none
Move XP Mode VM To Different User on PC

Question

• I have created an XP Mode VM on a new laptop for a user.  The apps are stored on an area of a server where only a network Admin has access so installs have to be donw by the Admin account.  However, the user of the laptop has his normal account.  I want the XP mode VM to run for/as that user.  I tried copying the necessary files to the user AppData... & Virtual Machine folders but receive an error that "it" already exists on the network.  I tried moving the files instead but receive an eeror that the XP Mode VM can't be opened due to a missing or corrupt file.  I put the files back to the Admin account's folders and all works fine when logged-in as Admin.  I have tried sharing folders, XP Mode VM, etc.

How can I move the XP Mode VM so that there is only one copy and that it works for the end user?  BTW, I have setup the user as local Admin on the laptop also.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, March 22, 2010 6:49 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Install, Upgrade and Activate)
    Monday, March 22, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• What are you trying to move? The vm or the apps on the network share? Multiple users on your laptop will get their own XP vm when they login and launch xp mode. Each of the user will have to go through the xp mode setup and hence can configure the password as well.
    Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:09 AM
  • I need to move the XP Mode VM.  The Apps are already installed, but as Admin user, not the user who will be assigned the laptop.  In normal WinXP I could move apps & shortcuts when needed from installer user (Admin) to All Users and all worked fine.  since this is a VM (a set of files stored in at least two places on the Win7 host), and is created under the admin account (since that is the one with access to the application install sets on my servers) the applicaitonsa are all installed on the single XP Mode VM belonging to "Admin".  If I then go to the End User account on the laptop I have to create the XP Mode VM all over again and if I do, none of the applications are installed.  What I want to do is to move the XP Mode VM that was created by "Admin" to either the All Users area or at least to the profile for the end user being assigned the laptop.  That way I wouldn't have to reinstall all the apps (after first either making my end user a Network Admin or do something stupidly inefficient like copying all of my application install sets from a server hard drive to an external USB hard drive, connect that to the laptop(s) (since I have about 35 users who I will eventually have to do this for), make the end user an admin of the laptop so the apps can be installed by/in his profile.

Thanks, Charlie

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:41 PM
  • For one, you know you have to install xp mode on all the laptops. Once installed, you will run the initial setup to create the vm. When you are setting up xp mode, you can choose to install the files in a location accessible to any user. If you do it in the default location (%localappdata%) others cannot read off from it. You can use the same username and password for xp mode as in your initial setup.

When setup is complete, you can see the xp mode vhd in the location you specified, along with the .vmc and .vsv files. Turn off xp mode (make sure it is turned off/shutdown not hibernated). You can now copy your xp mode vhd (from your profile) and replace the vhd created during the current setup. Start xp mode, see if it boots. If it didn't autologin, enter user name and password and login and verify all your apps are present.

Thanks, Rashmi U.R
    Friday, March 26, 2010 8:29 AM
  • I don't understand the answer... the VM is just a file located in the AppData directory for the user.  I suggest logging into the PC as the user with the VM, goto Virtual PC and simply click copy on the VM. You should be able to copy it Virtual Machines folder for the other user and once you prove it works on the new user's profile, delete the original VM.

***EDIT*** Okay, I didn't read closely enough - the proper copying technique was specified... sorry.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 12:10 AM