none
cloning an HD to different machine? RRS feed

• Question

• my laptop's motherboard just fried and I would like to clone my HD to an older desktop I have until I can buy a new laptop. Is that possible? My OS is Win7, Home Premium. I know that the OS these days is tied to the hardware so that is why I am wondering if it is possible or is the OS totally tied to that machine?

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

• OEM editions of Windows are tied to the original hardware for life IAW the EULA from Microsoft and may not legally be transferred to another hardware system.

Some OEM installations are tied to the a signature in the BIOS and will only work on that brand of hardware.

Most of the time the system will not even boot-up when there is a significant change of hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:26 PM

All replies

• OEM editions of Windows are tied to the original hardware for life IAW the EULA from Microsoft and may not legally be transferred to another hardware system.

Some OEM installations are tied to the a signature in the BIOS and will only work on that brand of hardware.

Most of the time the system will not even boot-up when there is a significant change of hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 28, 2011 6:26 PM

Thanks. That sucks. 
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:32 AM