none
Keeping Windows 7 Awake?

Question

• I'm running W7 Beta on a Dell D620 laptop. I've set the power profile settings such that it should NEVER put the computer to sleep.

In spite of the settings the machine consistently goes to sleep after a period of inactivity. I have screen turn off set to 5 min/30 min for battery/power configurations, but NEVER for sleep in both cases.

Is this a know problem? Is there a solution?

Thanks,
     Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP, Moderator Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:05 AM Focus (Moved from Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment to Windows 7 Performance)
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:18 PM

Answers

• Feedback is a part of the Connect membership site, not MSDN/Technet. Connet is by invitation only.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bill Cohagan Friday, March 20, 2009 4:45 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Bill Cohagan said:

Robinson Zhang - MSFT said:

Sorry for my persist mistakes. Please ignore my suggestions on previous posts.

Thanks.

Robinson
      No problem. In fact I think I may have stumbled on the culprit, a Hibernate setting in Control Panel Power Management applet. It's buried down in Advanced Settings, Sleep.HibernateAfter. It was set to Hibernate NEVER when on battery, but to Hibernate after 120 minutes when on AC. (?) I've set the latter to NEVER and so far the machine hasn't dozed off. If it's still up in the morning I'll declare victory.

So, I think this problem is solved; however I AM STILL UNABLE TO ACCESS FEEDBACK even though I am an MSDN member/subscriber. Can you help me with that problem?

Thanks,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan

My system has now stayed awake for > 24 hours so the problem was with the Hibernate setting under Advanced settings. Were I able to "provide feedback" I'd suggest that this is an insane default setting, but I can't.

Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    • Marked as answer by Bill Cohagan Friday, March 20, 2009 4:48 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:47 AM

All replies

• Want to trade machines.  I have mine set to sleep and yada yada, but it never does. It always stays awake.  The power management functions are known issues.  It never hurts to send a feedback report.  Your issue could be different in some ways from others.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 3:41 AM
  •  

Hi Bill,

Before moving on, could you please let me know if the computer can put the computer to sleep manually? (Press Sleep button on Start Menu)

Then, please take the following suggestions to troubleshoot the problem.

1.       Open a command prompt and run the command

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

The command will list all the devices which can wake up computer.

2.       Try to disable each of these devices above one by one and test the problem until you find the culprit that is waking up the computer.

powercfg -devicedisablewake "device name"

3.       Once you find the one that is causing problems, you can re-enable the other devices.

powercfg -deviceenablewake "device name"

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by llynne Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bill Cohagan Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:55 PM
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Chris
      Sadly, I've never been able to provide a Feedback message. All I get is a progress bar when I attempt to login to my Windows Live account. Eventually it times out and I'm back at the wizard with only a Next button to click.  That brings up a progress bar ...

Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Robinson
      Thanks for the response.  I'll try the experiment as you suggested and report back.  BTW, as I reported to Chris I've never been able to get beyone the SignIn progress bar when attempting to "provide feedback" on my W7 machine. Is that normal? :-)

Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Hi Bill,

It's normal if you are not a Technet/MSDN subscription.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Robinson
      I am an MSDN subscriber and can login to Windows Live normally. I just can't get in via Feedback interface.  It times out after about a minute saying "Unable to connect to authentication servers ..." I can however open the browser, navigate to msdn.microsoft.com, and log in to my account there with absolutely no problem.

Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Robinson
      Well this morning I decided to follow your instructions to troubleshoot the problem.  Only then did I read them closely enough to see:

"..until you find the culprit that is waking up the computer. "

The problem of course is *not* that the computer wakes up; instead it's that IT GOES TO SLEEP! So, I'm guessing the troubleshooting steps you provided will not lead to a solution.

Let me know if there's a similar approach to finding out why the machine insists on it's periodic naps.

Regards,
     Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 1:55 PM
  •  

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your clarify.

Actually, most computer won’t sleep issues are caused by device waking up computer immediately. Given the situation, on my previous post, I suggest you try to manually put the computer to sleep and then take my suggestions. Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Bill Cohagan said:

Robinson
      Well this morning I decided to follow your instructions to troubleshoot the problem.  Only then did I read them closely enough to see:

"..until you find the culprit that is waking up the computer. "

The problem of course is *not* that the computer wakes up; instead it's that IT GOES TO SLEEP! So, I'm guessing the troubleshooting steps you provided will not lead to a solution.

Let me know if there's a similar approach to finding out why the machine insists on it's periodic naps.

Regards,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan

Your input devices,'HID',  mouse, keyboard or USB 'root hub' ports may be set to power down.

Control Panel/Device manager/rightclick each device for Properties, Power Management' tab.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:59 AM
  • Robinson Zhang - MSFT said:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your clarify.

Actually, most computer won’t sleep issues are caused by device waking up computer immediately. Given the situation, on my previous post, I suggest you try to manually put the computer to sleep and then take my suggestions. Thank you for your understanding.

Robinson
      Please REREAD my original posts. THIS IS NOT A "COMPUTER WON'T SLEEP" ISSUE! This is a "Computer Keeps Going to Sleep" issue. Having a device that wakes up the computer immediately would be wonderful!

Thanks,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Mark
      Thanks for the suggestion. Of the devices listed only USB Root Hubs have a Power Management tab and they are each set to "Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save Power". Since this indicates it's the computer that is turning off the device, I assume that's not the setting to which you were referring.

