none
"Unable to initialize 3D output" Error

Question

• So my sister had 10 free downloads for Windows 7 from her school so I figured I'd try it out. I installed it and tried downloading one of the games I play. When trying to open the game, I got this message:
    "Unable to initialize 3D output. Please verify that you have installed DirectX 8 and an updated video driver."
    I have downloaded the newest DirectX, which is version 11. It's what I had with vista so I know that is not the problem. I've gone into my device manager and tried updating the video driver but it says it's the best one available. Although it's just the standard one that comes with my computer. Since Windows 7 is still very new I'm having a hard time finding driver downloads. I've searched the dell site and this one. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I love the speed of Windows 7 but I have the urge to go back to vista...
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi snowfall89,

First, please go to Device Manager and make sure the display card is working properly. Then, go to the hardware manufacturer's website to download and install the latest display card driver to see if the issue can be resolved.

If the latest display card driver is installed, try run the game in compatibility mode. To do this, please right click the program's  shortcut, .exe file, click Properties, on Compatibility tab, check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box. and then choose the system the program is compatible for.

What is the result?

In addition, try download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer and see if the issue can be resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by snowfall89 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:50 AM