none
Connecting O365 Sharepoint Calendar to Outlook 2016 'Unsupported Server' error

Question

• Hi,

We are running Office 2016 Pro Plus (Not O365 Click-to-run) on Windows 10 (Anniversary Update - 1607)

In O365, we have a departmental calendar and our team has Read Only access.  In O365 Sharepoint, we 'Connect to Outlook', which adds our shared sharepoint calendar to our Calendar view.  We have done this for many months.

However, we are seeing an issue now, which I can reproduce.

I open Outlook 2016 on my PC, navigate to Calendar tab, and I see a popup error:

"Unsupported Server

The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office".

Based on various online suggestions, I have tried removing the calendar .. File -> Account Settings -> Sharepoint Lists -> Remove the specific calendar.

Then, going to the O365 Sharepoint Site, selecting the calendar, and using the 'Connect to Outlook' to re-establish the link.  This will re-add the calendar to my Outlook, but as soon as I open the calendar tab, if it is selected, I see the above error.  It appears to be a 'when it tries to sync the calendar, throw an error'.

If anyone has encountered this, I'd really like to know if there is a solution for this?

Thanks.

Friday, October 07, 2016 12:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, make sure Read only access is assigned properly. And does this issue just occurs on outlook 2016 Pro Plus? How about other users or outlook versions?

Meanwhile, try the following steps to check this issue.

1. Remove the calendar from File -> Account Settings -> Sharepoint Lists -> Remove the specific calendar.
    2. Close outlook, refer to this article to re-create OST file.
    3. Go to control panel > credential manager > windows credentials > under generic credentials, remove all the items which are microsoftoffice15_data and microsoftoffice16_data.
    4. Open outlook, go to the O365 Sharepoint Site, selecting the calendar, and using the 'Connect to Outlook' to re-establish the link.

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 07, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Just to re-state, this O365 calendar has been working for many months with Windows 10/Office 2016.  No permission changes have been made to the O365 calendar, and the only changes to the desktop is standard Windows Update patches.  We are seeing this on at least 2 x W10 devices for now, both are W10/1607 (others are still 1511)

I'm really interested in what has caused the breakage ..  

Thanks for the reply.

Friday, October 07, 2016 12:59 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing:

A SharePoint Online calendar was added to Outlook. People were able to edit the SharePoint calendar within Outlook just fine. Some recent update, somewhere (Outlook client, SharePoint Online server, ?) broke this functionality and now this error message appears:

"Unsupported Server

The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office".

Friday, October 07, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Also, if you start Outlook in Safe Mode (outlook.exe /safe), this problem does not seem to happen. The SharePoint calendar loads in Outlook fine, without the error message.
    Friday, October 07, 2016 7:58 PM
  • Just as an exercise, I built a new W10/1607 Enterprise, did not run any updates.

Installed a new Office 2016.

Tested The Outlook/O365 Calendar, and i worked fine.

Ran all the updates against Windows and Office, and everything still worked fine.

So at this stage, I can only assume that perhaps there is an Outlook/Office update that broke things, that must have been superseded by an update that doesn't break things.

I'll compare update histories soon, see what pops up ..

Monday, October 10, 2016 1:01 AM
  • I was working with Microsoft support on this Friday and they said they planned to release a patch during the weekend and they would check back Monday.

So far there have been no Office updates and radio silence from MS.

Monday, October 10, 2016 4:43 PM
  • We are fighting the same problem here.  I believe I have narrowed it down to KB3118374.  Uninstalling that update has immediately resolved the error on a few test machines, about to deploy this to the rest of the machines.
    Monday, October 10, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Removing this patch also corrected this issue for my machine (surface book, new OS rebuild, win 10 anniversary, office 2016 x86)
    Monday, October 10, 2016 10:05 PM
  • Just curious, any news on an update from MS?
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:57 AM
  • Uninstall seems to fix the issue temporarily for us.   I think I've narrowed it down to  only happening on SharePoint calendars in O365.   Can anyone else confirm?   We're looking for a better solution then just uninstalling the patch.

Thanks

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:55 PM
  • We are only seeing this with SharePoint Calendars connected via Outlook.

We've also confirmed that removing KB3118374 "fixes" the issue. Hopefully a revised patch will be released soon.

Additionally, since this is an Office patch, it can be excluded from deployments and is not part of the Windows bundled updates.

• Edited by Reid_G Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:25 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:55 PM
  • It also happens when only SharePoint tasks from O365 are synct.

