none
cannot use Dell 720 printer with Dell Inspiron laptop/ Windows 7. Help?

Question

• I have tried to download a driver from Dell website.  There isn't one for Windows 7--but tried it for Vista.  Do I have to buy a new printer?  Advise please!
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Jena,

According to Windows 7 Compatibility Center, Dell 720 printer is not compatible with Windows 7. Also, according to this Dell document, there will be no driver available for this printer.

However, I noticed that some other users found a workaround to install the driver. For your reference, I have included the steps below:

1.     Downloaded the R149368 driver package for Windows XP from the Dell support site.

2.     After extracting the file, right clicked on the setup.exe file (in the R149368 folder) and selected "troubleshoot compatibility".

3.     Selected the default options and the Dell set up program ran with XP compatibility settings.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:45 AM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 9:22 AM

All replies

• and how did you try it? You have to tell it to install in Vista compatibility mode HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode and here's the driver for 32bit (not one for 64bit), you didn't say if you're running 32bit or 64bit Windows 7.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Hi Jena,

According to Windows 7 Compatibility Center, Dell 720 printer is not compatible with Windows 7. Also, according to this Dell document, there will be no driver available for this printer.

However, I noticed that some other users found a workaround to install the driver. For your reference, I have included the steps below:

1.     Downloaded the R149368 driver package for Windows XP from the Dell support site.

2.     After extracting the file, right clicked on the setup.exe file (in the R149368 folder) and selected "troubleshoot compatibility".

3.     Selected the default options and the Dell set up program ran with XP compatibility settings.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:45 AM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 9:22 AM