none
Adding Drivers to Boot.wim in WDS

Question

• Hello Everyone,

I'm new with using WDS.  I'm currently have everything working..ex PXE boot and able to capture and restor images.

Today I ran into my first issue.  I have a new Lenovo M58 desktop which my boot.wim image doesn't have drivers for.  Can anyone please assist me with the simplest way to add drivers to the boot.wim image.

Also, I've noticed that uploading and deploying images with WDS is very slow.  Is there any way to make it faster or maybe compress the images ?

Thanks

Sean
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:38 PM

Answers

•  There's a new feature in Server2008R2 that simplifies this. You can right click on a boot image in the WDS management console, and hit "Add Driver Packages to Image". You'll need to have already added the driver to the WDS driver store in order for this to work (another new Server08R2 feature.)
    • Marked as answer by Sean.Lumbania Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hi Guys,

You'll need to change the mount command as follows (Only applies if you are using the boot.wim from the Vista/W2K8 DVD):

Imagex /mountrw C:\boot.wim 2 C:\MOUNT

notice the "1" has been replaced with the number "2".

Regards,
    David
    • Proposed as answer by xrothgarx Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean.Lumbania Monday, June 15, 2009 12:44 AM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi Sean

If you haven't already, download and install WAIK. From <start><all programs><Microsoft Windows AIK> run Windows PE Tools Command

Mount your boot.wim
    (i assume boot.wim on C:\ and you have an empty folder called C:\MOUNT and your Driver is in c:\driver)

Imagex /mountrw C:\boot.wim 1 C:\MOUNT

Add driver

Peimg /inf:c:\driver\driver.inf c:\mount\windows

Save changes to boot.wim

Imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

That should be it, just add the changed boot.wim to wds

Not sure there is a way to speed up adding the boot image other than using WDSUTIL from a command prompt

WDSUTIL /Add-Image /ImageFile:<bootimage> /ImageType:boot 

Michael petersen

http://blog.coretech.dk/osdeploy/
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Sean

If you haven't already, download and install WAIK. From <start><all programs><Microsoft Windows AIK> run Windows PE Tools Command

Mount your boot.wim
    (i assume boot.wim on C:\ and you have an empty folder called C:\MOUNT and your Driver is in c:\driver)

Imagex /mountrw C:\boot.wim 1 C:\MOUNT

Add driver

Peimg /inf:c:\driver\driver.inf c:\mount\windows

Save changes to boot.wim

Imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

That should be it, just add the changed boot.wim to wds

Not sure there is a way to speed up adding the boot image other than using WDSUTIL from a command prompt

WDSUTIL /Add-Image /ImageFile:<bootimage> /ImageType:boot 

Michael petersen

http://blog.coretech.dk/osdeploy/
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:21 AM
  •  There's a new feature in Server2008R2 that simplifies this. You can right click on a boot image in the WDS management console, and hit "Add Driver Packages to Image". You'll need to have already added the driver to the WDS driver store in order for this to work (another new Server08R2 feature.)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:31 PM
  • Hi Michael and Aaron,

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately we are using R2.  So I guess I will have to stick it out with the command prompt. Thanks again guys!!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I have the same problem when I try to use PXE to install windows server 2008 on a new server. I follow the three steps mention by Michael to add device driver into the boot image, then add the new boot.wim into wds, make sure it is online.

Then I try to run the installation again. After I select the new boot image the same "newtwork card driver not found" error message still show up!

I am sure that the driver I use is the right one. It seems that the problem is the boot image remain unchange regardless of the .inf file that I add.
    I mount the boot.wim image on wds server and check directory "C:\mount\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository". I can clear see the driver has been successfully added(b57amd64.inf_7663d4f0). But when "newtwork card driver not found" error message appear, I press shift+F10 and check directory "X:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository". I couldn't find the same files mentioned previously in here. It is really strange that the changes on the boot image does not affect the installation process at all.

Could anyone kindly help me with this strange problem? Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Travis, did you find a solution to this?  I am having the exact same problem with the same network driver, but with Windows PE.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Hi Guys,

You'll need to change the mount command as follows (Only applies if you are using the boot.wim from the Vista/W2K8 DVD):

Imagex /mountrw C:\boot.wim 2 C:\MOUNT

notice the "1" has been replaced with the number "2".

Regards,
    David
    • Proposed as answer by xrothgarx Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean.Lumbania Monday, June 15, 2009 12:44 AM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:55 AM
  • There is a third party tool at www.smartdeploy.com that makes driver injection much easier with WDS. They have Lenovo driver templates available for download here that might solve your problem.
    Sugoi!
    • Proposed as answer by MS_v-2TJ Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MS_v-2TJ Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:46 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 6:42 PM
  • 1. Copy the boot.wim file from the win 7 x64 to the c:\test folder.
    2. Create a folder name c:\mount

>>>>>Use the DISM command to add the drivers.<<<<<

Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\test\boot.wim

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\test\boot.wim /index:1 /Mountdir:c:\mount

dism /image:c:\mount /add-driver /driver:C:\test\drivers\WIN7\NDIS6\64\ /recurse
    note: you can change the path to the driver file

dism /image:c:\mount /add-driver /driver:C:\test\broadcom\Windows7-x64 /recurse
    note: you can change the path to the driver file

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mount\ /commit

verify if the drivers are added correctly for realtek and Broadcom n/w drivers to the boot.wim file.

3. Now add the boot.wim to boot image folder in WDS.
    4. Try to boot the client.

References:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c1400210-6dca-4c7a-ba50-0b1c6bd3547b/inject-drivers-into-wds-boot-image-windows-7-x64?forum=winserversetup

Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:52 PM