none
How to remove Windows 7 RC without formatting the drive?

Question

• I have a system that has Windows XP. I installed the Windows 7 RC sometime back on another drive. I have removed the boot loader option so that the system only loads to WinXP. The problem is the drive that holds the Win7 files contains other data that I can not move which means I can not format the drive. Using WinXP and trying to delete the files/folders associated with Win7 gives "Access Denied".

How do I remove these files without formatting the drive?
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:14 AM

Answers

• While these steps all work great when booting into Win7 I was at this time unable to do just that. I also wanted to remove Win7 from the drive, which would mean deleting the Windows folder itself. I was trying to delete the Win7 folders from WinXP but was unable to.

The solution: Knoppix.

I used Linux to delete the files and it worked like a charm.
    • Marked as answer by lithodora Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:13 PM

All replies

• see if this thread tickles your fancy http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/d14731ec-4f0e-4ef8-9aac-028dd7104e0e   you'll need to take ownership of the files and folders.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hello,

To remove the windows 7 files , refer the following steps:

Take ownership of the folders that you want to delete
    ========================

1. Right-click on the folder and choose Properties.
    2. Click the "Security" tab and see if your current user is listed in the "Group or user names" list. If not, please click the Add button, type the name of your current user in the "Enter the object names to select " box, then click "OK" to add this group.
    3. Select the user from the list and then check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Full Control".
    4. Click the Advanced button and click the "Owner" tab. Then, press "Edit" button.
    5. Select current user from the list and check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox.
    6. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows 7 to transfer the ownership of all the objects on the partition.
    7. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.

If some files cannot be removed, boot the computer to safe mode and try to delete them once again.

Thomas77
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:33 AM
  • While these steps all work great when booting into Win7 I was at this time unable to do just that. I also wanted to remove Win7 from the drive, which would mean deleting the Windows folder itself. I was trying to delete the Win7 folders from WinXP but was unable to.

The solution: Knoppix.

I used Linux to delete the files and it worked like a charm.
    • Marked as answer by lithodora Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 11:13 PM