Regards,
     Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:05 PM
  • yes that does sound like the answer, but where is the "mark as answer button" gone?
    It seems a shame if power management is told "never sleep" and a device is able to allow sleep. but this issue is part of a whole hierarchical problem seen in the User account controls too. Not only does the no priveledge user get to change the security notifications they can affect other settings in the administrator account.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:34 PM

• Robinson
      Please REREAD my original posts. THIS IS NOT A "COMPUTER WON'T SLEEP" ISSUE! This is a "Computer Keeps Going to Sleep" issue. Having a device that wakes up the computer immediately would be wonderful!

Thanks,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan

Thanks.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Robinson Zhang - MSFT said:

Thanks.

Robinson
      No problem. In fact I think I may have stumbled on the culprit, a Hibernate setting in Control Panel Power Management applet. It's buried down in Advanced Settings, Sleep.HibernateAfter. It was set to Hibernate NEVER when on battery, but to Hibernate after 120 minutes when on AC. (?) I've set the latter to NEVER and so far the machine hasn't dozed off. If it's still up in the morning I'll declare victory.

So, I think this problem is solved; however I AM STILL UNABLE TO ACCESS FEEDBACK even though I am an MSDN member/subscriber. Can you help me with that problem?

Thanks,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Feedback is a part of the Connect membership site, not MSDN/Technet. Connet is by invitation only.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bill Cohagan Friday, March 20, 2009 4:45 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:04 PM
  • llynne said:

yes that does sound like the answer, but where is the "mark as answer button" gone?
    It seems a shame if power management is told "never sleep" and a device is able to allow sleep. but this issue is part of a whole hierarchical problem seen in the User account controls too. Not only does the no priveledge user get to change the security notifications they can affect other settings in the administrator account.

If you open the thread, instead of using the drop arrow to view it, you get the Answer checkmark option. This assumes you have also signed into your Passport ID for the Forums
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Mark L. Ferguson said:

Feedback is a part of the Connect membership site, not MSDN/Technet. Connet is by invitation only.

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

Mark
      Thanks for explaining this.  It would be an interesting idea for the login to fail with such an explanation -- rather than repeatedly indicating that the server is not available and that I should try again later. It would also be an interesting idea for Robinson (apparently an MS employee/moderator) to know this and not tell people that Technet/MSDN membership is the requirement for access to feedback.

All in all, my experience trying to provide feedback has not been rewarding, but has on the other hand burned up a fair amount of my time. On the other hand it has indeed reduced my motivation for trying to be helpful to MS with their new OS. I guess I was just naive to assume the "Provide Feedback" button was intended for beta users to actually provide feedback.

Anyway, your clarification was helpful -- so thanks for that.

Regards,
     Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:44 AM
  • Bill Cohagan said:

Robinson Zhang - MSFT said:

Thanks.

Robinson

Thanks,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan

My system has now stayed awake for > 24 hours so the problem was with the Hibernate setting under Advanced settings. Were I able to "provide feedback" I'd suggest that this is an insane default setting, but I can't.

Bill
    Bill Cohagan
    • Marked as answer by Bill Cohagan Friday, March 20, 2009 4:48 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:47 AM
  • I think that the feedback option is by invitation to a limited number and then reoffered. Keep an eye on your inbox, On the bright side posting on the forums is a reliable form of feedback because not only do microsoft hear it but the rest of us do too.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:11 PM
  • llynne
      Thanks for the response and further clarification. That the feedback option is by invitation and to a limited number should be displayed when a tester attempts to provide feedback via the "provide feedback" button. Otherwise people may spend otherwise useful time attempting to "provide feedback" (via the button) only to be frustrated.

Thanks again,
     Bill

Bill Cohagan
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Bill Cohagan said:
    Mark
      Thanks for explaining this.  It would be an interesting idea for the login to fail with such an explanation -- rather than repeatedly indicating that the server is not available and that I should try again later. It would also be an interesting idea for Robinson (apparently an MS employee/moderator) to know this and not tell people that Technet/MSDN membership is the requirement for access to feedback.

All in all, my experience trying to provide feedback has not been rewarding, but has on the other hand burned up a fair amount of my time. On the other hand it has indeed reduced my motivation for trying to be helpful to MS with their new OS. I guess I was just naive to assume the "Provide Feedback" button was intended for beta users to actually provide feedback.

Anyway, your clarification was helpful -- so thanks for that.

Regards,
     Bill
    Bill Cohagan

Thanks for the Feedback. :)

The public beta is really more of a 'test drive', compared to the 'lease' of connect. The guys who are creating Windows each time, spend a lot of time in what has always been called the 'war room', deciding who's 'feature' can be included in the product. They have a lot invested in doing this, and want input they can rely on to base their decisions. People invited to Connect actually put up their credentials, real name and experience, and so on. It's really a different catagory of credibility. Although it's possible the public beta members would be willing to do it beyond the MSDN requirements, it's not asked, and is not the reliable source of input these guys really look for. If I were going to go thru the ream of data involved in a full feedback report, I would want the guy putting it up to be credible.

That said, your 'usability report' is Very useful. This Forum was created to gather that data, and results in those chosen parts being passed on to the development team. The big difference is that the team spends no time giving the study group feedback of its own. I understand your dissatisfaction with throwing a hard won bit of data down a well, and not even hearing the splash, but it is being gathered none the less.

One time, the IE team put an 'acknowledgements' link in the help/about box when it was released. It was this long list of names you had to limit alphabetically to see your name, but there they all were. Very soul satisfying to those of us who got the pleasure of that feedback. They say there are 3.5 megs of us on this trip. I don't really blame them for passing on the opportunity to list us all.

Really, Thanks for your help.

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, March 20, 2009 1:45 PM