none
Windows 7 backup doesn't recognize internal hard drive as a target

Question

• I am trying to back up my hard drive image to a larger internal hard drive.  The source drive is the Windows drive and the target is NTFS and both are shared.  The only drive that shows up in the backup destination is the DVDROM.  I've tried mapping the destination drive as a network drive with no luck.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:14 AM

Answers

• Something weird happened.  My computer got the blue screen of death and would not reboot.  I pulled out the big hard drive (thinking I screwed something up deleting hidden files) and was able to restore the startup files using the Windows disk which got my computer back up and running.  When I plugged the big drive back in it reassigned the drive letter from I: to E: and now I can see it in Windows Backup.  Success through stupidity!  Luckily Windows seems to be smarter than me, I never really had a doubt about that...

I think Ill take your advice anyways and give it a partition for the backups.  Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:00 AM

All replies

• djthul,
    Win 7 backup will want to allocate or reserve ~30% of the target drive space for backup. Does that drive have sufficient space available?

If the target drive is locked by BitLocker, it will not appear as a target destination choice. Is it locked?
    Unlock the drive, configure and perform a backup, then lock the drive.

There is a backup configuration issue that you need to discover. Win 7 will backup (files or system image) to a second internal drive...NOT A PARTITION ON THE SAME PHYSICAL DRIVE AS THE OS. Is the target drive a different physical drive?

Here is a link to a backup blog.
    • Edited by Nano Warp Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:54 PM added bit locker info
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Nano for the quick reply.  I am trying to back up a 300 GB drive onto a separate physical 1.5TB drive.  I don't use BitLocker.  I tried deleting any files that looked like system files as well (thinking that maybe there were some Windows systems files that made it look like Windows was also installed on that drive), no luck again.  If I can't find any better answers I may format the drive and see if it recognizes the blank driv, but of course I'd rather not go through that if possible.  Any other ideas?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:31 AM
  • djthul,
    Does the 1.5tb drive appear in Computer or the Disk Management Utility? If it was previously a system disk, Win 7 backup may still be seeing boot files, therefore not offering a system disk as a backup target.

If you don't have a lot of data on the 1.5TB disk, I would temporarily move the data off of the drive delete one or all partitons and then repartition,initialize, and quick format (NTFS) from the disk management utility. Perhaps you would want to create at least two partitions, one for data and one for backups, thereby adding two logical drives to your system. It is a 1.5TB. The process doesn't take long using Quick format.

If it is a known good drive with no OS, it should be available as a backup target. I have no other ideas.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Thanks Nano, I'll give it a shot.  The 1.5TB drive otherwise seems fine and was never used as a system disk.  Who knows?  Thanks for trying, if I get it to work I'll let you know.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Something weird happened.  My computer got the blue screen of death and would not reboot.  I pulled out the big hard drive (thinking I screwed something up deleting hidden files) and was able to restore the startup files using the Windows disk which got my computer back up and running.  When I plugged the big drive back in it reassigned the drive letter from I: to E: and now I can see it in Windows Backup.  Success through stupidity!  Luckily Windows seems to be smarter than me, I never really had a doubt about that...

I think Ill take your advice anyways and give it a partition for the backups.  Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:00 AM