Uninstalling KB3118374 fixed it.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 8:34 PM
  • I can confirm that uninstalling the patch resolves the issue.  So far it has only affected users with Office 365 SharePoint calendars attached to Outlook.  No problems with Public Folder calendars.  Waiting to see if MS releases a new patch on the client or SharePoint side before looking for a larger solution.
    Friday, October 14, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Just an update on our end we put in a ticket with O365 support and they told us they couldn't help us because we were using the MSI version of Office 2016 and not the C2R version so that happened.  

We are trying to escalate/request that they ya know...maybe make an effort and see if they could tell us when we can expect a patch or transfer the issue to the appropriate team but haven't heard back.   Little islands of tech support make for great experiences!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:17 PM
  • Same error here. Win10Ent/1607 w/ Office 2016 Pro Plus connecting to O365 Sharepoint calendars.
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:20 PM
  • Just an update on our end we put in a ticket with O365 support and they told us they couldn't help us because we were using the MSI version of Office 2016 and not the C2R version so that happened.  

We are trying to escalate/request that they ya know...maybe make an effort and see if they could tell us when we can expect a patch or transfer the issue to the appropriate team but haven't heard back.   Little islands of tech support make for great experiences!

I too put in a support request with Office 365 and got the same response. They even closed the ticket on me.  I am not a very satisfied customer at the moment.   I haven't found an easy way to uninstall this update on my over 1700 computers that are affected.  Does anyone have a command line that can I can script out to remove this update?  

I tried using wusa /uninstall /kb:3118374 /quiet /norestart but that does not seem to work

• Edited by bwilkerson217 Friday, October 21, 2016 2:15 PM added command
    Friday, October 21, 2016 2:01 PM
  • We have also ran into this issue. I can confirm that uninstalling KB3118374 has resolved the issue. I hope Microsoft is able to provide an adequate and timely resolution for this.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Thankyou, we have also experienced this issue at our school, predominantly affecting our admin staff.  As you've advised, removing KB3118374 resolves the issue.  I've blocked the update in SCCM, hopefully MS get around to fixing it some time soon!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:58 PM
  • So, has anyone else just given up on MS ability to fix this annoying issue?  It's approaching a month since this KB was released, and everything seems to have gone silent.  There were a whole bunch of Office updated that came down for us today, which lifted my hopes, but sadly, they did nothing to fix the issue.

Does anyone know any way to prod the Office team to pay attention and fix this?

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 5:38 AM
  • So, has anyone else just given up on MS ability to fix this annoying issue?  It's approaching a month since this KB was released, and everything seems to have gone silent.  There were a whole bunch of Office updated that came down for us today, which lifted my hopes, but sadly, they did nothing to fix the issue.

Does anyone know any way to prod the Office team to pay attention and fix this?

This is unacceptable is what it is.  I have tried different avenues of support with Microsoft and they have all basically told me that I am out of luck or just ignored the problem.

At this point I just wish there was a command line or PowerShell script I could use to remove this update.   It seems that the only way to uninstall it is to do it by hand individually.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 4:29 PM
  • We're probably going to roll out O365 pro plus as the "fix".   Currently we're uninstalling as they come in as it only affects a small number of users.

I haven't tried it but this guy did it with dism

Okay, so download the update .msu file from Microsoft (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3118374)

32 bits

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2016/09/mso-x-none_5fbd83ffed8a1...

64 bits

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2016/09/mso-x-none_0477ba05e8bce...

Copy it to the C:\ or C:\Update folder of the remote computer and use powershell to remove it

32 bits 

Powershell
    DISM.exe /Online /Remove-Package /PackagePath:c:\mso-x-none_5fbd83ffed8a10a9c55bb35c1576a41762e26a2f.cab /Quiet /NoRestart

64 bits 

Powershell
    DISM.exe /Online /Remove-Package /PackagePath:c:\mso-x-none_0477ba05e8bce7826fcc3d8c6a8cf85f48994d01.cab /Quiet /NoRestart

From

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1863298-outlook-2016-issue-with-kb3118374-october-2016-updates

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 5:11 PM
  • We have hundreds of devices running O2016 Pro Plus, and the effort involved in trying to uninstall this KB across our fleet is enormous, and we have much better (and more important) things to do with our limited resources.

Does anyone know any way to 'escalate' this issue, that we could add our voices to, to hopefully motivate some action?

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 10:11 PM
  • We're probably going to roll out O365 pro plus as the "fix".   Currently we're uninstalling as they come in as it only affects a small number of users.

