none
How to disable Show desktop icon at bottom right?

Question

• I've already added a Show desktop button in Quick Launch toolbar near the Start button, I don't wanna keep both of Show desktop buttons in left and right, thus wanna remove the right one newly introduced in Windows 7.

Is there any methods to do or workaround?

I know change the theme to other than Classic will not show you the button, However I like Classic theme so that won't change theme to others.
    Bottom_Right_Show_desktop_Icon
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, there was no related article about the feature. I suspect it is by design and you cannot remove it.

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:15 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:56 AM

All replies

• Sorry mate, I know of no way to accomplish that apart from hacking into the sourcecode. And that is something I wouldn't do (CLUF).

Regards

Rem
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 1:46 PM
  • well in my and many of other people concerns it is very useful and must have option on taskbar and thus in Windows 7 it was permanently get fixed there.

there is no way to remove it from there. All you can do is that you can disable aero peek at desktop feature by right clicking and uncheck the option.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:22 PM
  • This is just one of the many places where Microsoft removed user choice from Windows 7.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Copying Apple, lol?
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Copying Apple, lol?

Lol.  Alot of people think so, judging from some of the posts in these forums.
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Since the one on the right of the System area is already there and apparently not removable, why not use it and get rid of the one you setup in Quick Launch? That way you would only have one. That's what I've done.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:32 AM
  • There are quite some threads on this forum with complaints about a "thinghy" being changed for something else.
    When the show desktop button first showed its nose (back in the nineties) it was in the quicklaunch; i.e. at the left side of the screen. There was no possibility to put in on the right side.
    Did you folks all cry out whining about a lack of user choice?
    I'm really sorry to say it this way, but you're behaving like a bunch of spoiled children.

That said: you can flame me if you want, but just try to be honest with yourselves.

Regards

Rem
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:55 AM
  • well in my and many of other people concerns it is very useful and must have option on taskbar and thus in Windows 7 it was permanently get fixed there.
    I didn't get it, All my desktop icons resides at the left half part of screen. Click the right positioned Show desktop icon, then move cursor to left, it's way to tedious.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:14 AM
  • When the show desktop button first showed its nose (back in the nineties) it was in the quicklaunch; i.e. at the left side of the screen. There was no possibility to put in on the right side.

Rem

Mine is on the right. 

I have always liked putting an address bar in a separate line on the bottom, and the quicklaunch bar at the right end of the address bar, so it is right next to the notification area.

I make the rest of the taskbar two lines high, for a total of three.  This gives it room for a dozen labeled buttons.  I do this in XP, and I continue to do it in Vista and Windows 7.

With my roaming profile and %AppData% redirected, I have three show desktop buttons in Windows 7, the XP one, the Vista one and the new Windows one.  There is also the window switcher button in quicklaunch.  I need to clean it up a little.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, there was no related article about the feature. I suspect it is by design and you cannot remove it.

Thanks,
    Novak
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:15 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 6:56 AM

there is no way to remove it from there. All you can do is that you can disable aero peek at desktop feature by right clicking and uncheck the option.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!! Why do we need an icon at all, have you forgotten you have a keyboard in front of you, and that you can execute several commands via the keyboard in the time it takes to move your mouse and click it?!

Try holding down the 'windows key' and pressing 'd' if you want the desktop...

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:53 AM
  • see my reply to nitinagarwal1988 above, it's not so much removing choice for me, but about taking away quick and easy functionality for those few of us who actually have a clue how to use a computer, and don't want microsoft telling us how we should be using it. For god sake, I was forced to go to winblows 7 at work today, and I can't even save a file to the root of the C: drive anymore without at least being asked if i really want to...of course i want to or i wouldn't have asked to save it there...not to worry, i will soon find out all the work arounds there are to make life simple again, but i wish i didn't have to waste my time doing that.

