none
The issue of Synaptics Touchpad has been resolved with inspiron 1501?

Question

• I was an user of Win7 X64 with a Inspiron 1501 Dell laptop, but went back to Vista due famous synaptics code 10 error...

Unlike Vostro 1520 this computer doesn't have bios updates anymore, so that doesn't fixes my mouse problems.

First two months Windows works really smooth, then one day my mouse stops working with the code 10 problem. I've tried everything, from uninstalling and installing the drivers, trying another drivers form another pc manufacturer but nothing, it stays with the code 10 error.

Here are some weird symptoms, I used to have a dual boot configuration with my good old XP SP3 a 7 X64, sometimes when returning back from XP my mouse would stop working or my screen would turn really messy, impossible in fact to read (will display messy lines) but after a reboot the screen would turn normal and the mouse would stop of working.

Here are my Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    4GB of RAM
    Xpress 1150 integrated graphics card
    Turion 64x2 @ 1.8 GHz processor
    Synaptics Touchpad

So, anybody here has resolved the problem with this specific laptop? I really want to use Windows 7... but I'm stuck in vista for this. Has windows addressed this problem?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:11 PM

All replies

• It's not Microsoft's problem to address issues with hardware and drivers supplied by an OEM like Dell, its up to them to resolve it if they wish to.

There are NO Windows 7 drivers for this unit as you may be aware (or not), however they do have Vista drivers for the touchpad. Did you install that driver in Vista compatibility mode? Also note that there are NO 64bit drivers for this machine either. So unless you go to 32bit, the vista 32bit driver won't work for you either. This list by Dell shows its not compatible with Windows 7 or hasn't been tested so you're on your own. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=7DD2C6005C09EA65E040AE0AB6E15C08&docid=364750
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Well, right now I'm running Windows Vista X64 Ultimate... and works like a charm! I don't know why 7 broke compatibility with my laptop...
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:45 AM
  • I was an user of Win7 X64 with a Inspiron 1501 Dell laptop, but went back to Vista due famous synaptics code 10 error...

Unlike Vostro 1520 this computer doesn't have bios updates anymore, so that doesn't fixes my mouse problems.

First two months Windows works really smooth, then one day my mouse stops working with the code 10 problem. I've tried everything, from uninstalling and installing the drivers, trying another drivers form another pc manufacturer but nothing, it stays with the code 10 error.

Here are some weird symptoms, I used to have a dual boot configuration with my good old XP SP3 a 7 X64, sometimes when returning back from XP my mouse would stop working or my screen would turn really messy, impossible in fact to read (will display messy lines) but after a reboot the screen would turn normal and the mouse would stop of working.

Here are my Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    4GB of RAM
    Synaptics Touchpad

So, anybody here has resolved the problem with this specific laptop? I really want to use Windows 7... but I'm stuck in vista for this. Has windows addressed this problem?

Have you did any research for Synaptics drivers?  I did a simple internet search and found the Synaptics website.  There they have drivers listed for Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit.  Download the driver directly from Synaptics and see if it resolves your problem.

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers/
    • Proposed as answer by cdobbs Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:34 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:27 PM

Here are my Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    4GB of RAM
    Synaptics Touchpad

As an additional note:  Harware driver issues are not Microsoft's responsibility.  Your problems need to be addressed by the manufacturer or the vendor.  If your problems are the result of non-comaptibility then those issues need to be addressed by Dell for resolution.  I have Win 7 32-bit running on my Dell 1501 and I have no problems.  Granted, I had to do some research to find some of the drivers, but Microsoft didn't fix the problems - I fixed the problems.

Microsoft does not write software, drivers, nor BIOS for 3rd party hardware.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:28 PM
  • I used the drivers listed in synaptics... may I ask how many time have you got installed windows 7 on your laptop?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:51 PM
  • I have only one installation of Windows 7, but I have had at least 3 versions on since last February when the Public Beta was available.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:37 PM
  • I just installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on my Dell 1501.  The Synaptics Touchpad worked upon installation and I did install the drivers from the link I gave before.  The Touchpad works and I have a full control panel for its options.  The only other software I installed was QuickSet.  The downloaded file was issued for Vista 64-bit, but I installed it in the compatibility mode and I have the full use of Dell's QickSet utility.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Rick thanks for the link, I hadn't really looked for the tochpad drivers myself, you saved me some time as I have 3 Dell 1300/b130's and now just 2 more to update. Driver works really good and now I've got a link to add to my Windows 7 fixes shortcuts ;)
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:51 PM
  • It's not that the problem starts at the first boots, in fact two months passed until the problem occurs, and when occurs the mouse never come back with the same error code 10.

