none
Windows failed fast start up with error status 0xC00000D4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

This is exactly the error I can see in events almost every time after a seemingly correct shutdown. And yes, there were no unexpected shutdowns at all. First thing first — disabling fast start up in Windows power settings gets rid of this issue completely. But this is not what I am interested in — avoiding features.

My setup is i7-4770 + Z97 + 32GB DDR3 + 512GB SSD M.2 + 2x4TB HDD + GTX980 + PCIe sound card + Windows 10 Pro x64 10586.104. Everything had been tested extensively and seem to be very stable. There are no overclocks (beside Haswell default Turbo mode, but I managed to probe while it was turned off). Storage modes went full circle from AHCI to stand-alone drives in RAID to Intel Smart Response (RAID 0 for a part of SSD and HDD). BIOS mode is full UEFI (all disks are GPTed for granted), all non-existent devices are disabled, KB/mice via USB. All additional hardware and software could be taken out of the picture since I had the error without them.

And most of the time after shutting PC down I got the following records in an event viewer:

! Windows failed fast start up with error status 0xC00000D4. 29

! The previous system shutdown at H:MM:SS AM on DD/MM/YYYY was unexpected. 6008

X The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. 41 (63)

I've tried almost everything in BIOS, with drivers, power management configurations.

No memory dumps are generating upon shutdown. I was unable to trace a problematic shutdown process with xbootmgr because it crashes with "Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list..." error when it fails, or returns no problem when it suddenly works.

I had a brief talk with a manufacturer support. They admitted they had a number of reports about the issue, but their engineers found no problems in BIOS code (therefore did not replicate).

I would accept that my hardware is broken, but I can see a lot of reports about the same issue on different platforms (but every time in connection with Haswell and 8 or 9-series chipsets) all over Internet since a fast start up was introduced in Windows 8. Unfortunately, all these threads have no happy ends. "Turn off the fast start up" at best.

So I am very curious — has anybody ever managed to solve this issue consciously? By chance? Got repair for a motherboard? Got working replacement for the same motherboard? Located the cause elsewhere? Maybe some fresh ideas? It would be great at least to find out —  is it Windows or not Windows in charge!

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by dpokrovsky Saturday, February 20, 2016 6:51 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2016 4:25 PM

Answers

• And just for a record: the issue has not been fixed yet. Sometimes it's getting better, sometimes worse, but can't be resolved completely. Changed motherboard to another of the same model, but with no luck. And since it can be observed on quite different setups it can't be just a hardware fault. To me it looks like Windows can't properly handle some not-so-rare system state while doing a hybrid shutdown.

Ended up by switching Fast startup off.

• Marked as answer by dpokrovsky Monday, April 25, 2016 8:36 PM
    • Edited by dpokrovsky Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:12 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 8:29 PM

All replies

• >all non-existent devices are disabled,

one of the reports mentions that the user had devices disabled in Windows device manager,

and that re-enabling them at least reduced the issue.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 9:33 PM
  • I disabled very basic devices: unused SATA ports, PCIe NVMe, PS/2, HD audio. COM and LPT ports. I guess that's all. And I did it in BIOS, not in device manager (so they do not even appear there).
    • Edited by dpokrovsky Sunday, February 21, 2016 11:47 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 9:13 AM
  • Hi,

When did this issue happened?

Is there any change on current system like installing updates especially for drivers?

If so, please run system restore back to the point when it work fine.

If the issue still persists, we need to completely shut down the PC and restart to check the results.

Meanwhile, please run Disk cleanup tool to clear the catch files on your system and scan system by following tools:

Run Check Disk from a Command Line to Check for and fix Disk Errors

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872425.aspx

System File checker:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491008.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:56 AM
  • Thanks for a reply. Had not a chance to try every provided hints - been away for some time.

But honestly I doubt that they would help since the issue appears right after system installation with drivers native update through WU. So it is hard to figure out where is the point when it worked fine (if any). I also skeptical about some adverse leftovers or disk corrupt - everything was checked number of times and installations were almost "perfectly clean", following guidelines from MSDN (I used DISM to apply image).

BTW, I have updated to 10586.122 and it seems the issue is gone so far. Probably because of this: "Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, startup, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel..." - excerpt from KB3140743.

Anyway, let's take some time to monitor the behavior for a bit longer.

• Edited by dpokrovsky Tuesday, March 8, 2016 12:53 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Lol, 10586.164 has broke it again!
    Friday, March 11, 2016 7:43 PM
  • And just for a record: the issue has not been fixed yet. Sometimes it's getting better, sometimes worse, but can't be resolved completely. Changed motherboard to another of the same model, but with no luck. And since it can be observed on quite different setups it can't be just a hardware fault. To me it looks like Windows can't properly handle some not-so-rare system state while doing a hybrid shutdown.

Ended up by switching Fast startup off.

• Marked as answer by dpokrovsky Monday, April 25, 2016 8:36 PM
    • Edited by dpokrovsky Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:12 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Thank you for talking about this problem. I can testify this problem has happened to me with two different computers. The problem must be Microsoft's update process. This becomes critical when upgrading between versions of Windows 10. And Microsoft jams these down our (users') throats. You can delay for a few hours but not indefinitely.  Another possibility might be due to errors between Windows Download server and my desktop. Errors may occur via proxy nodes on the Internet which carry the bits from A to B.
    Monday, October 30, 2017 10:27 PM
  • The problem is a bad ram stick.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:28 PM
  • is the bad ram a genuine reason for this?

I've been having this for around 2 weeks now, Z170 with 6700k.

just started happening, when I start the computer it says overclock failed, does this if pc is overclocked or not, weirdly if I shut down the computer and restart it within an hour it doesn't do it, if I shut it down and leave it a few hours it will do it.

can't trace it to any update, I did a clean install of windows as it was annoying me, I thought it would get rid of it, i'm not sure if this error was there before or not as I didn't think to check the event log, just looking thru the log and I seen 0xC00000D4 but the system did shutdown correctly.

Sunday, September 29, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Hi Steadved,

This is an old thread.

Open a new thread and post a link into this thread.

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually:  dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Open disk management > by default some columns are compressed > widen each Status and Volume > make sure the contents within the parenthesis are in full view and that none of the characters are cutoff > view disk 0 > widen this row as needed so that all of the characters are in full view > post an image into the thread
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2503-disk-management-how-post-screenshot.html

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:27 PM
  • No.
    I have the problem, but no ram stick.
    Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:39 AM