All these new 'features' and security measures are fine for protecting the average L-user from themselves...all i can liken it to is getting into and starting your car, putting it into drive and a message pops up on the dash "Are you sure you want to go forward?", then driving down the road after clicking OK, coming to some stop lights, pressing the brake and a message pops up on the dash "Are you sure you want to stop?"...click O....crash

Yeah so I'm a bit cynical and facetious, but don't take this rant personally...unless you are a microsoft programmer

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:11 AM
  • I do not wish to moan or complain, I actually love windows 7 : ) a simple registry hack would suffice. So if someone could get to that, that would be great : ) I really need to disable the button as I am using a touch screen tablet and am right-handed and often accidentally press it with my hand when I am writing, so a workaround would be very handy indeed. I would still be able to show the desktop by right-clicking the system time and selecting show desktop. I will patiently wait for a solution.
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:11 PM
  • RedeyeRaskol schreef op 25-4-2010 19:11:
    > a simple registry hack would suffice.
    Give this a try:
    1. Open Windows 7 Registry Editor.
    2. Navigate to:

[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    3. Right-click DisablePreviewDesktop to select Modify.
    4. Enter a value of 1 to disable Preview Desktop functionality.
    5. Close Windows 7 Registry Editor.
    http://billjr.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!28CBD6442F406227!1345.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=916483396
    --
    karelV [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]

• Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:10 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Thank you for your efforts KarelVos, that is better, at least i will have this trouble a little less of the time. It would be nice to be able to disable it alltogether though. That was a quick reply, thanks again : )
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:29 AM
  • The reason why it's annoying for me is that I tend to slide my cursor to the bottom right when I'm done navigating and want to use only key commands. Before I realize that the cursor is there, all of a sudden every window I had open is minimized and I have to dig through to find which program I was working in. (I have a job where I'm going back and forth between programs such as Dreamweaver/Photoshop etc., so I do have to have that many windows open).
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:13 PM
  • There are quite some threads on this forum with complaints about a "thinghy" being changed for something else.
    When the show desktop button first showed its nose (back in the nineties) it was in the quicklaunch; i.e. at the left side of the screen. There was no possibility to put in on the right side.
    Did you folks all cry out whining about a lack of user choice?
    I'm really sorry to say it this way, but you're behaving like a bunch of spoiled children.

That said: you can flame me if you want, but just try to be honest with yourselves.

Regards

Rem

I might not frame it as a complaint about lack of user choice, but I rarely click on anything on the right side of the taskbar.  Seeing as the notification area has always been on the right, while the quicklaunch toolbar has been on the left, and taskbar buttons appear on the left when you open programs, it made (and would make) much more sense for the "show desktop" button to be on the left, as well.  I use "show desktop" often, and everything else I click on often is on the left. 
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:38 AM
  • I certainly do understand your logic, and might even agree, but the left side is for the "start" orb. If the "show desktop" button would be next to it, another bunch of users would come to this page explaining the hard time they have every time they click (or mean to) the start orb and see all windows disappear.

IMHO there is a logic in having a orb (showing us windows) to the left, and a "show desktop" (making windows disappear) to the right.
    Since the quick launch is the list of programmes showing when you click the start orb, people have made work arounds for it to have a more xp or vista like behaviour of that toolbar putting this "show desktop" thing where it originally was located.

I guess there is no satisfactory solution for everybody in Windows 7. Perhaps Windows 8 will give us a solution with its new user interface (which will certainly disappoint other people).

Cheers and have a nice day.

Rem

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:26 AM
  • So then why can't we move the start logo to the right side.  They ought to have something like double click on an empty space of the taskbar to show desktop. Just some suggestions.

Monday, May 24, 2010 5:45 PM
  • A program has actually been made to fix this issue..The program is called..

Windows 7 Show Desktop Button Remover (257 kb)

and it is available on free download blog..just use google

• Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:20 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by btenney Thursday, July 08, 2010 7:06 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:21 AM
  • A program has actually been made to fix this issue..The program is called..

