none
First track of ripped CDs (in .WAV format) does not display track info (in Windows Explorer) RRS feed

• Question

• I ripped my personal CD collection to .WAV as I have the space and thought it was best quality. I used Windows Media Player.

Everything ripped fine... for a while, the first song of each album kept 'losing' its track information. I would use the Find Album Info feature of WMP to fix this. Track info currently displays perfect in Windows Media Player Library or when browing using Windows Media Center.

However, if I view the files in Windows Explorer, or use another program like Winamp to play the files (which i generally prefer), the first track of all my ripped CDs in WAV format has no track information, Unknown Album, title, etc... even tho' it displays fine in WMP Library.

I cannot EDIT the track in Windows Explorer, and I can't find a track editor freeware that supports .WAV.

Why? Do I need to re-rip everything in .MP3? Bizarre! This also ruins my ability to copy the files to my phone, as the first track is missing information on copy/conversion.
    lundi 31 octobre 2011 18:25

Réponses

• Don't use Auto-Rip if you rip to WAV file.  The WAV file is generated before information retrieval is complete and WMP doesn't write-out metadata to WAV after the file is created and thus you end up in this situation.

If you rip *after* information retrieval is complete, you should be fine.

mardi 1 novembre 2011 07:03

Toutes les réponses

• What I've done is just delete the album and re-rip them from my CDs and then set the files to read-only, so hopefully they won't be updated.  The re-ripped files all display track information correctly, altho' i understand that .WAV doesn't handle track info very well from doing some brief research on the Internet but... i want to use WMC full screen to browse my CDs by remote control, so its .WAV for me.  Still if anyone could explain why this happened...
    mardi 1 novembre 2011 07:00
  • Don't use Auto-Rip if you rip to WAV file.  The WAV file is generated before information retrieval is complete and WMP doesn't write-out metadata to WAV after the file is created and thus you end up in this situation.

If you rip *after* information retrieval is complete, you should be fine.

mardi 1 novembre 2011 07:03
  • This does indeed work.  Thanks, Alex.  What a pain, though -- it means, when I'm ripping a stack of CD's to WAV I have to: a) insert the CD, b) listen to it start to play and stop it, then c) manually start the rip.  Annoying...

Any chance MSFT has this on their to-be-fixed list?

samedi 3 décembre 2011 18:00
  • Keith: I think that this is caused by WAV's limited tagging support, so it probably won't be fixed. Why not just rip to MP3 or (possibly lossless) WMA?
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    dimanche 4 décembre 2011 20:52
  • Rip it in WAV, when you are done, go to your album folder, then go to the Unknown Album section (U's), Highlight all of them and then right click "find album information", it will fix all of them.

samedi 4 février 2012 18:50
  • I have the same problem discussed in this thread and for the same reason: wav files ripped with WMP where the first track or two are missing Album, Artist and Title (of the track) presumably because the track was finished ripping prior to WMP retrieving the necessary data.  If I understand this correctly, the RIFF section of these files is incomplete. What I want to do is complete this information without re-ripping the CDs which is impossible because I no longer have the CDs (and burning new ones and then re-ripping would take the rest of my life to complete).

I see that WMP does indeed retrieve this information (per the suggestion to use "find album information") and store it in WMPs own directory of the Library so that when playing the track in WMP the information is complete.  However, I am having problems with other programs (e.g., MediaMonkey).  Also, I spent days ripping 1000s of CDs thinking that I had a complete "database" and now I know I don't.  If anyone has an idea on how to complete this information without re-ripping I would be grateful.

Alan

mardi 24 juillet 2012 13:27
  • Alan: you could batch convert the WAV files to MP3 or WMA with a tool like LameXP or dBpoweramp Music Converter.

Tim De Baets

mercredi 25 juillet 2012 15:48
  • Many thanks for the reply Tim.

But I wonder if dBpoweramp will read (from the WMP library) or obtain from the internet the tag info for the tracks that are missing it such that the output file will have it.

Alan
    jeudi 2 août 2012 18:54
  • I don't think that dBpoweramp can read from WMP's library but it definitely has an auto-tag feature.

