none
Restoring backup files after installing new hard drive

Question

• I have an old HP A1730N desktop running Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. My original 320MB hard drive failed, so I got my nephew to instal a new 2TB HD and increase RAM from 2 to 4 MB. I then managed to format the new HD and instal a clean version of Vista Home Premium 32-Bit with SP2.

I had all my files backed up to an external USB HD. However, Vista does not recognise this external drive when I try to recover my files. Any suggestions for what to do? Thanks.

Friday, July 19, 2013 5:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• (1)Have you checked your usb settings are working?
    Tips for solving problems with USB devices

(2)if it is already listed under diskmanager (press widnows key and r key together and type diskmgmt.msc ) try to assign a drive letter..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-vista/change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter

(3)Plug it to another computer and make sure cable and the disk is working properly

Please DON'T forget to mark this as helpful if you found this is helpful ,and its the answer mark this as answer.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Thanks for the response to my question. I just found out that Windows Backup & Restore only backs up data files and program settings on my version of Vista. I thought it would be doing a clone or mirror of my whole drive and so should reinstall all my application programs as well as the data. So now I have my data, but have to reinstal Vista and all my application programs before I can recover the data. Words cannot describe my feelings at this turn of events, and i feel Microsoft is guilty of some questionable practices and marketing here ..... why is the complete computer backup only available on Vista Ultimate?
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:48 AM