none
XP no longer shows up in Networking, but Net Use to shared folder works RRS feed

• Pregunta

• Home Network with three Windows-7 and one XP system: Networking has been working since Past December when  I set up the network.  Recently the XP system has become absent from the Network map.

The three Windows-7 system are in a Homegroup.

Computer Name is recognized with the NET USE from command prompt, and Drive letter is assigned even with no user / pw in the command.

XP is Simple File Sharing.

Ideas?

Carl

carl

lunes, 3 de agosto de 2015 19:27

Todas las respuestas

• Hi Carl,

Please try the following method and check if any helps:

TO TURN ON NETWORK DISCOVERY IN WINDOWS XP

Turn on File and Printer Sharing:.

• Open the "Network Connections" Control Panel applet.

• Choose the connection on which to enable. View the properties for this connection by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Properties" from the menu, or click the Networking tab to view its properties.

• Ensure the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Windows" checkbox is checked to enable sharing.

Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP

• Open the Network Connections folder.
    • Right click the local area network connection and click Properties.
    • Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click WINS.
    • Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.

In addition, I need to remind you that Windows XP has ended of life from April 8 2014, support and updates for Windows XP are no longer available.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

miércoles, 5 de agosto de 2015 9:03
  • Thanks for the nice, detailed explanation.   I printed it to keep for reference!

Here is what finally worked for me... but not right away.  Discovery eventually completed after rebooting systems:

NET USE *

to a shared folder on the XP system, and reconnect at login.

I am committed to XP  for one system because of an issue with Intuit Quickbooks.  I use Quickbooks 2005, and Intuit procedure for migrating to newer version DOES NOT WORK completely.

There also is an issue with "Windows 7 PRINT" an email document with a pdf attached.  I have to do it on XP system to make it print. 

The issue: Once I try to print it on Windows 7... I have to reboot Windows 7 in order to print anything at all. (Print hangs the app trying to print.... until after a reboot of Windows 7.)

carl

sábado, 8 de agosto de 2015 9:48