none
Recorded TV Not Included in Backup Despite Explicit Request RRS feed

• Question

• I've setup Windows-7 Backup and Restore to backup only folders I request on a daily schedule. Despite specifically including the "C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV" folder in that request, Windows is not backing up those files. If I browse the backup I can see the folder, but no files are in it. I have double checked the settings and allowed the backup run twice. I can also tell by the backup size that it isn't working. Is this the expected behavior?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Karl, it seems to me as "by design" due to copy right related issue. I'll check this on my machine and see the result.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Karl Essinger Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:57 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Karl, it seems to me as "by design" due to copy right related issue. I'll check this on my machine and see the result.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Karl Essinger Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:57 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Hi Karl, I have checked this issue with the same result, as expected:

Backup location: G:\Users\Public\Recorded TV

1. Start Windows Backup
    2. Select flash drive
    3. Select "Let me choose"
    4. Include the folder only
    5. Backup in progress
    6. Finished the backup with no files in the flash drive.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Thanks Sean, disappointing but not unexpected. Seems a little pointless since I can copy the files manually. Do you know if I did a full system backup if Recorded TV would be included then?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:56 PM
  • No, Karl, I'm afraid full system backup will not include .WTV videos either.  
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Late response, but for other "fellow sufferers":

Similar discussion with one important hint:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/f1a89b93-85eb-43ee-b09d-09302835650b

The solution is that windows has an exclusion list for the system backup in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

Just delete the sub key with path to "C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV" and your system backup will be complete (and a good deal bigger ;-)

• Proposed as answer by mixmike Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:18 AM
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:18 AM