NWLink IPX/SPX

Question

• I had NWLink/ NetBios and NWLink IPX/SPX protocol on all of my xp computers, after installing Vista there is not an option for them.  Is Microsoft going to release an update, or is there a way to install them from somewhere else?
    Wednesday, February 7, 2007 6:27 PM

All replies

• YOU DO THIS IN YOUR OWN RISK.

If you do this, take backups.

Requires: MS Windows XP (SP2):

1)
    Create new folder named 'temp' to root of your Vista drive ( C: ).
    Copy the following files from XP (or expand from XP CD) installation:

Windows\System32\drivers\nwlnkipx.sys
    Windows\System32\drivers\nwlnkflt.sys
    Windows\System32\drivers\nwlnkfwd.sys
    Windows\System32\drivers\nwlnknb.sys
    Windows\System32\drivers\nwlnkspx.sys

Windows\System32\rtipxmib.dll
    Windows\System32\wshisn.dll
    Windows\System32\nwprovau.dll

(Following folder is hidden)
    Windows\inf\netnwlnk.inf
    Windows\inf\netnwlnk.pnf

to C:\Temp,
    and to corresponding Vista folders.

2)
    Control Panel->Network Center->Manage network connections.
    Right-click your LAN connection and select Properties.

Click Install..., select Protocol and click Add...

The NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocol may be listed on the Network Protocol list.
    DO NOT SELECT IT.

Click Have Disk... Browse to C:\Temp. Select netnwlnk.inf.
    Click OK.
    Select NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS from the list.
    Vista will tell you that the publisher could not be verified.
    Click Install.

If all goes well, the protocol should be now installed.
    Restart computer.
    Thursday, February 8, 2007 4:03 PM
  • This doesn't seem to work because it errors with "not digitally signed".  I think MS locked down 64 drivers all requiren digital signatures to prevent root attacks.

I sure wish I know how to go around the digital sig requirement or get XP IPX/SPX digitally signed.  As old as these protocals are, it seemed to be needed for my pretty new Linksys BEFSR81 for all my filesharing on the other XP machines.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 10:40 PM
  • Just checked from MS Technet site, the IPX/SPX protocol is not available on Windows Vista 64-Bit Edition.
    So, if you use x64, you can't use IPX/SPX.....or wait Novell release a working solution on it.

Ref:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/26e41adf-f1b6-4ca9-b5d7-adf162300bc31033.mspx?mfr=true

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 4:58 AM
  • How can I install the "Client Service for Netware" on a computer running Windows Vista Business ?

What files should I copy from XP to Vista folders ?

Thanks.

Friday, March 9, 2007 1:35 PM
  • I would suggest you to wait Novell to release the offical Client for Vista.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Novell did release a client for Vista.
    http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=yIEJzwGwlu0

But when I tried to connect to a Netware 3.12 server via this Novell Client, it failed.
    I think the Novell Client could only work with later versions of Netware.

So, maybe the only chance to connect from Vista to Netware 3.12 server is the method you mentioned above.
    Would you please help me to find out what files I will need to install "Client Service for Netware" on Vista computer ?

Thank you very much.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:32 AM
  •  

The problem I had using that solution should be able to be solved. I followed the instructions precisely. However, it wasn't the digital signature requirment which made it fail.

When I reached the part:

Select NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS from the list.

Vista will tell you that the publisher could not be verified.

Click Install.

an error dialog stated:

Could not add the requested feature. The error is: The specified module could not be found.

I WAS going to ask what to do, but having checked the .INF file contents, it appears that Vista does not want to automatically install the three DLL files into the %systemroot%\system32 directory. I therefore manually copied them there before trying again.

This time, it completed successfully. It may take a LONG time - this may have been because my network connection was very active at the time with another "sorting out Vista" job Big Smile

It requires a reboot just like the good old days.

After reboot, the IPX/SPX protocol shows in the network connection dialog. As yet, I can't actually get it to work and I do not have a means of testing it other than one program which states:

IPX protocol not found.

I can't believe that is anything to do with firewall etc althogh I did allow the program on local network only. For the moment I am assuming that the program itself doesn't like Vista although every other part of it not requiring a network connection works.