Windows 7 Show Desktop Button Remover (257 kb)

and it is available on free download blog..just use google

While I sincerely thank the developers who created this useful tool, it really becomes yet ANOTHER 3rd-Party app that gets in the way when you need to debug an issue.  I just cannot believe how many of these "helper apps" Windows 7 needs to replace features or customizations that were possible in lowly WinXP.  Windows Explorer does not even work correctly in many areas, and we need to buy a 3rd-party replacement to get dependable, reliable programming.  Geez ... I need an excel spreadsheet just to keep up with all the extra installations I need to do just to get the OS working correctly.

But anyway, thanks again for offering this solution, and many thanks to Nitro192 and DEFCON1 for bringing it to our attention.

Window 7 Home Premium Retail - 64-bit version --- Dual Booting With --- Windows XP Professional - 32-bit version =========================================================== PC: Custom-built, SuperMicro MB - Dual Nocona Processors - 800 MHz FSB - 6GB DDR2 RAM - Approximately 5TB of internal storage on six assorted (Seagate and WD) drives using 3ware RAID Solution - ATI FireGL 7100 Video Card
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 5:15 PM
  • So then why can't we move the start logo to the right side.  They ought to have something like double click on an empty space of the taskbar to show desktop. Just some suggestions.

That would be great.

And they could have single click on an empty space of the Taskbar open the Start Menu.  Allowing the removal of the "Orb" of start button would not be limiting.

After all, right click on an empty space of the taskbar does essentially the same thing as right click of the "Orb".

Friday, July 09, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Thats a great idea.

I'd replsce it wirh items on the taskbar or left click like you said if there was an option to hide the logo button for regular users. Then we can choose what action should take place when we single click on the taskbar in taskbar options.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:13 AM
  • Spoiled Children? Actually, it's a legitimate issue for those of us who use a tablet, at least those of us tablet users who have the NTrig screen and drivers. Being in the bottom right corner, if you're right-handed, you really can't write in the lower right quadrant of the screen because your hand touches the show desktop button and everything disappears when you're trying to write with the pen.

Maybe you should get the whole picture before you insult people for legitimate issues. Further suggesting that anyone who does have an issue isn't being honest, says a whole more about you than it does anyone else.

You might also want to try to be more productive than to merely spout off with ignorant insults.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 12:25 AM
  • Spoiled Children? Actually, it's a legitimate issue for those of us who use a tablet, at least those of us tablet users who have the NTrig screen and drivers. Being in the bottom right corner, if you're right-handed, you really can't write in the lower right quadrant of the screen because your hand touches the show desktop button and everything disappears when you're trying to write with the pen.

Maybe you should get the whole picture before you insult people for legitimate issues. Further suggesting that anyone who does have an issue isn't being honest, says a whole more about you than it does anyone else.

You might also want to try to be more productive than to merely spout off with ignorant insults.

It's legitiimate because there must be a whole new level of customization and choice for each and every user. Suppose I want the notification area on the left hanmd side because I'm left handed. Make it so.

Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:40 AM
  • The reasons I'm going to remove the "Show Desktop" button:

1. real estate: My taskbar is at the right edge of my screen (on every Windows computer I use) and the stupid "show desktop" button takes up the entire width of the taskbar, using as much space as eight of the other "tray" buttons.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just another tray button, but taking up a row for itself is unacceptable.

2. I almost never use it, almost never see my "desktop" - it's almost a figment of my imagination, hidden under many windows.

Microsoft, please do adequate testing of features with the taskbar somewhere other than the bottom of the screen.  This is reminiscent of the Windows Media Player "mini" mode that didn't display in a useful way on a left-side or right-side taskbar (I guess 50% right is good enough for Microsoft).

Wayne Erfling (aka Cornan The Iowan)
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 2:22 PM
  • there IS A THIRD PARTY software named WINDOWS 7 SHOW DESKTOP BUTTON REMOVER
    Monday, April 18, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Obviously most people don't want the "Show Desktop" icon on the right.  It is an irratating little devil that blocks out what I am working on every time I rest my mouse and start to type.  Old habits are hard to break.  I have been right handed since birth and that was a long time ago.  I guess Microsoft does not talk to real people when they decide to design something like this.  When it showed up in the 90s Mr Zeus76 was it stuck there with no options to move or delete it like this one is now?  Someone on the net is offering "free" software to remove it but I am not a trusting sole.  I think Microsoft should do it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Monday, June 20, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks,
    Novak

This is “by design”? Really? Can you please link to a doc, tech spec, memo, or something to indicate such? I find it hard to believe that the ability to remove the Show Desktop button would be purposely and specifically omitted.

It is possible to remove all the other aspects of the Start Menu, taskbar, and notification area, including System Icons, so what possible reason would there be to intentionally prevent users from removing that one element?

Foisting this action onto third-party tools is absurd and unacceptable. Why should I have yet another process running to perform this one, small, trivial action when it could easily have been incorporated into the shell along with the ability to remove all those other elements? (And yes, it has to be an active, running process, using up memory and CPU as opposed to just an auto-run program that hides it and quits, otherwise the button would return in the event of an Explorer crash.) Besides, the only third-party tools that do this do not remove it, they only hide it, leaving behind a blank space in the tray.

• Edited by mwalsher Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:50 AM
  • I used the little freeware program, but unfortunately, while it does remove the button, it does NOT give me back the real estate.  Now I have an empty bar at the bottom of my task bar.

I simply dread what they're doing for Windows 8.

From what I've seen, Microsoft is using a lot of numeric statistics, but they seem to be lumping all users into a single bucket (O - M - G).

I hope Windows 8 doesn't turn out to be a case of "lying with numbers".

Wayne Erfling (aka Cornan The Iowan)
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Worked like a charm!! Thanks!  Everytime I moved my mouse out of the way so I could type, the window I was working on disappeared.  Thank you!! Thank you! Thank you!

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:36 PM
  • You want me to run a third party process that "hides" your stupid, useless button, that I could easily remove in past OS versions?  #^@# you.
    I don't need more crap bogging down my system, not to mention the added interference to debugging and troubleshooting issues.

I still prefer the XP GUI as I was able to customize it and use it the way I want, but new tools require me to use 7. And it pisses me off. I have never used my "desktop". To me it's the void that exists behind my work. From the office toolbar to a custom desktop tool bar I would pin to the side of my screen, I've never had use for a desktop and certainly not for a #*^'ing "show desktop" button. If I could use linux, I would gladly move to ubuntu 10 and leave your ^%$ in the dust, but as a sysadmin that supports your products, I'm bound to your ****. Just like any poor shlap that buys into apples totalitarian regime. Macs are on the verge of being turned into iPads with keyboards. I want and need an actual computer. Remember who your customers are, people who do business and make money. Windows phone 7 is a cheap copy of the complete peace of **** iPhone, and compared locked down PS3, the XBOX is also a secondary peace of garbage. "Do one thing and do it well." M$ wouldn't exists without its enterprise customers. If you screw us you're screwed. And you're doing it by trying to compete in the consumer market(which you have failed at dozens of times[BILLIONS of dollars]) and not innovating for the enterprise.

p.s. Metro GUI for windows 8, are you F*&^ing kidding me?  Linux here we come. 
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:37 AM
  • I sincerely suggest you try picking up English first language. Just go wash your mouth mate. This kind of language is inappropriate at the least.

As far as Windows 7 is concerned; It took me some time to get used to it. It's smoother and more workfriendly than Windows XP has ever been. Your comment shows that you don't really know Ubuntu either. What kind of sysadmin are you if you don't know the major players.

