none
Cannot eject USB mass storage for any hardware combination

Question

• I originally posted in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/703d58e6-b7d1-4525-8985-6f6e2b99b6a2
    A lot of people are getting the exact same symptoms. Dabur972 asked me to create a new thread, maybe it will get more attention.

Also scanned for rootkits/spyware with gmer, RootkitRevealer, and clamscan; bad sectors/corruption with chkdsk and smartmontools. No abnormalities found. Also tested on laptop with Windows XP Professional x86--ejects fine.
    Suffering from the exact same problem (can't eject) on Windows 7 Professional x64. I'm fairly positive it is independent of the hardware, as it occurs on the following USB enclosure and hard drive configurations:

IcyDock MB561S-4S
    IcyDock
    MB664US-1S
    Startech SATADOCK22UE

Hitachi HD32000 2TB
    Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1 TB
    WD WD20EADS 2TB

System: Intel DG45FC with latest drivers

Besides these, I have not tested other models, so I have not seen a hardware configuration that does not suffer from this problem. Furthermore, these configurations eject without problems on my other dual-boot Debian/Mac OS X 10.4 in both operating systems. Only Windows 7 exhibits the problem.

As the OP stated, LockHunter (x64 1.0 beta 3 in my case) shows locking by the System on the following paths:
    drive:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TextLog\$TxtLogContainer00000000000000001
    drive:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TextLog\$TxtLog.bif
    drive:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TextLog\$TxtLogContainer00000000000000002

Process Explorer AND Handle, both Microsoft applications show "No matching handles found." Thus I suspect it is some shadow system process running in the background (maybe Microsoft's Samba server?) that is locking the files in a way that the operating system API cannot even detect. However, the problem occurs even when I am not connected to the server from another PC.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies