none
mctadmin.exe in startup list as runonce but still there after reboot, ok to remove?

Question

• I have two entries for mctadmin.exe in my startup list.
    They are listed as runonce but I have restarted several times and they are still there.
    Is it OK to remove these entries?

Just before these entries were added to my startup I was running the beta of hijackthis 2.0.3 and it crash. Then there was a popup saying something about the program not running correctly and windows was going to change the compatibility settings for the program. I know these files weren't in my startup before HJT crashed because they were not in the HJT log.

My system :

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM

Information from spybot S&D :

Located: HK_CU:RunOnce, mctadmin
      where: S-1-5-19...
    command: C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe
       file: C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe
       size: 0
        MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
             Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
             the checksum could not be properly calculated!

Located: HK_CU:RunOnce, mctadmin
      where: S-1-5-20...
    command: C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe
       file: C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe
       size: 0
        MD5: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
             Warning: if the file is actually larger than 0 bytes,
             the checksum could not be properly calculated!
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

• Taken from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799277%28WS.10%29.aspx

You can use the Content Management Engine (Mctadmin) tool to configure a Local Pack. Mctadmin is a command-line tool that is available with all installations of Windows 7. This tool manages available Local Pack content on a per-user basis and exposes it within an end user's profile. The Mctadmin tool runs during Windows Welcome for every end user to determine if a Local Pack matching the end user's current location setting is available on the system. If a Local Pack is installed that matches the end user's current location, the Mctadmin tool will copy the Local Pack content to the end user's profile. End users will have the market-customized theme and associated subelements exposed to them within the Personalization control panel. They will also have any available links to local Web sites added to their Internet Explorer Favorites directory and local RSS feeds added to their RSS store.

My opinion is that it would be safe to remove the entries if you really want to...
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Hello,

Mctadmin.exe is used to add or remove local content in a Local Pack to the current user's profile. It is part of Microsoft® Windows® Operating System. It’s a system and hidden file. Mctadmin.exe is usually located in the %SYSTEM% folder.

I never seen these two entries for mctadmin.exe in any of my startups and My win7 is working properly. So I think it's safe to remove these two entries from your computer.

Thomas77
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:51 AM

All replies

• Taken from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799277%28WS.10%29.aspx

You can use the Content Management Engine (Mctadmin) tool to configure a Local Pack. Mctadmin is a command-line tool that is available with all installations of Windows 7. This tool manages available Local Pack content on a per-user basis and exposes it within an end user's profile. The Mctadmin tool runs during Windows Welcome for every end user to determine if a Local Pack matching the end user's current location setting is available on the system. If a Local Pack is installed that matches the end user's current location, the Mctadmin tool will copy the Local Pack content to the end user's profile. End users will have the market-customized theme and associated subelements exposed to them within the Personalization control panel. They will also have any available links to local Web sites added to their Internet Explorer Favorites directory and local RSS feeds added to their RSS store.

My opinion is that it would be safe to remove the entries if you really want to...
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Hello,

Mctadmin.exe is used to add or remove local content in a Local Pack to the current user's profile. It is part of Microsoft® Windows® Operating System. It’s a system and hidden file. Mctadmin.exe is usually located in the %SYSTEM% folder.

I never seen these two entries for mctadmin.exe in any of my startups and My win7 is working properly. So I think it's safe to remove these two entries from your computer.

Thomas77
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:51 AM