That said. Metro is not going to work for me either and God knows I tried. I'm going to need multiple screens now, one for debugging, one to see the final outcome and one to visualise tasks and services running in the background.

I do hope you manage tu pull yourself together, and reverse to a normal way of expressing yourself.

Regards

Rem

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Thought I'd share my 2 cents here:

Go to local group policy (or use AD group policy if you have an AD in your system). If local, hit start, then type gpedit.msc in the search area provided. Go to User Configuration\Administrative tools\Desktop\Hide and disable all items on the desktop and enable it. This may affect other items on the desktop though.

It works for our situation though. We are a Public Library and we have custom user interfaces that we launch at startup in our public use Internet machines. This essentially covers the whole desktop and is meant for security. But with the new show desktop button in Windows 7, all security goes down the drain because the patrons can access the My computer Icon on the desktop which we meant to hide using this user interface. With the GPO setting I've mentioned, it basically renders the showdesktop button useless; but it doesn't go away.

Hope this helps in any way.

regards Allan

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Because hitting the Windows key + M is so much hard work...
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Van. I will give it a try. I would not care much, it is not really in the way, but I have a bug, maybe a touch-pad malfunction?, where several times a day, the mouse pointer runs to the lower right, and clicks. The first few times I panicked, thought I had lost a ton of work, as all my apps just vanished. Now that I know, it is not bad enough to really fuss over, but I would like to know what is doing it. If I disable the Show Desktop button, that may help with clues.
    Monday, August 06, 2012 11:12 PM

Excellent suggestion. I have no problem with having the functionality but the button is in a most inconvenient place. I've totally diasbled the aero display because I found it distracting and totally annoying. I hated it in Vista as well. I'm a software developer and you have NO IDEA how much code I had rework and hack because of that idiocy. What was wrong with XP display? From my POV, nothing. It was well laid out, the graphics were good and the navigation simple and direct. Vista was bad but Windows 7 is a nightmare as far as navigation is concerned. MS ought to be boiled in oil over this one. For example: Why the hell do I need a Downloads folder in three different places in the tree? To add to the comedy of errors, all three list a different set of files. WTF? Isn't it supposed to be the same folder?

Jeff AKA "Prof"

Saturday, September 01, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Ztruker, I'm finding it quite a pain, as it's positioned immediately below where the slide bar is on a maximised web browser, so I keep inadvertently hitting it and switching to desktop.  I would love to be able to kill it.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:33 PM
  • IT IS VERY EASY TO STOP THE 'SHOW DESKTOP' ON WINDOWS 8 THAT IS ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER.  SIMPLY PUT YOUR MOUSE OVER IT AND RIGHT CLICK IT.  THEN A SMALL DIALOGUE BOX WILL APPEAR WITH: SHOW DESKTOP AND PEEK AT DESKTOP.  ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS UNTICK THE BOX.  THAT WAY IT WON'T AUTOMATICALLY SHRINK EVERYTHING TO VIEW YOUR DESKTOP IF YOU PUT YOUR MOUSE OVER IT AT ANY TIME.  TO VIEW THE DESKTOP SIMPLY RIGHT CLICK IT AND CHOOSE TO VIEW IT.  SIMPLES..
    Friday, February 07, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Awesome answer. Thanks so much.  I don't know why I didn't discover it myself. I may have seen it but worried that it would disable being able to see thumbnails of open windows when I hover the mouse over the taskbar icons (which I really like).  Peeking at the desktop has been a real annoyance for me because so often when I go to start typing, my mouse travels to that corner and the window disapears just as I am about to type. I only have to move the mouse to get the window back but it usually wrecks my train of thought.

As for Win8, I guess the company has been around so long it has developed dementia.  Win8 is so wrong in so many ways, and it caps so many bonehead moves over the last few years that I have reached the point where I'm joining the GNU/Linux camp. I've been exploring *ubuntu in my lab, and I think I have found a winner for my home machines.

Thanks again for this very useful answer.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 7:11 PM