Any ideas gratefully received! In the meantime, inserting those three DLLs in the system32 directory before installing the protocol may solve some other users' problem.

(This relates to WinXP Pro SP2 version of the files and Vista Ultimate for the installation so it may not be the same for you.)

If you have a problem with getting Vista to accept your instructions to accept a driver which is not digitally signed, that is an entirely different matter of security which you probably want to read up on if you want to get any further with Vista!

Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:09 AM
  • I talk with Microsoft's staffs in Networking team, they said IPX/SPX is completely removed from Vista.

So, the only way to get it work is using the client from Novell. I think it's the offical answer.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:40 AM
  • Thanks for confirming that. Without sufficient justification for that, we'll have to retain a Windows XP partition for that software (we already have to maintain a Windows 98SE one for their previous releases).

Saturday, March 31, 2007 5:43 PM
  • From tech on 4/1/2007

Prasan} I am just checking with this Nwlink protocol, if this supports in Windows Vista or not?
    {Prasan} Just give 3-5minutes so that I will do a research on this and come back to you witht he solution?
    {Don Hill} Thank you
    {Don Hill} Connected?
    {Don Hill} Hello
    {Prasan} I am sorry for the delay but I got a solution which you can do on your own risk, is that okay with you?
    {Don Hill} Yes
    {Prasan} Thank you Don, I will provide you the link now.
    {Prasan} http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1200750&SiteID=17
    {Prasan} You can open this link and check you will find the solution for this.
    {Don Hill} I sell programming for hardware that NEEDS Nwlink.
    {Prasan} Okay, did you check with this link, this will work for you?
    {Don Hill} Link says it does not work because Nwlink is not supported by Vista.
    {Prasan} But you can use it on your risk by doing it manually or you need to wait for few days so that there will be some update related to this from Microsoft.
    {Don Hill} How will I know if and when an update from MS is released?
    {Prasan} It will automatically get updated to your system if the Automatic Updates are on your computer.
    {Prasan} Or it will prompt for the update and you can check the update and then install it on your computer.
    {Don Hill} When?
    {Prasan} I am sorry but I don't have much idea about it, but they are working on these types of issue.
    {Don Hill} You said wait a few days. Who will know if this will be updated or not and when?
    {Prasan} I am sorry to say about this , but I don't have any idea on which time or date it is going to release.
    {Don Hill} Then why did you say "Wait a few days"?
    {Prasan} Because Vista is new and the updates are coming on slowly, and this issue is been raised previously also and the research team is working on this.
    {Prasan} So I mentioned wait for few days and so.
    {Don Hill} Is it ok to post this response on the forum you listed?
    {Prasan}

That depend on your risk, I cannot give assurance related to this issue, so times it may work and some times it may not, as these are not digitally signed by Microsoft.

Don Hill

f1racefan@msn.com

Monday, April 2, 2007 12:06 AM
  • From the information provided by the Networking team in MS, I think MS will not add Nwlink back.

Novell was changed to use TCP/IP for a long time. NWlink is only useful for legacy system. 

It's just like Vista 64bit will not support 16bit software anymore.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 3:51 AM
  • regarding the 'solution' given above, it doesn't work for me. it installs the protocol, yes, but it doesn't allow to configure it!!! so of course it's no use at all, no game will recognize the protocol even being there..

is there a solution for this?

and will or will not there be an update that will add the ipx/spx support?? i guess it is quite important for pro-gamers etc., as games like starcraft or red alert 2 require it for the multiplayer to function... my point is maybe it's out-of-date for windows and novell but a lot of other software depend on this, so why not include it in vista??
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 7:05 PM
  • There are thousands of SCADA machine/site installs that have used NW quite well.

If it was always in Win versions, why take it out?

Don Hill

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 9:04 PM
  •  a_t wrote:

is there a solution for this?

Yes. Multiboot. If you have a full license or a full upgrade license to Vista, you are licensed to retain the use of any previous versions you had a license for. OEM upgrade licenses apply to a machine so you are not entitled to change back. (Don't come back at me - I am not Microsoft and I have a full upgrade license so I can multi-boot back to XP.)

and will or will not there be an update that will add the ipx/spx support??

