none
Moving from Windows Insider - Release Preview to Semi-Annual Channel RRS feed

• Pregunta

• Hi,

I just wanted to clarify something. As quoted by Microsoft:

"If you want to be on the current public release of Windows 10 but still get early access to updates, applications, and drivers without taking the risk of moving to the Development Branch, the Release Preview Ring is your best option. The Release Preview Ring is only visible when your Windows build version is the same as the current Production Branch. The easiest way to go between the Development Branch to the current Production Branch is to reinstall Windows using the Media Creation Tool, see instructions at Download Windows 10, or, for Mobile, the Windows Device Recovery Tool, see instructions at Windows Phone Device Recovery."

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/how-to-overview/

As above, Microsoft state that going between the development branch to the current production branch requires a windows 10 reinstall. However they state above that the release preview ring is not the development branch. So in summary, would I be correct in thinking that moving from Windows Insider - Release Preview to Semi-Annual Channel Does not require a reinstall of windows?

Many thanks in advance.

• Editado Technical87 jueves, 3 de octubre de 2019 22:42
    jueves, 3 de octubre de 2019 22:40

Todas las respuestas

• No you don't need to reinstall Windows.

Best practice will be:

To assign devicess to the Semi-Annual Channel by using Group Policy

• Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Defer Windows Updates > Select when Feature Updates are received - enable policy and set branch readiness level to the Semi-Annual Channel

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

viernes, 4 de octubre de 2019 0:36
  • Thanks for the reply. I have set the devices back to SAC using Intune (which is where I changed them from SAC to Windows Insider - Release Preview) however after a few days, they are still not showing in the solution WaaSUpdateInsights which does not support Windows Insider. Only our devices that were never moved from SAC to Windows Insider - Release preview show in there.

The only thing that changed was setting the update ring to Windows Insider - Release Preview within Intune, which has now been set back to SAC for about 4 days now. Is there an additional step?

viernes, 4 de octubre de 2019 5:05