none
How can I show the network icon in the task bar like in windows XP

Question

• Hi,

I have several different connection type on my computer (wireless, and with wire) and i usually show them all in the taskbar (in XP, if you go in property of any network connection you can put the checkmark next to "show icon in taskbar")

Now in windows 7, I have a status in my taskbar that only say : "[Name of the wireless network] Internet Access" okay... but what about my specific network... with it's network speed and strenght of the signal etc...

Looking at other question I can see some about icon that disapear (i do have an icon that look like a step or signal strenght and it does not disappear... it's just not the icon i am looking for) there are other question about activity flashing i would like to see it also, however it would look like that activity flash of that icon doesn't match "real" network activity...

So where is that icon... it seems i can't find it!
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:52 PM

Answers

• Thank you Andreas, I like that icon that tells me the activity... but it isn't exactly what I am looking for.

In WinXP, that icon tell the speed, the strength, the name of the connection and the status of the connection it tells if this connection is connected or not (if you select the option to let the icon always in the tray even if it isn't connected).

In Win7, you need to right click then "open the network center" then click the connection you wish to see and there at last you can see all that information :
    Status, Speed, Quality of signal...

In the status bar over the icon, the "pop up" only give the name of the network connected and if you have "internet access" or not.
    i want more information in that pop up (or another icon) especially speed of the connection.

Does someone know how to make it appear?  It is very usefull to quickly troubleshoot your network.

Regards

This feature has been removed since Windows Vista. We have reported similar feature requests to our product team. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:55 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:03 AM

All replies

• You can get a live network icon with real status on the network traffic by downloading Network Indicator for Windows 7 from http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/NetworkIndicator.aspx
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Thank you Andreas, I like that icon that tells me the activity... but it isn't exactly what I am looking for.

In WinXP, that icon tell the speed, the strength, the name of the connection and the status of the connection it tells if this connection is connected or not (if you select the option to let the icon always in the tray even if it isn't connected).

In Win7, you need to right click then "open the network center" then click the connection you wish to see and there at last you can see all that information :

In the status bar over the icon, the "pop up" only give the name of the network connected and if you have "internet access" or not.
    i want more information in that pop up (or another icon) especially speed of the connection.

Does someone know how to make it appear?  It is very usefull to quickly troubleshoot your network.

Regards
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:32 AM
  • I tried to download and I get a Page not found for all 3 download links.
    Rich
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:10 AM
  • I tried to download and I get a Page not found for all 3 download links.
    Rich

I can download it. If you still encountered problems. Please try to click HERE

Thanks.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:02 AM

Regards

This feature has been removed since Windows Vista. We have reported similar feature requests to our product team. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:55 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Is this feature going to be available in Windows 8? It's pretty important for users to be able to monitor the network connection in the system tray; we just don't have the real estate on the screen to have e.g. Task Manager/Resource Manager showing the network connection. And who wants to install a third party application for a basic OS function that has been available since Windows 95!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:25 AM