none
Why does windows 7 use so much ram on my computer?

Question

• I just bought a new emachines computer it has 2gs of ram and it is always useing half and when i try to use windows media player my whole computer freezes
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 1:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Those seem to be two issues. The memory problem isn't one, as it's completeley normal that Windows tries to keep a balance between the cached RAM (for Superfetch, quicker response to applications requests, etc.) and the available RAM (the more RAM a program needs, the more will be available). Both aren't static values, they change with each temporary system task and with each demand from a program.
    Concerning your WMP issue: It would be helpful if you could provide any error messages (for example from Action Center -> Maintenance -> Reliability history -> Critical Warning [red cross], right-click for details). If the system freezes without any log of what occurred, it's very hard to analyze the causes and only generic recommendations (run sfc /scannow for a system file check, try a system repair from DVD to replace/copy corrupted or missing files, etc.) can be made.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

Please try the following to have a check:

1.    Run Process Explorer to check which processes are using a lot of memories:

Process Explorer

2.    Boot the computer to Safe Mode or Clean Boot environment and check how it works:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

In addition, I would like to share the following with you:

Preventing low memory problems

Ways to improve your computer's performance

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:20 AM