none
stop programs from staring like sysconfig in XP

Question

• Under XP I could stop programs from starting.  Where is this capability in System 7.  Start up runs extremely long.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

• I think you are referring to msconfig.exe (or "System Configuration" that it is also called).

To find out what is causing your machine to start slow you can also start "Performance Information and Tools" and then click "Advanced tools" in the left menu and then look under the first section "Performance issues" for possible causes of system slowdowns. 

• Edited by Andreas Stenhall [MVP]MVP Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:17 AM Misspelled the msconfig.exe command line tool :/
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 01, 2010 5:20 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:12 PM

All replies

• I think you are referring to msconfig.exe (or "System Configuration" that it is also called).

To find out what is causing your machine to start slow you can also start "Performance Information and Tools" and then click "Advanced tools" in the left menu and then look under the first section "Performance issues" for possible causes of system slowdowns. 

• Edited by Andreas Stenhall [MVP]MVP Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:17 AM Misspelled the msconfig.exe command line tool :/
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 01, 2010 5:20 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:12 PM
  • It's the same as it was in XP:  it's always been called msconfig

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:47 PM
  • As mentioned in the above posts, you can check the startup programs by typing msconfig in the Start Search box. For more information about how to use it, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:13 AM