It seems not. At least, Microsoft are not going to produce one. Maybe Novell will provide a backward compatibility module, but if MS don't support it, it means you need some kind of relationship with Novell to get support anyway. If you merely got a game which has IPX as its sole protocol for LAN play, your game developer is unlikely to upgrade it - rather spend the dev time on the new game!

i guess it is quite important for pro-gamers etc., as games like starcraft or red alert 2 require it for the multiplayer to function... my point is maybe it's out-of-date for windows and novell but a lot of other software depend on this, so why not include it in vista??

Well, Starcraft is from the Blizzard stable and looking at WofW, they seem deeply rooted in IP development, don't you think?

Interesting that you mention RA2. Westwood Studios (an EA company) didn't learn their lesson when not only would Red Alert (the original) not work in compatibility mode in Windows XP. Even if they had WANTED to, because their coding design was simply BAD (the network components of the game itself were embedded in the game code instead of being separate objects etc etc) which meant that in order to provide an upgrade patch which would work in WinXP, they would have had to rewrite the entire game! Even if that had been viable (maybe just to maintain their reputation for supporting their games), they hadn't included sufficient security to stop widespread pirating so the reqrite would have become available to the pirate users too. That's all she wrote! But why on EARTH they wrote RA2 etc to depend on IPX on LAN instead of IP which was already included in the networking components, who can say?

I can't see them upgrading RA2 though. It's ancient in gamer terms. So YOUR solution would be multi-boot to WinXP for those things. You don't need to maintain huge partitions for it - today's hard disks are massive compared with the ones when these games/programs came out and it needn't cost you a penny if you already have the correct OS license. (Red Alert would be a tough one - I am still working out how to convince Windows 98SE that 2GB of RAM is not a problem as I only want it to use however much it wants, but that's simply tweaking time with the System.ini file! lol)

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 10:55 PM
  •  Anonymous wrote:

There are thousands of SCADA machine/site installs that have used NW quite well.

If it was always in Win versions, why take it out?

Don Hill

In many things they do - and mostly HOW they do them - I am not a great fan of Microsoft - but I blame the laws controlling monopolies in the country in which they are based which Microsoft simply used to corporate advantage which is their right!

But was Microsoft required to restrict the development of a major new version of its OS to suit backward compatibility for one somewhat jaded network protocol developed by another company and used on a minority of the target users of the new version of the OS for a small sample of software? I don't think so but that's only my opinion.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, "thousands of SCADA machine/site" is rather a tiny number compared with how many machines (of many platforms) are already using IP exclusively as their network protocol. Connect a printer to the LAN? IP. Connect Network Attached Storage? IP. No choice to use IPX in any of these or many other cases.

Unless you are running Netware full-blown, this is not an issue. If you are, it's between you and Novell whose protocol it is. If you are simply using IPX for some games or an odd piece of software, you don't even have a comeback at Novell so it's up to you to multi-boot. If you are only working on a LAN with IPX, keep a WinXP partition and lock the internet out of it. Keep the OS as small as you can to allow the software which requires IPX to run and it will reboot in a matter of seconds to play your RA2 or use your IPX connected software across the LAN and then switch back again. The Vista reboot may take a little longer, but presumably you need to do other things during those moments and not watch paint dry lol

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 11:04 PM
  • I just  wonder, running WinXP by Virtual PC or VMware in Vista can be help too. Rather than dual boot...

However, playing PC games on LAN with IPX is another story...

Friday, April 6, 2007 4:27 PM
  •  

I Tried it and it didn't work.

Double checked to make sure all files were in correct vista folders, with a c:\temp folder which

contained all files.

I had no option for ipx in the add protocol folder, i browsed to the c:temp folder clicked add

vista said no drivers found.

I am using vista 64bit....maybe that could be a problem with the work around.

Thanks for trying anyway

R. Beach

Monday, April 9, 2007 3:53 AM
  • Close this thread now.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:18 PM