none
Taskbar hidden by maximized windows RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone come across an issue with maximizing windows and having them cover the taskbar?  I'm finding it horribly annoying that when I maximize my window, it hides the bar and I then have to minimize the window to say... switch applications or look at the time... the list goes on and on...  I've tried several different solutions, some claiming to enable a "always on top" solution, but that still wont make it stay.  Does anyone have any tips or ideas?  Im seriously about to reinstall just so I dont have to deal with the issue anymore.
    mardi 10 février 2009 16:06

Réponses

Toutes les réponses

• If you Auto-hide the taskbar so that it remains off the bottom of the screen it will re-appear when the cursor is moved to the bottom of the screen on top of any maximised window.
    mercredi 11 février 2009 00:02
  • Its not auto-hide.

The bar never minimizes itself, its still there, just hidden by the window(s) above it.

Let me try to explain again...
    Normally you open an window and maximize it... it only gets as big as the screen size you have available UP TO the taskbar, meaning it stops where the taskbar begins.  In my situation it expands to all edges of the screen, covering the taskbar.  When I minimize the window, I can see the bar... I never have to mouse-over the edge of the screen to make it appear.  Its almost like its not "always on top", but that doesnt quite cover it either... since its not just supposed to be on top, its supposed to prevent windows from going behind it.

When I go home tonight I'll try to remember to get some screen shots so I can make it easier to understand.
    mercredi 11 février 2009 14:31
  • It may not be the case in this instance, but if you are pressing F11 to go to the 'kiosk' mode, instead of the 'maximize', the hidden taskbar is expected behavior.

Does pressing th 'win-key' or 'ctrl-escape' bring up the start menu/taskbar? If so, does an IE window hide the taskbar?
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    mercredi 11 février 2009 15:23
    Modérateur
  • Thats a good call, but no, no F11.  I either double-click the header bar or click the square to maximize.

Its not secluded to only IE.  All applications perform this way... Explorer Windows, IE, FF, Chrome, MSPaint, etc. 
    mercredi 11 février 2009 15:28
  • No taskbar on win-key is a sure sign of file damage. SFC will fix that. If not, you are probably seeing a resource problem with the Aero theme. Video drivers are the usual suspect there.

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) progr:

Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero:
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    mercredi 11 février 2009 17:33
    Modérateur
  • "No taskbar on win-key" confuses me slightly, but whatever the case I will check into it with SFC and let you know what happens.
    mercredi 11 février 2009 19:13
  • I'm having the exact same problem. If I maximize any window it will maximize over the task bar. Also, new windows that are supposed to open right above the task bar get created on top of the task bar. It's like all applications are ignoring the reserved space where the task bar is. 
    mercredi 11 février 2009 22:55
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue, its quite annoying and in fact I am at home right now with SFC.exe coming up empty.  This is so horribly annoying... I have to manually set each window size... and I've noticed that even while doing that... sometimes the taskbar completely disappears... until I click somewhere on it and it shows up.