I haven't tried it but this guy did it with dism

Okay, so download the update .msu file from Microsoft (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3118374)

32 bits

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2016/09/mso-x-none_5fbd83ffed8a1...

64 bits

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2016/09/mso-x-none_0477ba05e8bce...

Copy it to the C:\ or C:\Update folder of the remote computer and use powershell to remove it

32 bits 

Powershell
    DISM.exe /Online /Remove-Package /PackagePath:c:\mso-x-none_5fbd83ffed8a10a9c55bb35c1576a41762e26a2f.cab /Quiet /NoRestart

64 bits 

Powershell
    DISM.exe /Online /Remove-Package /PackagePath:c:\mso-x-none_0477ba05e8bce7826fcc3d8c6a8cf85f48994d01.cab /Quiet /NoRestart

From

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1863298-outlook-2016-issue-with-kb3118374-october-2016-updates

I have tried this over and over and cannot get it to work.  Now there is a new update KB3127909 and that still has the same problem as the previous update.  
    Thursday, November 03, 2016 1:11 AM
  • yep I have just noticed this!
    Friday, November 04, 2016 9:31 AM
  • I have been trying to get support out of Microsoft for this and I cannot. I am really angry at this point. We pay for a Volume license agreement and pay for enterprise Office365 and in order to get support for a problem they created with their patch they want me to pay $499 for a incident.

I have a feeling that this issue is going to keep coming back every month with a new patch and with no easy way to know beforehand what patch it will be that breaks it again and apparently no easy way to remove this patch once it is installed on hundreds to thousands of computers this will be a nightmare.  

Anyone having any luck getting this patch removed via command line or anything I can set to deploy to all my machines?

It can be set to remove from WSUS but since I also have System Center Configuration Manager in my environment all my computers report to that and not to WSUS.  This means WSUS has no way to tell which machines have the patch installed so it can be removed.

Friday, November 04, 2016 3:24 PM
  • You may want to check out this article (http://prajwaldesai.com/how-to-rollback-a-patch-using-configuration-manager/) on removing a patch using SCCM in your case.

Friday, November 04, 2016 7:18 PM
  • You may want to check out this article (http://prajwaldesai.com/how-to-rollback-a-patch-using-configuration-manager/) on removing a patch using SCCM in your case.

The patches here cannot be removed that way. Using wsua.exe /uninstall /kb:XXXXXXX does not work with these patches.

I have had luck with this command though however:

Msiexec /package {90160000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE="{FE58B0D2-C5E4-494B-A6D1-0838B8B9DD8F}" /qb

This will remove KB3127909 from the system but only partially.  However it is enough to correct the SharePoint Calendar problem.

The problem remains is that it is very likely a new patch will come and break it all over again.  I was able to get in touch with my Microsoft rep and he opened a case for me with pro support that I will post any details here if it goes well.

Friday, November 04, 2016 7:59 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue for all my devices that link a Sharepoint Contact list to their Outlook.

Rolling back the update solved the problem, but it comes back with automatic updates and we don't use WSUS to manage updates anymore since we moved to O365 so we'd have to set all devices to manual updates to avoid the reinstallation (which I am hoping to avoid).

If it helps, the contact list was create in Sharepoint 2010 then migrated to Sharepoint Online, and the clients are using Outlook 2016 from an Office 2016 offline installation (VLSC).

Monday, November 07, 2016 5:29 PM
  • We are also having this problem. The best part it is mostly senior staff that are having the issue with SharePoint Online Calendars and Outlook 2016 MSI. Click to run installations are not having the issue. I am testing to see if removing KB3118374 fixes the issue but that means having to touch machines in three different states. You would think MS would test these products but if Windows 10 patching is any indication we know that we get to do the testing for them.

Mark

Monday, November 07, 2016 6:47 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue for all my devices that link a Sharepoint Contact list to their Outlook.

Rolling back the update solved the problem, but it comes back with automatic updates and we don't use WSUS to manage updates anymore since we moved to O365 so we'd have to set all devices to manual updates to avoid the reinstallation (which I am hoping to avoid).

If it helps, the contact list was create in Sharepoint 2010 then migrated to Sharepoint Online, and the clients are using Outlook 2016 from an Office 2016 offline installation (VLSC).

