none
Cannot drag and drop or copy and paste files to a DVD using Windows Explorer

Question

• When i try to drag and drop files onto a DVD I have when I have configured it for buring under the Mastered option, the files do not show up on the DVD after I attempt to drag files to it.  My other computer does it just fine and has the little thing that says, "You have files waiting to be written to be burned to disc."  Also if I try to copy and paste the files they do not show up and the speakers make a beeping noise like when you get an error message or a pop up Windows message but nothing appears.  It does that same thing with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.  If I continuously try to paste over and over, it just continuously makes that beeping noise.  Other programs have worked fine with burning but I just don't get why that aspect of my computer won't function.  Recently my DVD drive hasn't been recording though and has been making loud grinding noises when I attempt to record with Nero or any other burning program and it says there was an "Unknown Recorder Error".  But I have had the problem with not being able to use Windows Explorer to burn way before that problem started occurring.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:14 AM

All replies

• Try to create a new user account in Windows, log in to that account and check if the problem occurs there. Can you burn CD-R using Windows Explorer?
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Well I made a new account and tried again but I can't even get that far...  It won't even read the disc on that user, it just says this is not a disc Windows can read, if it is unformatted please reformat it.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact I have two users logged in at the same time or what that means.  And if anyone can help with the problem when I can't burn my DVD+RW, the drive just makes loud noises and stops after a while.

Edit:  For some reason my burner started burning again but it does seem to have a hard time reading my DVD+RW's.  It burned one fine but then when I erased it it freaked out and couldn't read it.  I just burned a DVD+R and it is working just fine.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:46 PM
  • It is quite possible that there is a problem with your drive. If it doesn't work properly (for example it doesn't report the fact that the disc is writable or doesn't detect the disc at all) then Windows can't write to it. You may want to try to clean your drive with a CD/DVD cleaning disc (at your own risk).
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Well my burner appears to be burning fine again and it reads every other disc I have fine, I'm wondering if it is ruining the discs when it burns them, because now that DVD+R isn't working.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Well my burner appears to be burning fine again and it reads every other disc I have fine, I'm wondering if it is ruining the discs when it burns them, because now that DVD+R isn't working.

Edit: Lol well the DVD+R works in my computer but not certain DVD players, so I guess it didn't ruin the disc.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:09 PM
  • It is quite possible that there is a problem with your drive. If it doesn't work properly (for example it doesn't report the fact that the disc is writable or doesn't detect the disc at all) then Windows can't write to it. You may want to try to clean your drive with a CD/DVD cleaning disc (at your own risk).

I do not know where to get a CD/DVD cleaning disc and I was hoping to fix this or find out the problem without spending money.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Perhaps the problem is with the blank discs you use not the drive itself? Some drives may have problems with writing to some blank discs (sometimes firmware upgrade can resolve the issue). Some DVD players will not play DVD-R or DVD+R (I know from experience) while the disc will work fine in a computer or a different DVD player. And there is also a difference between DVD-R and DVD+R discs (some drives don't support both formats).
    The CD/DVD cleaning disc is fairly cheap.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:14 AM
  • I'm thinking so, some of my DVD+RW's can't be read in one of my computers but the other computer I have will read it.  I already downloaded the most recent firmware for my DVD drive and that didn't help much at all.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:23 PM
  • When i try to drag and drop files onto a DVD I have when I have configured it for buring under the Mastered option, the files do not show up on the DVD after I attempt to drag files to it.  My other computer does it just fine and has the little thing that says, "You have files waiting to be written to be burned to disc."  Also if I try to copy and paste the files they do not show up and the speakers make a beeping noise like when you get an error message or a pop up Windows message but nothing appears.  It does that same thing with Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.  If I continuously try to paste over and over, it just continuously makes that beeping noise.  Other programs have worked fine with burning but I just don't get why that aspect of my computer won't function.  Recently my DVD drive hasn't been recording though and has been making loud grinding noises when I attempt to record with Nero or any other burning program and it says there was an "Unknown Recorder Error".  But I have had the problem with not being able to use Windows Explorer to burn way before that problem started occurring.

I passed from exactly same problem for TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L633L ATA Device, Windows Vista and Windows 7 Ultimate RC dual boot system. For past few days I juggled most of alternate ways on Sony's DVD, Windows OS, cdrom.sys, registry, DVD burner software from web, but could not burn one program. Today I cleaned lens of DVD drive, moved lense's mount on track for few travels and viola I even learned how to create an iso file for a software for 'UltraISO', also burned Windows 7 Ultimate RC's iso file on DVD. So before any costly ways try method I used.

Aniruddha

Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:13 PM