*signs off for the night, frustrated and tired*
    jeudi 12 février 2009 05:09
  • Ryan, have you installed any applications like RocketDock or ObjectDock?
    lundi 16 février 2009 16:18
  • Yes, actually. I have ObjectDock installed but do not have it running. Think that's what is causing the problem?
    mardi 17 février 2009 23:53
  • Exactly, because I started thinking about it (since this is really starting to aggravate me) and it only started happening after I installed the docks.  I've since uninstalled one, and have disabled the other on my account, but I think whatever it uses to hook the task bar and hide it (Essentially you can set it up to behave more like OSX) has changed/corrupted something on the OS.  I'll have to look into removing the other dock and perhaps doing a repair install, perhaps this will resolve the issue.  Let me know what you find out!
    mercredi 18 février 2009 14:55
  • Oh I know its driving me crazy. I upgraded to 7 from Vista and have yet to run ObjectDock on 7. I uninstalled it after you brought it up and feel like I did a very thorough job but am still having the same issue. I'll be trying to repair it in a bit and will report back.
    vendredi 20 février 2009 02:52
  • I can report that removing the other dock does nothing, but it doesn't change my mind about why I think the issue occurred.  Whatever happened to the system wasn't changed back with the uninstall.  I've just been putting off doing a repair... don't really care to mess with it right now.  I've got other projects that I actually get paid for, lol.
    vendredi 20 février 2009 02:55
  • Hello.
    I´m having exact the same problem, but without any Dock apps installed. Upgraded from Vista Home Premium. Short prior upgrading I noticed that all Windows covered the Taskbar, but I didn´t care because I already planned to upgrade. Due to the fact that on another PC Windows 7 works fine including the Taskbar (clean install) I didn´t care about that problem. Now with 7 on this one installed I can´t get my Taskbar back on top. Even tried different edits in the registry but there my changes are not saved an put back to default after every reboot.
    Hope there is a solution for this. But I´m afraid that I´ll have to reinstall everything.

Problem "solved":
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/c8fe38dc-38eb-42d0-970d-28dbb532baec

See my last entry.
    samedi 21 février 2009 14:27
  • Yessss. Thanks Mcleansmith for pointing me to that thread. I used the registry file that HybridPaul mentioned and was able to fix the problem. All is working how it should be right now!

Thanks,
    Ryan
    lundi 23 février 2009 04:31
  • I had previously tried this but mayhaps I overlooked the safe mode being a requirement.  I'll be trying this as soon as I get home tonight, Thanks so much!

Here is the link for the registry fixes: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3101-taskbar-always-top-enable-disable.html
    lundi 23 février 2009 14:20
  •  Hi everyone,

I had the same problem but with XP.  I just solved it and here is what I did.  Maximize a window, click ctrl escape, right click on the task bar and check keep the taskbar on top of other windows.

That solved my problem.

Hope this helps
    • Proposé comme réponse ilyak mardi 17 mars 2009 14:44
    • Non proposé comme réponse Anthony_S mardi 17 mars 2009 14:47
    • Proposé comme réponse ringedphoenix mardi 19 février 2019 05:57
    mardi 17 mars 2009 14:43
  • This may very well be a viable solution, but I know for a fact that the above method works, its been running like a champ since!  I'm not willing to break it again just to test it!  Thanks for the suggestion!
    mardi 17 mars 2009 14:47
  • 1) Delete registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

2) Restart Explorer

• Proposé comme réponse cris_acx vendredi 18 mars 2011 15:39
    dimanche 20 février 2011 13:02
  • If youre having an issue with the window covers the whole task bar theres an easy fix if the issue is just an incorrect settings.

Right click on the taskbar -> Properties -> Put a check mark on "Keep the taskbar on top of other window"

Now after doing this, whenever you open up a window such as IE,FF,GoogleChrome , you would be able to see the task bar.

Let me know if this works!!!!

dimanche 16 octobre 2011 05:45
  • SOLUTION
    (problem: when maximizing different windows, they cover the taskbar. Also, windows were able to go beneath the task bar when being shifted around)

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/aero_effects_not_working/en-us

download the file. Run it. It may not start immediately, try switching users and coming back.  

lundi 7 novembre 2011 07:34
  • had the same problem - taskbar would become hidden under ANY  maximized window, and the Menu bar of the IE window simply disappeared...

I know it's 9 months since the last reply but after reading the whole discussion, I tried a simple thing:

uncheck the "use Aero Peek to preview the desktop" in the Taskbar & Start Menu properties, click Apply and OK. Then reopen the properties, check the "use Aero Peek" box, Apply, Ok, and the problem solved. The Aero was the problem in my case.

greetings

jeudi 5 juillet 2012 17:13
  • IF anyone have difficulty that when we maximize windows taskbar hide follow these steps.

1:Step one go to desktop.

2:And then right click on taskbar and click on properties

3:There will be an option (keep the taskbar on top of other windows).

