none
Windows 7 not recognizing Dongle at the LPT1 port?

Question

• We have an application from the 1990's that uses a 'DONGLE' in the printer port (LPT1). This dongle stores the Security Key (Licensing information) for the application to start. It is perfectly working fine on Windows XP.

Now we are trying to move to Windows 7 but the Windows 7 PC is not recognizing/reading the Dongle. We made sure that the LPT1 port was working fine by attaching a printer and printing test pages.

We are running the application as in an Administrator login and also selected the option 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR' but that didn't help. Selecting the options as RUN AS COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 2000 or XP also didn't help.

Has Windows 7 been designed to read such hardware devices from the Parallel/Printer/LPT1 port? Please help!!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• Yes, Windows 7 does work with Dongles.  You need to contact the manufacturer/vendor for questions about their product working with Windows 7 and what you need to do!
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hi Sunil_1,

I think this is related to the compatibility. Some legacy devices and software are not supported in Windows 7. You can contact the manufacturer directly to confirm this. Also, go to Windows 7 Compatibility Center for more information.

Regards.

Linda

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:19 AM

All replies

• Yes, Windows 7 does work with Dongles.  You need to contact the manufacturer/vendor for questions about their product working with Windows 7 and what you need to do!
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hi RTFM,

Thanks for replying to my question.

The application vendor has moved to later versions than what we have and no longer support the Dongle version. Since they no longer support the version we have, they are not able provide us any support for this problem.

I am trying to find out what is different in Windows 7 from XP that it is not working. The Dongle works fine on XP machine.

Is there any settings change that i need to take care of so that my program recognizes the Dongle on a Windows 7 PC as it does on Windows 2000 or XP PC?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:56 PM
  • first hing to do is to check the LPT port settings ? ECP / EPP??? what not

second thing is the dongle has monitoring software to install right??

Did you install it and is it running?
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Sounds like the application is 16-bit.  If you are using a 64-bit version of windows 7 (which most likely is because of microsoft's drive to make the PC platform fully 64-bit).  64-bit Windows does not support 16-bit applications. 

In order to use that apllication you must use XP which supports 16-bit applications.   Heck people are still using windows NT Server out there because their old but nessary hardware is not supported by the newer versions of windows servers.

If the big boss wants to fully remove old XP computers. You must find a replacement for that apllication as well.  Which one may be too costly, two could be application has a special use that was permanently discontinued by manufacturer with no updated versions or the manufacturer went out of business.

It's odd to have a product that old when your company seems to want the latest and greatest. So I kind of figuring it has some special purpose that can't be done on any other program.

I mean if it uses LPT port for licensing,it is pretty darn old. 
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Hi Bubbapcguy,

The port is 'ECP Printer Port (LPT1)'.

And to your second question, there is no software to install for the dongle, its a passive device which just answers a check.

The dongle is needed to start the 'development application'/debugger to make code changes and compile COBOL source programs. But the run time application which runs on the object codes, works without the Dongle and is working fine on the Windows 7 environment.

Its just the debugger tool that is not opening up as it is not reading the security key from the dongle on Windows 7 PC.

Also, the debugger application is 32 Bit, so that is not the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Hi takezo808,

The application is 32 Bit. I am having trouble only with the 'development environment'/debugger tool which uses a Dongle to verify the Licensing information. This tool is now able to read the Security key from the Dongle on Win 7 PC. 

The run time application which runs on object codes created from the above debugger tool, is working fine on Windows 7 PC. This run time application does not need the Dongle to run. Its only the debugger tool that needs the Dongle.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Hi Sunil_1,

I think this is related to the compatibility. Some legacy devices and software are not supported in Windows 7. You can contact the manufacturer directly to confirm this. Also, go to Windows 7 Compatibility Center for more information.

Regards.

Linda

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:19 AM
  • I've just been through this with a program we purchased in 1997. Tried to install it on Win 7 64 bit and ran into issues with Setup.exe which were solved by using setup32.exe. Still encountered issues with the install at a later stage. I tried it in Virtual PC with XP and with this it installed correctly but this environment doesn't recognize a parallel port.

Eventually tried Win 7 32 bit by downgrading the O/S. Install works but still no dongle visible to the program. In this case it is a Sentinel dongle and I noted the drivers on the install disk. They are only good for Win 95 but the Sentinel site has an updated driver for Win 7. This install allows for which dongle port to select on the custom install option. Selected on LPT and the program works. Still testing but way further ahead than last week.

Steve

Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:09 PM
  • @ Steve:

That's it! Had the same problem while setting up old dongle-protected Keithley TestPoint software on W7/32bit. Did not know who made the dongles, and Keithley had stopped the distribution and support years ago.  I too am forced to keep costly laboratory hardware alive - can't change simply to another software platform.

Once I installed the Sentinel driver, the dongle was recognised. Thanks!

Monday, March 03, 2014 2:53 PM