Update:
    The exact same issue is occurring with a Sharepoint calendar that we migrated from Sharepoint 2010 to Sharepoint Online, and are trying to connect to Outlook 2016 (offline desktop version).
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 12:33 AM
  • Well here we go again, after removing KB3118374 form the machines that needed the workaround we are back to square 1 after the November updates.  The problem has come back and affects with the Office 2016 MSI install and an Office 365 synced SharePoint calendar.  Is MS even listening?  The amount of re-do work they are creating for us is ridiculous.....

Friday, November 11, 2016 6:00 PM
  • From another thread on this issue, a few hours ago:

"I am told that the bug is acknowledge by Microsoft and the issue is in "triage" status.  According to my Microsoft Technical Account Manager this means the bug has not been issued severity and there is no eta on a hotfix or patch.  "

Anyone have any idea how we can escalate this within Microsoft, to get the issue in front of the right people to get this resolved (and stop this sort of thing happening again in future)?  It's getting beyond a joke, and affecting more and more people on our sites..

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:52 AM
  • After rolling back 50 separate updates (thanks MS....) I believe it is KB3127909 that is the culprit during this month's updates.  Looking forward to this game in December!
    Friday, November 18, 2016 1:51 PM
  • After rolling back 50 separate updates (thanks MS....) I believe it is KB3127909 that is the culprit during this month's updates.  Looking forward to this game in December!

Removing this update worked for me on a user I had just removed the KB3118374 update yesterday. Thanks for posting this feedback quickly!
    Friday, November 18, 2016 6:42 PM
  • I'm not seeing KB3118374 in SCCM anymore...It looks like it might have been replaced by KB3127909

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3118374

Friday, November 18, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Thanks, removing this update is working for us - quite ridiculous that this is still an issue!
    Monday, December 05, 2016 3:33 AM
  • I have recently jumped on this bandwagon. We have recently begun pushing outlook to all our clients and seem to be experiencing the same issue. Uninstalling the referenced updates (at least for this month) seem to have resolved the issue temporarily. 
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:10 PM
  • New Office Updates are out and I just applied them to my workstation and restarted.  I connected several SharePoint calendars from my Office 365 and I get no errors and data shows up on the calendar. 

Anyone else apply the recent updates that can vouch the update to fix the problem caused by KB3118374?

Not sure which update fixed it as there are several for Office 2016 that came out.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 7:45 PM
  • Do you think one of the December 6, 2016 updates fixes the problem, or, none of the December 6, 2016 updates have the problem?

I seem to think it's the later.

I installed all of the December 6, 2016 updates on a laptop that also had KB3127909 installed. The problem remained. I uninstalled KB3127909 and the problem disappeared.

Thursday, December 08, 2016 12:20 AM
  • I have patched numerous machines (W10 Enterprise) with the latest December updates.  The problem remains :-(

The buggy KB3127909 is still installed.

I need to see an new update come down that repairs (supercedes?) the existing issue with our machines which have the KB installed, so I'm not uninstalling any existing KBs, which I know will fix (i.e. hide) the problem.

We're into 2 months+ with this issue.  I have tried to contact MS support, through about 4 different channels.  After jumping through numerous hoops, I'm eventually told, 'that's a Outlook Client issue, our team only supports O365', you can contact support through you Software Assurance Agreement (we're a school, so no support with our agreement), or you can pay AU$350 to create a ticket.

What comes after frustration?  I'm completely over this .. as are many of our staff .. 

Friday, December 09, 2016 4:30 AM
  • December Office update has caused the issue once again.  Don't install kb3127990.

Office updates that cause "Unsupported Server: The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office"

kb3127909
    KB3118374
    kb3127990

I just got off the phone with tech support.  They assure me that an update is coming out soon that will fix this issue, but it's the updates that are causing it!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:45 PM
  • For me, December's problem update was:

KB3127986

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:08 PM
  • I have spent this afternoon looking for the December one also.  I had success with KB3127986 but went ahead and blocked kb3127990 as well to be sure.

Looking forward to an actual fix.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Removing kb3127990 fixed it on computers with Outlook 2016 and Windows 8.1, but we also had to remove KB3127986 for computers with Windows 10.
    Monday, December 19, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Well the patch to fix this issue was finally released

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3141473

KB3141473

• Proposed as answer by bwilkerson217 Thursday, January 05, 2017 2:05 PM
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 2:05 PM
  • The patch listed above by bwilkerson217 has fixed the issue for me.

KB3141473

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Did we break again??????   Sharepoint is down for me again.
    Monday, February 06, 2017 7:22 PM