4:This option will be unchecked check that.

5:And then open any of windows like (My computer) taskbar will not hide........ :)

• Proposé comme réponse RANA NOUMAN jeudi 20 décembre 2012 11:33
    • Modifié RANA NOUMAN vendredi 21 décembre 2012 07:34
    jeudi 20 décembre 2012 11:31
  • there is no option as keep the taskbar on top of other windows.i have windows 7 basic 64 bit laptop.
    jeudi 4 juillet 2013 11:38
  • I'm not sure if you figured out what to do yet since it's been 4 years since you made the question,
    But this for people who the same trouble.
    Task Manager>Processes(Tab>Look for explorer.exe>End Process explorer.exe>back on task manager>new task>Type in explorer.exe>push OK>Fixed.
    • Proposé comme réponse Sir_Arcane mardi 25 février 2014 00:25
    lundi 5 août 2013 05:25
  • I Know it might have been awhile but as it seems This was near the very top of a google search i assume others still have this problem. I'm using windows 7 Home Premium on an Acer Aspire 5741z laptop. After having the task bar start to disappear behind maximized windows (no matter the options i selected for it) i fixed the problem by

1. unlocking the task bar

2. Click and Drag the task bar to either side of the window (so that the task bar sticks to the side instead of bottom)

3. Maximized a window ( task bar isn't under the window any more at this point )

4. Click and drag the task bar back to the bottom ( because i prefer it there )

5. Re-lock task bar

jeudi 29 août 2013 07:51
  • THANK YOU.. this was the simplest solution and it worked like a charm.
    vendredi 13 juin 2014 13:40
  • Thank you kind sir! This has solved my problem!
    jeudi 25 décembre 2014 23:25
  • Worked perfectly!

Thank you so much!

vendredi 18 novembre 2016 15:36
  • No it will not that's the problem we are trying to rectify.

jeudi 5 janvier 2017 17:29
  • Hey guys so i literaly just figured something out in relation to this while trying to fix it. its only happening on my second screen and any non browser windows or any Windows file windows, hope this helps
    mardi 11 avril 2017 22:31
  • OMG i fixed my second screen well this fix is for windows 10!!!! in your taskbar settings your second screen is considerd a tablet you must select suto hide on tablet mode as well!
    mardi 11 avril 2017 22:34
  • Hello,

This solution is for Windows 10 users and and the year is 2017.

I have taskbar set to auto hide, but when I maximize Firefox on my second 27" screen the taskbar does not pop up when I hover mouse over by the bottom. If I minimize Firefox or maximize other window it works though.

I Rightclicked desktop and selected Display settings. There I selected the screen that was not my "Main display" and chose it as the Main display. After clicking Apply the taskbar now pops up correctly.

I hope it can help someone with same issue.

vendredi 21 avril 2017 15:52
  • this did help thanks
    mardi 19 février 2019 05:58
  • Hello.
    I´m having exact the same problem, but without any Dock apps installed. Upgraded from Vista Home Premium. Short prior upgrading I noticed that all Windows covered the Taskbar, but I didn´t care because I already planned to upgrade. Due to the fact that on another PC Windows 7 works fine including the Taskbar (clean install) I didn´t care about that problem. Now with 7 on this one installed I can´t get my Taskbar back on top. Even tried different edits in the registry but there my changes are not saved an put back to default after every reboot.
    Hope there is a solution for this. But I´m afraid that I´ll have to reinstall everything.

Problem "solved":
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/c8fe38dc-38eb-42d0-970d-28dbb532baec

See my last entry.

This worked for me, Specifically This advice:

To Fix THis you have to go to the start mini menu go to shut down and click switch user and it will stop i just found just how

After hitting the login screen I did and all the windows resized themselves ot reserve the task bar area!  Thanks!
    • Modifié QSquared mercredi 11 septembre 2019 14:38
    mercredi 11 septembre 2019 14:37