none
Win 7 64bit on a 3TB HDD

Question

• I am trying to perform a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit on a new PC which has a Gigabyte motherboard GA-z68X-UD3H-B3, i7 2600K LGA 1155 processor and a Seagate Barracuda XT 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD. 

At the prompt for selecting the destination of the install, I installed the iRST driver (iastor.inf) from the Gigabyte CD, which then shows the drive up to its full 3TB capacity (actually, slightly less than 3TB). 

The installation starts off fine.  It reboots and comes back up fine at the Installing features step.

At the Completing Installation step, it reboots again with the message "Setup will continue after restarting", but this time around, it comes up with an error message page which says "Windows failed to start"

At the bottom of the page is says:

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt 

I have been trying to find information on winload.efi not being able to load, but I have not been able to come up with anything.  btw - I did try the Repair option, but, it said it couldn't repair.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please ensure you use UEFI boot:

1. Go to Boot menu and set the DVD-ROM drive as the first boot device priority.

2. Still in Boot menu, set UEFI Boot to ENABLE.

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS menu.

4. As soon as the system restarts, press F10 during POST to go to Boot Menu.

5. Choose UEFI: <DVD-ROM drive name>.

6. When prompted, press any key to install Windows from the DVD-Rom drive

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:37 AM

All replies

• Have you check the BIOS for UEFI / GPT settings?

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:41 PM
  • The motherboard's spec says it has 3TB+ HDD boot up capability.

In the Advanced BIOS features, there is an option for EFI CD/DVD Boot option - "To choose whether to boot CD via EFI interface such as 64bit Windows 7 installation CD. EFI is essential to support >2.2TB HDD".  I enabled it.

In the Integrated Peripherals section, the PCH SATA Control Mode is set to RAID(XHD) to support Intel Smart Response Technology with a associated SSD.  I tried it with AHCI option as well, but made no difference.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:30 PM
  • There are 6 SATA ports / connectors on this board, two of which are away from the other 4 and are for RAID. If you haven't already connect your drive to one of 4 that are grouped together, preferable SATA-0.

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:06 PM
  • The 3TB HDD is connected to SATA3_0, which is a 6GB/s connector. I've disconnected the SSD thinking that may be causing the problem, but of course, disconnecting it made no difference.

The optical drive is connected to SATA2_2, which is a 3Gb/s connector.

No other devices are connected.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

Please ensure you use UEFI boot:

1. Go to Boot menu and set the DVD-ROM drive as the first boot device priority.

2. Still in Boot menu, set UEFI Boot to ENABLE.

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS menu.

4. As soon as the system restarts, press F10 during POST to go to Boot Menu.

5. Choose UEFI: <DVD-ROM drive name>.

6. When prompted, press any key to install Windows from the DVD-Rom drive

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:48 AM
  • ok man this question s not answered the quest is how to install windows 7 on a 3tb gpt partition

that's what he was trying to ask but didn't know... please answer...tnx gene

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:01 AM