none
Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks DHCPv6 client RRS feed

• Debate general

• Hi guys,

this has been an issue from the august update and it has got a few posts in different support forums but some of the point to ask it also here, so here is the problem in short:

After the august update windows 10 does not automatically renew or ask for IPv6 address via DHCPv6 even is RA has managed flag enabled. The only way to get an IPv6 address manually is to do ipconfig /renew6 in powershell. This works as long as the lease is valid, but after that it looses IPv6 address and you need to run ipconfig /renew6 manually again to fix it. The ipconfig command sometimes also returns with an error and you need to run it again to get an IPv6 address.

• An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection The parameter is incorrect
    • An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection The semaphore timeout period has expired.
    • An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection Function failed during execution.

I will post the links to other posts after my account has been verified.

domingo, 29 de enero de 2017 10:49

Todas las respuestas

• Still cannot insert url to body text, but here are some links as a text to same issue in other forum posts, hopefully someone takes this seriously and alerts the right people to the issue in order to get it fixed!

My original post
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-can-not-get-ipv6-address-automatically/761c9a45-3bd0-4760-bdbb-eb1ba9856aff?tab=question&status=AllReplies&auth=1&rtAction=1480519531424

The same problem reported by another dude
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-dhcpv6-client/fc662f05-0414-489f-bf47-810ab67c885f

The same problem reported again in another forum
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7f076f49-4e0d-494c-8d98-5dc9acbe76f5/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-dhcpv6-client?forum=windbg

Hopefully this is enough reports in different forums that one of them is in the right place!
    • Editado Macrissss domingo, 29 de enero de 2017 10:56 added more links
    domingo, 29 de enero de 2017 10:55
  • I also see this. The last link in the previous post describes it very clearly.

Even in the stateless configuration windows is not doing it correctly. With the M=0, O=1, windows is not requesting a DHCPv6 (Information-request (11)). It gets the RA, and sets the SLAAC address right. But then when the O-flag is set, it will not request the additional information from the DHCPv6. (maybe it sees the RDNSS and uses that, but the "show dnsservers" is blank.

netsh interface ipv6 show dnsservers

Then if you do the /renew6, I see the DHCPv6 (Information-request (11)) being sent, and the DHCPv6 replying with the DNS servers. Then the DNS servers are shown correctly in the GUI and the "show dnsserver" command.

In a SLAAC (Stateless) setup, if the O flag is set, the Windows client should send a DHCPv6 (Information-request (11)), even if there is an RDNSS in the RA. If the O flag is not set, then of course Windows should do what it does now. Not send a Info-Req (11), and maybe use RDNSS if it chooses.

jueves, 2 de febrero de 2017 0:45
  • Latest update finally fixed the issue!

• Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013418)
    miércoles, 15 de marzo de 2017 16:53
  • Was this fixed for Windows 10 Enterprise ? Our users and test machines still have the issue.

IPCONFIG /RENEW6 Still gets a Semaphore timeout.

Thanks,

• Editado VZWAlex lunes, 20 de marzo de 2017 15:49
    lunes, 20 de marzo de 2017 15:47