none
Upgrade W8.1.1 Enterprise to W10 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a computer running Win 8.1.1 Enterprise. We do not have active SA on this license.

We upgraded the machine from Pro to Enterprise when we were considering using DirectAccess, but in the end, we decided not to deploy DA. So we no longer need the Enterprise SKU.

I know it's not possible to upgrade Win 8.1.1 Enterprise to Win 10 Enterprise using the free upgrade. However, is it possible to update to Windows 10 Pro using the free upgrade?

TIA

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is no free upgrade option from Windows 8.1 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise.

But if you use retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro , you will get offer to Windows 10 Pro.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Thanks for your reply! This was OEM W8.1. Will that qualify?

Specifically, if I run the 1511 version of the updater, can I do an in-place upgrade, enter the Win 8.1 OEM key, and have it upgrade to Win 10 Pro? Or will I need to do a clean W10 1511 install with the W8.1 OEM key?

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:05 PM
  • Hi JRVCr,

The machine is preinstalled with Windows 8.1 Pro, right?

The Windows 8.1 Pro product key could be used to activate Windows 10 Pro 10586 1511 .

Here is a link for reference:

Activation in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:59 AM
  • As long as the installer doesn't just see Enterprise edition and terminate. Guess I can try it and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 2:10 PM
  • You could also downgrade to 8.1 pro, keeping your applications and settings and then upgrade to 10 pro. Small registry change needed, just google it: "downgrade windows enterprise to pro" together with "regedit".
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:23 PM