none
After Windows Update - Performance Slow

Question

• Installed the retail 64 Bit/Home Premium version of W7 last night over 64 Bit Vista.  I had about a 30 minute session this a.m. and was feeling great about my experience.  When I logged off I got the "do not shut down during update" note and left the computer to do its thing.  When I booted up this evening the performance was shot to ____.  I'd type and no text would appear for about 20 seconds, got the "Not Responding" message on IE 8, icons clicked on the taskbar were slow to open and the boot time took entirely too long.

What was in the update that caused this?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Since the issue didn’t occur previously, you can try the following:

1.    Restore the system back to the status that the updates were not installed and the issue didn’t occur.

2.    Disable your security software, such as anti-virus, firewall, etc.

3.    Update again and see how it works.

Meanwhile, you can also try installing the updates in Clean Boot:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If the issue persists, please also let me know what the updates are.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hi Nicolas,

I have an issue with Windows Update KB233552.  Windows is exceptionally slow following this update (CPU usage @ 100% and physical memory at ~58%).  I believe that this update installed twice....the second update occured after the first process did not complete properly on shut down.

I've tried to uninstall the update per your directions above, however, the system "hangs" and will not initialte the uninstall routine.  Note: I have been able to uninstall the windows updates that occurred before and after update KD233552.

Kindly advise how to resolve.

Thanks in advance,

David Mosley

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Hi Nicolas,

I have an issue with Windows Update KB233552.  Windows is exceptionally slow following this update (CPU usage @ 100% and physical memory at ~58%).  I believe that this update installed twice....the second update occured after the first process did not complete properly on shut down.

I've tried to uninstall the update per your directions above, however, the system "hangs" and will not initialte the uninstall routine.  Note: I have been able to uninstall the windows updates that occurred before and after update KD233552.

Kindly advise how to resolve.

Thanks in advance,

David Mosley

Can you open up task manager (right click on the task bar and hit start task manager) and see what is using all your CPU?  You might have to click show processes from all users.  I assume you're referring to KB2533552, which is uninstallable but shouldn't have any performance repurcussions.

-Z

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:55 PM