none
How Do I print a List of Folders within a Drive ? RRS feed

• Pregunta

• In preparation for a mass migration to a new drive, I want to get a listing of

all the folders residing within each Drive.

Every combination of names (Folders, Directories, etc) all result in the same

thing. I get pointed to listing the Files in a Folder. Not what I want. I just

want a list of Folders, like you see when you click on a Drive Letter.

Why is such a simple task so difficult ??

Thank you,

Richard S.

Richard S.

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 15:30

Todas las respuestas

• Hi Richard.

You can get such a list in PowerShell by using the Get-ChildItem cmdlet as in the below snippet

Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ -Recurse -Directory -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Select-Object FullName > FoldersList.txt

In this example, the loop starts from the C: drive and save a list of all the folders and subfolders (with their full paths) into the file named "FoldersList.txt".

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 15:35
  • Opened PowerShell, cut and pasted the command in at the prompt,

and nothing happened ??

rs

Richard S.

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 16:13
  • To display the folder hierarchy, open File Explorer, navigate to the folder you wish to start at, hold down the Shift key, right-click or press and hold on the folder name and choose Open PowerShell window here. 

Type tree |clip and press Enter. Open your word processor program (or Notepad) and paste (Ctrl+V) the list to it. You can now print it, edit it or save it.

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 16:35
  • It's not the data in a single folder I want, it's a list of all the Folders

on the drive.

As primitive as it sounds, I can get the results I need with the Print

Screen command, although it takes several pages to get what I need.

rs

Richard S.

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 16:39
  • Open a Command Prompt (as Admin if not admin)

Ensure you are at the root of your drive (ie:   C:\   )

use this command:

dir /s /b /o:n /ad >c:\temp\myfolders.txt

Once done, open C\temp\Myfolders.txt (or whatever you wish to call it) and there you are.

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 20:21
  • That didn't work either.

rs

Richard S.

miércoles, 7 de agosto de 2019 22:44
  • Here I have reworded my original reply using a command prompt.

Open a cmd prompt at the location you wish to start at, e.g. C:, D: or folder C:\Windows. A listing of C: will take some time and will be very long, perhaps 50,000 folders.

Type tree |clip and press Enter, when it is finished, open your word processor program (or Notepad) and paste (Ctrl+V) the list to it. You can now print it, edit it or save it.

A command prompt will give a neater display/print out than PowerShell.

• Editado BurrWalnut jueves, 8 de agosto de 2019 5:36
    jueves, 8 de agosto de 2019 5:28
  • Opened PowerShell, cut and pasted the command in at the prompt,

and nothing happened ??

rs

Richard S.

The output of the command is saved into the "FoldersList.txt" file that is created in the folder where the PowerShell snippet has been executed from.
    Let's rewrite the snippet this way

Get-ChildItem -Path C:\ -Recurse -Directory -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Select-Object FullName > C:\FoldersList.txt

As you can see at the end, the file with the list of folders will be saved into the C:\ drive (you can change it to the location you prfere, of course) and it will looks someway like this

You have to wait for the command to complete its execution before having the file ready for printing.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

jueves, 8 de agosto de 2019 5:36
  • That didn't work either.

rs

Richard S.

Did you try to execute the PowerShell snippet as per my last reply? Can you see the file named "FoldersList.txt" in the C:\ drive?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

viernes, 20 de septiembre de 2019 19:35