none
Virtual Disk Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Slysoft Virtual Clone Drive fails to work on the x64 version of 7 Beta.  Works just fine on x86, as well as on the pre-beta's.  On Beta1 x64 however, it installs but locks the PC during shutdown or restart.  It also locks any uninstallation attempts.  After a hard reset, you have to enter safe mode and do a restore to a previous state.   Very annoying, considering Daemon Tools does not work with any of the Win 7 versions.  Ultra ISO works fine, however, it doesn't label the media, meaning you cannot do multi-disk installs.

Can we get a fix?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

• I did in fact try the 5.4.1.4 beta also... same issue.  It will hang on shutdown (or restart) and after a very long wait will give a BSOD.  I tried again after a format and clean install.  I made sure to install Virtual Clone first so as to avoid possible application incompatibilities.  Same issue.  It's an issue with driver incompatibility I believe. edit: It gives a Driver_Power_State_Failure BSOD.

@GreyWolfSC - have you tried installing Virtual Clone on x64 Win 7?

Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:06 PM

All replies

• What version of Virtual ClonEDive did you try on your 64bit box? Did you try the latest beta?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:36 PM
  • The latest beta (5.4.1.4) supports x64 and works with Windows 7. The program and information is in SlySoft's forum here.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:50 PM
  • MagicDisc 64-bit does the exact same thing as the current release version of CloneDrive. I ended up using PismoMount to get the job done. I'm glad to know the latest CloneDrive works (even though its a beta).
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:28 PM
  • PowerISO works
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:55 PM
  • I did in fact try the 5.4.1.4 beta also... same issue.  It will hang on shutdown (or restart) and after a very long wait will give a BSOD.  I tried again after a format and clean install.  I made sure to install Virtual Clone first so as to avoid possible application incompatibilities.  Same issue.  It's an issue with driver incompatibility I believe. edit: It gives a Driver_Power_State_Failure BSOD.

@GreyWolfSC - have you tried installing Virtual Clone on x64 Win 7?

Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Ok, got Virtual Clone to work.  Anytime you make changes, such as changing the number of drives, it locks up... And will keep doing so unless you go into safe mode and restart it from there.  The reason i'm assuming is that it needs to complete a reboot properly in order to make the necessary changes, and since it won't let you complete a proper reboot under normal conditions, you have to boot into safe mode to complete one. 
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Daemon Tools won't install.
    Magic Disk 2.715 installs, mounts, but does nothing/hangs when attempting to access the drive.  It also won't uninstall from the programs control panel.  (Executable in program files)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:05 AM
  • JSandys said:

MagicDisc 64-bit does the exact same thing as the current release version of CloneDrive. I ended up using PismoMount to get the job done. I'm glad to know the latest CloneDrive works (even though its a beta).

Thanks for the mention of PismoMount.  I really like the simplicity of this product; and the fact that it works in w7.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:09 AM
  • ChristopherLo said:

Daemon Tools won't install.

Daemon Tools does not install, because SPTD does not support Windows 7 Beta and they are not willing to (even they are "almost" on every computer, even BETA). See http://forum.duplexsecure.com/showthread.php?t=537 and http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/daemon-tools-windows-7-a-22576/

I have also tried running the installer it as admin with Vista compatibility enabled.

Btw. do you know another comparable solution, so I might consider moving to their competitors?
    (usage: ISO/BIN/MDF/NRG/... from software vendors, internet)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:22 PM
  • hy,ultra iso work graet for 64 bit version...
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:53 PM
  • +1 for UltraIso. Iso management and virtual cd all in one.
    Adriano Arrigo MVP Windows Desktop Experience ITALY
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:04 PM
    Answerer
  •  I am using Microsofts Virtual Cdrom - FREE - and it loads and plays iso versions of our DVD Games (Tomb Raider Anniversary) with no problems on a clean install of Win7 Beta.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7841-4978-96f5-bd58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

I haven't tried it on a 64bit system though
    --Gary
    Excuse my English - I'm an Aussie
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:39 AM
  • I`ve tried Microsoft Virtual CD on Windows 7 x64, it doesn`t work. It stops with the message "The driver has been blocked from loading." ?

printscreen
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:19 PM
  •  Thanks for PismoMount. Really helpful program.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I prefer PowerIso and I dont even think they have made a win7 version yet.
    zero061099
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 11:17 PM
  • I use PGP Desktop 9.6 for my virtual disks. Absolutely no problems with installing or functioning.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Try Virtual CD 9 it works in Windows 7....as well.....supports safedisc and secrurom too.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Deleted
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:36 PM
  • There's a new beta version of Virtual Clone Drive out now.The interessting part of the change log:

"- New: Added support for Windows 7 (beta)".

Some users report that Win 7 problems are solved now.

Windows 7 x64 - Gigabyte EP-45-DS3 (Intel P45 chip set), 4GB RAM, ATI 4670
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:00 PM