none
Unable to delete Storage Space "Access is Denied" 0x00000005 RRS feed

• Pregunta

• Hi there,

Storage pool with two storage spaces created using Windows 8 Release Preview and then ported into Windows 8 RTM. I'm now trying to delete one of the storages spaces and getting this access is denied error message.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

martes, 28 de agosto de 2012 20:14

Respuestas

• I solved the problem for me.

Again... No file lock on the storage pool and no application is doing anything with this virtual disk. But it's not possible to remove it from storage spaces. This has nothing to do with ownership of the drive, access rights or an access of a process. I had a clean windows setup with no programs installed. I'd say that this is a bug of windows!

Anyway here is my solution:

* Opened an explorer with "Computer" open.

* Opened "computer managment" and selected the storage list.

* I selected the storage pool which I wanted to delete but wasn't able to.

* Right click -> format... I think I have chosen NTFS but it's not so important...

* Warning that the drive is in use (what a nonsense) -> yes yes ok

* waited a few seconds until the bar with the free space disappeared at the "Computer" folder for this drive (on the explorer).

* stopped the format process. some error msgs that this couldn't be canceled and then he said he couldn't finish... (wtf ;))

* then back to the storage spaces overview... manage storage spaces... delete storage pool... pool disappeared... finish

hope this helps someone

viernes, 31 de agosto de 2012 15:05

Todas las respuestas

• Take the onwership of the drives and see if it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

jueves, 30 de agosto de 2012 7:36
    Moderador
  • It is possible something is using the storage space.  Try closing apps and trying to delete the storage space again.

If that does not work, then you can try the below PowerShell commands.  The first command makes the storage space inaccessible to all apps, forcing them to stop using the storage space, and the second command deletes the storage space.

Disconnect-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName name_of_the_space

Remove-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName name_of_the_space

-Darren

jueves, 30 de agosto de 2012 18:17
  • same problem here...

I'm on Win8 MSDN final.

Can't remove a storage pool and can't add a disk.

Have full access to the storage pool and no program is accessing the disk.

Strange: I am able to change drive letter and drive label.

• Propuesto como respuesta PappaT miércoles, 9 de julio de 2014 23:37
    viernes, 31 de agosto de 2012 13:44
  • btw...

Disconnect-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName name_of_the_space

is also not working

viernes, 31 de agosto de 2012 13:55

Again... No file lock on the storage pool and no application is doing anything with this virtual disk. But it's not possible to remove it from storage spaces. This has nothing to do with ownership of the drive, access rights or an access of a process. I had a clean windows setup with no programs installed. I'd say that this is a bug of windows!

* Right click -> format... I think I have chosen NTFS but it's not so important...

* Warning that the drive is in use (what a nonsense) -> yes yes ok

* waited a few seconds until the bar with the free space disappeared at the "Computer" folder for this drive (on the explorer).

* stopped the format process. some error msgs that this couldn't be canceled and then he said he couldn't finish... (wtf ;))

* then back to the storage spaces overview... manage storage spaces... delete storage pool... pool disappeared... finish

hope this helps someone

viernes, 31 de agosto de 2012 15:05
  • This helped me. I had the same issue.

Thank you.

domingo, 10 de agosto de 2014 20:24
  • it worked for me as well
    martes, 30 de diciembre de 2014 10:40

This helped me with the same "Access Denied" error.  My confidence in Storage Spaces was shaken by the inability to do this very simple task without error.

In my case however, I did not use the Format choice, but Delete Volume instead.  Had the same effect.

Thanks for putting me on the right path.

//Charles Oppermann http://weblogs.asp.net/chuckop

domingo, 11 de enero de 2015 16:53
  • I know this is a little late to the show but I ran across this error myself while trying out Storage Spaces...doing the format thing didn't work but what I did find work was the following....

In computer managment ----- Disk management

Select the SS drive you want to delete and make it offline.

Then go back to storage spaces manager and you can now delete.

jueves, 26 de febrero de 2015 3:34
  • Worked for me too - thanks! I agree this is bug. Storage spaces seem surprisingly brittle to me. And if client computer backups fills up - you're done. All you can do is abandon backups, remove computers and then join them back. Awful.
    sábado, 14 de marzo de 2015 17:57
  • This worked for me!  Definitely the easiest way to delete the Storage Space.  Thanks!

Now I am migrating my pooled storage to StableBit DrivePool.  A much better solution over Storage Spaces.

sábado, 6 de junio de 2015 20:48
  • Try killing background processes like searchindexer, bonjour, etc.. That worked for me.
    martes, 6 de octubre de 2015 22:03
  • This helped for me! Thanks a lot!
    domingo, 22 de noviembre de 2015 16:05
  • Format released it for me too, thanks!
    miércoles, 20 de enero de 2016 22:42
  • Formatting did it for me as well.  Thanks for sharing!

ldl01031

lunes, 3 de abril de 2017 6:08
  • Thanks! That solution fixed the same issue for me!
    viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2018 3:34
  • I was able to offline the drive and delete the volume. Format didn't work on 10-1803.
    miércoles, 10 de octubre de 2018 19:01
  • Thank you, this works beautifully.

I used DBAN to completely wipe the disk, windows acted like nothing happened afterwards: same storage pool, same drive unable to remove.

domingo, 4 de agosto de 2019 9:57