none
crss.exe constant I/O reads RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Does anyone know why crss.exe keeps reading from the HDD every 2 seconds or so?

The machine has been left idle all day with no apps running and it is still doing it.

Thanks
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:56 PM

All replies

• The csrss.exe process is, in most cases, a legitimate and highly critical Windows component that should never be disabled. The name stands for "Client/Server Runtime Sub-System." It's the user-mode component responsible for managing console windows, process threads, and some legacy portions of the old 16-bit DOS runtime (hence its management of the console process). The running process additionally handles Windows and graphics functions for all subsystems.

It may also happen when there is a high CPU usage. You can just perform a full scan of your computer to resolve this issue.

Here is the link to perform online scan:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ph/center/whatsnew.htm

Remember, the "real" copy of csrss.exe is a critical Windows file and should never be removed, modified, disabled, or renamed. Doing so is certain to cause major problems, and will probably render your machine unbootable.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

It is a genuine process, I am just wondering why it is constantly touching the disc all the time. Logging perhaps?

The PC in general is very quiet, but the constant click click of the HDD every 2 seconds is a bit distracting!

Thanks
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Could you please provide a legitimate answer for this question?

I am facing the same problem and it is proving very difficult to track down, even for a power user.

It's quite disappointing to see such a canned response that obviously assumes the user is clueless when the issue is actually quite important for a laptop.

Cheers!

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Process explorer does that.

Monday, March 28, 2011 5:10 PM
  • BS "canned response". -6000 points awarded.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 12:24 AM