Another option is to use Metadata Backup to export all the existing metadata in your library to an XML file. Then convert your music files to another format, say MP3, and add the MP3 files to WMP's library. Next, open the XML file in a text editor, replace all occurrences of .wav to .mp3, save the file, and import it back into the library.

Tim De Baets

samedi 4 août 2012 18:51
  • I've had exactly the same problem - ripped over 100 CDs to WAV with WMP only to find in Explorer that the music tags had not been populated for track 1.  I had WMP set to automatically rip CDs when loaded, which it did, so I fed CDs at the rate of 1 per minute, very pleased with myself.  I've spent 2 days looking for a way to edit the tags in the file headers without success.  The one thing I learned is that when I inserted a CD while WMP was not already running the first track was properly recorded, so now I exit WMP after each rip and it seems to be working OK.  It's slower but at least it works. 
    mercredi 31 octobre 2012 16:20
  • Tim, I am having the same problems as many others here - I ripped literally hundreds of CDs in WAV and spent several days doing this, only to find that a few days later I turn on my Windows 7 Professional laptop and the library decides to rebuild itself, resulting in:

1) many (probably most!!!) of the albums now have an orphaned "Track 1"

2) the album covers that I pasted manually in to make sure I had the right versions (rather than default album covers suggested by WMP) are now erased or re-replaced by WMP defaults

3) artist names have been overwritten - e.g. I spent a lot of time "correcting" the names to e.g. "Waits, Tom" so he would appear under W, whereas now it's been replaced by "Tom Waits" and he's back under "T"

NONE OF THE SUGGESTED "FIXES" HAVE HELPED - specifically, having read the other comments, I close WMP after every rip. Insert a new CD and let it play for a minute or two, and only then start rip. I then go through Explorer and mark the folder in My Music "read only" just to make sure. But still the above happens when library is rebuilt.

BTW - I have no idea why the library had decided to rebuild - I have the CDs ripped onto a detachable hard drive - could that be a reason (I powered up my PC then connected the hard drive, and WMP automatically started rebuilding the library). In which case it's unusable - I travel a lot and will disconnect my protable hard drive / laptop frequently.

PLEASE HELP! I have wanted many many hours and nerves on this and feel desparate - what I thought would become a treasured library of all my music has turned into a nightmare!

jeudi 14 mars 2013 20:49
  • Piotr: you don't seem to have read the other comments properly. The suggested fix is to step away from WAV and use a different format with better tagging support, like MP3 or (possibly lossless) WMA.

Tim De Baets

samedi 16 mars 2013 15:05
  • This is a problem with WMA files as well.
    lundi 13 août 2018 19:24
  • This is a problem for me in Windows 10 WMP ripping to MP3s. Have ripped hundreds of CDs. Any way to quickly fix or get the details into the first tracks? Right now all the first tracks are missing on the music I copied over to my Android and play with Google player.
    lundi 21 janvier 2019 15:40
  • This is a problem for me in Windows 10 WMP ripping to MP3s. Have ripped hundreds of CDs. Any way to quickly fix or get the details into the first tracks? Right now all the first tracks are missing on the music I copied over to my Android and play with Google player.
    I have same issue with Windows 10 ripping FLAC format.  
    lundi 18 février 2019 19:06
  • I have the same problem. It is possible to rename the track by selecting it, Right-clicking, selecting Properties. The track title will then be visible in the first window. Copy the track title, then select the Details tab. Then paste the title into the Title box (replacing Track 01) then click on OK button. I hope this helps! It's very tedious so, if anyone has a better way, please let me know!
    mardi 19 mars 2019 17:17
  • Smockman is right, you have to right-click on the first track, choose properties, and edit the info by hand. Make sure to add Artist and Album info if you're putting the music on another device.

This takes roughly a minute per CD. I ripped about 400 CDs, so call it six hours. Slightly less time than getting a new program and ripping everything over from scratch. 'Cause some person of inferior genetic bequest can't 1) program it right in the first place; 2) notice the he screwed it up and fix it; or 3) read a forum like this, 9 years after the fact, and go back and fix it so that at least he'll stop screwing new people over.

YARTHM. (Yet Another Reason To Hate Microsoft).
    dimanche 22 septembre 2019 06:25