Now, I really really really used all the options available here, even now I have the most recent driver listed on the synaptics page, with that very same driver the problem occurs.

I don't want to blame windows, but... then I should blame Dell? with XP and Vista the mouse works just right...

Still, I don't quite understand the relation of those errors and the ones with the messy screen. like if both were fighting for memory or IRQs... who knows.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:50 PM
  •  

ARCELES

This may be a little off topic but I am about to pick up an Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion 64x2 @ 1.8 GHz processor and I didn't know it could take 4gb of RAM. I thought it maxed out at 2gb. Was this improved with a BIOS upgrade?

Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:25 AM
  •  

ARCELES

This may be a little off topic but I am about to pick up an Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion 64x2 @ 1.8 GHz processor and I didn't know it could take 4gb of RAM. I thought it maxed out at 2gb. Was this improved with a BIOS upgrade?

I can't say which version of the BIOS may or may not have affected this, but I have the most recent BIOS Dell has posted on their Support website dated 12.24.2007, version 2.6.3, A16.  I just decided to get 2 sticks of 2GB RAM and try it.

Dell also told me an SSD would not work in my 1501, and, there are several that don't work.  It depends on the SSD's controller chip.  I currently have an Samsung 128GB SSD in mine.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:49 PM
  • As to the issue of 64-bit Synaptic TouchPad compatibility with 64-bit Windows 7 and with 64-bit Norton products such as Internet Security (aka NIS) and Norton 360. As noted on other posts the first thing to do is identify the manufacturer of your touchpad - is it a Synaptic. Don’t know about 2010 laptops but Dell has had another manufacture in the past. If you have a Synaptic you need to know which driver version is currently loaded in your computer. As of 1-28-11, according to the Synaptics download site, the correct 64-bit diver is v 15.2.7.0. Click on:

There are a lot of good web sites that address a lot of stuff to know before you use a new Windows 7 machine or add or upgrade x64 programs or convert your old Vista machine to x64 Windows 7.  Just Google the question - is 64-bit windows compatible with Synaptic with Norton etc.    One nightmare identified is the Product Tamper feature in x64 2010 Norton Internet Security. (Note: its not in 2009 Norton Internet Security) the Product Tamper feature does subtle little things to the 64-bit Synaptic TouchPad. Caution: If you load 2010 NIS - prior to installing the Synaptic 64-bit diver  v 15.2.7.0. the screen may go blue or the pointer may click on some URLs but not on others?  Reportedly it is possible to turn the Product Tamper feature off and on. If you swap out your driver make sure to reboot - if its not an automatic event. There are other bad things like trying to run two

firewalls/antivirus programs at the same time. i.e., Microsoft Windows Defender.  Note: If you want to uninstall Windows Defender from an x64 Windows 7 machine you have to use Restore and roll the computer back to the date you activated Defender.

Here are my specs: 

Just switched from a Dell XT Inspiron 5150 to a

Toshiba A665-S6055 Dec 2010

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Core i5-450M processor 2.40 Ghz

4 GB DDR 3 320 GB

Nvidia GeForce 310M

Synaptic 64-bit diver v 15.2.7.0.

64x Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010

64x Norton 2010 Internet Security

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Caution: If you load 2010 NIS - prior to installing the Synaptic 64-bit diver  v 15.2.7.0. the screen may go blue or the pointer may click on some URLs but not on others?  Reportedly it is possible to turn the Product Tamper feature off and on. If you swap out your driver make sure to reboot - if its not an automatic event.

I stop using Norton bloatware/malware several years ago when I discovered that the only way to remove Norton bloatware/malware from your computer is to use a utility to clean the hard drive.  That's the only method I have found to get rid of Symantec's bloatware/malware!

If you want your computer ro run more efficiently don't allow any Symantec product close to it!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 28, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Recent versions of Norton AV are much improved over the bloat of years past (or our hardware finally caught up with it, meh). It's no longer akin to a virus itself anymore... but it's still not the best or anything.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:28 PM
  • this isn't resolved. yesterday I downloaded windows update to my toshiba l505 5018 and rebooted. i do not usually download windows updates as they screw with my registery and my hardware protocols. in December a critical update screw up my keyboard and i ended up having to replace it because even after finding the embedded registry driver it still wouldnt work. i need to know which update corrupted my synap mouse pad and buttons so i can unistall it and remove it from the new and old versions of my registry stored on my harddrive. i have reloaded the drivers several times and it appears that microsoft 32 bit drivers are taking over and not letting my oem drivers run for my mouse pad. i have a 64 bit machine and i am using a wireless mouse to actually work since i forgot most of the old dos commands.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:17 PM