none
CD/DVD device driver is missing. Windows 7 64bit install.

Question

• I am currently running Windows 7 64b bit RC 7100 and I have Windows 7 64 bit Professional from MSDN. I took the ISO image from the server at my Tafe and burn the image to a disc. But every time I got to install it tells me that the CD/DVD device driver is missing and to scan for it and install it. I was told to try installing onto a USB stick. This didn't work. So please help me out! Do I need to completely wipe my drive before I want to install Professional? Ive seen this problem all over the web but I have not seen or found a solution yet! Please help me. :(

Thank you.

Friday, March 05, 2010 8:55 AM

Answers

• What happens when you try to install Windows 7 from a USB memory stick?

Guides on how to make a USB memory stick into a bootable Windows 7 installation medium:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/
    or
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Personally I perfer a clean install whenever I want to install a new operating system, which means I would format the system partition. However, you need to make sure you have a complete backup of whatever data you have on your old installation first. Wouldnt want you to loose important documents, family photos etc.

Maybe you have some trouble in your BIOS configuration as well?
    Check the boot order, you want your harddisk to be first there. press F12 or whichever key it is on your system to boot to you USB device when you want to install the OS.
    Check if your disk is configured to AHCI mode, if that doesnt work, try IDE/compatibility mode. If that doesnt work, change it back to AHCI..

If you have any USB devices (besides your memory stick, mouse and keyboard) connected to your computer, disconnect them before installing the OS.

If the installation complains about your DVD drive while installing from a USB memory stick, try and disconnect the DVD drive before installing the OS.
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 3:14 PM

• CD/DVD Drive is not Detected in Windows Explorer - WINDOWS 7

Step : Clear the upper and lower registry filters
    Clear the registry filters for Device Manager error codes 10 , 19 , 31 , 32 , 39 or 41 using the following steps:
    1. If you cannot use the Microsoft Fix it Solution, continue using these steps to clear the upper and lower registry filters manually.
    2. Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.
    3. Click Start , and then enter regedit into the Search field. Click regedit .
      Figure 12: Search for regedit
      If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. The Registry Editor opens.
    5. Select Computer in the main window.
      Figure 13: Registry Editor
    6. Click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and then click Save .
      A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
    7. Click the arrow next to the following items in the list:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
      • SYSTEM
      • CurrentControlSet
      • Control
      • Class
    8. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 . Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
    9. If a LowerFilters value is listed on the right side of the registry editor window, select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
      Figure 14: Registry Editor: LowerFilters key
    10. If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
      Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
    11. Delete all other UpperFilters and LowerFilters values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if any exist.
    12. Close the registry editor and restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows. You may need to uninstall your disc recording software, restart the computer, reinstall the CD/DVD writing software, and then restart the computer again if the software no longer recognizes the drive (see next step).

Rishi Haware
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 5:05 PM
  • You have to download the latest drivers for your DVD rom drive and save it into a usb flash drive. On the error message, you should get an option to click "Browse". Browse for the "INF" file on your USB flash drive then.

Hope this helps,
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, I would like to share the following with you:

Why doesn't my CD or DVD drive work?

Troubleshoot problems with CDs or DVDs

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 08, 2010 9:44 AM

All replies

• bump
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 10:16 AM
  • What happens when you try to install Windows 7 from a USB memory stick?

Guides on how to make a USB memory stick into a bootable Windows 7 installation medium:
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/
    or
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Personally I perfer a clean install whenever I want to install a new operating system, which means I would format the system partition. However, you need to make sure you have a complete backup of whatever data you have on your old installation first. Wouldnt want you to loose important documents, family photos etc.

Maybe you have some trouble in your BIOS configuration as well?
    Check the boot order, you want your harddisk to be first there. press F12 or whichever key it is on your system to boot to you USB device when you want to install the OS.
    Check if your disk is configured to AHCI mode, if that doesnt work, try IDE/compatibility mode. If that doesnt work, change it back to AHCI..

If you have any USB devices (besides your memory stick, mouse and keyboard) connected to your computer, disconnect them before installing the OS.

If the installation complains about your DVD drive while installing from a USB memory stick, try and disconnect the DVD drive before installing the OS.
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 3:14 PM

• CD/DVD Drive is not Detected in Windows Explorer - WINDOWS 7

Step : Clear the upper and lower registry filters
    Clear the registry filters for Device Manager error codes 10 , 19 , 31 , 32 , 39 or 41 using the following steps:
    1. If you cannot use the Microsoft Fix it Solution, continue using these steps to clear the upper and lower registry filters manually.
    2. Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras.
    3. Click Start , and then enter regedit into the Search field. Click regedit .
      Figure 12: Search for regedit
      If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. The Registry Editor opens.
    5. Select Computer in the main window.
      Figure 13: Registry Editor
    6. Click File , Export , type a filename that is easy for you to remember, and then click Save .
      A copy of the registry has saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
    7. Click the arrow next to the following items in the list:
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
      • SYSTEM
      • CurrentControlSet
      • Control
      • Class
    8. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 . Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
    9. If a LowerFilters value is listed on the right side of the registry editor window, select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
      Figure 14: Registry Editor: LowerFilters key
    10. If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right window and press the Delete key.
      Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes .
    11. Delete all other UpperFilters and LowerFilters values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if any exist.
    12. Close the registry editor and restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows. You may need to uninstall your disc recording software, restart the computer, reinstall the CD/DVD writing software, and then restart the computer again if the software no longer recognizes the drive (see next step).

Rishi Haware
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 5:05 PM
  • You have to download the latest drivers for your DVD rom drive and save it into a usb flash drive. On the error message, you should get an option to click "Browse". Browse for the "INF" file on your USB flash drive then.

Hope this helps,
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

In addition, I would like to share the following with you:

Why doesn't my CD or DVD drive work?

Troubleshoot problems with CDs or DVDs

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 08, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Problem still exists.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:55 AM