none
Event Viewer - Boot, Standby and Shutdown Warnings and Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing this issue since I initially installed Window 7 Professional 64-bit some 8 months ago. I just now finished a fresh install, and, according to Event Viewer, I'm still receiving numerous Warnings, Errors and Criticals during boot, standby and shutdown (I don't tend to hibernate my PC, but I'm sure the same errors would appear if I did).

I've followed MagicAndre1981's guide to running traces and I've collected the necessary performance analyzer trace files. However, I've only been able to upload the shutdown ETL file (see it here ) due to size. The other three trace files are all well over the 50mb limit imposed on SkyDrive.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! The errors aren't necessarily causing me any grief, but I don't like the thought of all those warnings and critical errors occurring behind the scenes each and every time I boot, standby or shutdown.

Cheers!

mardi 26 octobre 2010 22:10

Réponses

•  I find it odd that such reports are classified as a "Warning" even when IsDegradation is set to false.

I know, I reported this on connect during beta phase but newer got an answer.

You can ignore the entries. your Windows is fine.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marqué comme réponse Mr. Sinister samedi 30 octobre 2010 04:41
    vendredi 29 octobre 2010 22:25

Toutes les réponses

• I am subscribing to this one, having similar issues
    mercredi 27 octobre 2010 03:23
  • Hi,

nice to hear, that you found my guide on msfn.org.
    Zip/RAR the files reduce the size.

Also the link is not working. You have to put the files into your public folder.

@AndréUys Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals

follow my guide on msfn, too:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140247

and make boot- and shutdown traces, share the files and upload them, too.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    mercredi 27 octobre 2010 09:21
  • Thanks, Andre.

I've made my folder (called Traces, here ) 100% public by changing the permission. I assume that'll allow you to view the files? Sorry, I've never used SkyDrive before.

I managed to upload the shutdown trace without compressing it. The hibernate and standby uploaded fine after zipping. I had to compress the boot trace using 7-Zip due to size. Compressing it with Windows resulted in 51mb. =P

I'm quite worried about the state of my poor system. Event viewer is racking up dozens of errors, sometimes almost 100, per hour according to the Summary of Administrative Events. I've started seeing Nvidia kernal errors again, which I was hoping to fix with the format/reinstall. Service Control manager suffered 58 errors in the last hour, most of them due to Network Location Awareness, during which time my internet failed to connect. Spooler errors for the printer. "PDIHWCTL service failed to start." Too much nonsense to list! At this point, considering the fresh install of Windows, it's impossible to assume anything other than serious hardware failure. I fear for my motherboard.

jeudi 28 octobre 2010 16:27
  • Thanks, Andre.

I've made my folder (called Traces, here ) 100% public by changing the permission. I assume that'll allow you to view the files? Sorry, I've never used SkyDrive before.

Hi, the link works.

The boot is fine!

Your Windows takes 13s to boot to the desktop and 15s to completely boot. This is fantastic. Your i7 and your SSD are performing well.

- < timing bootDoneViaExplorer =" 13326 " bootDoneViaPostBoot =" 25126 " osLoaderDuration =" 992 "

Your shutdown is also fine:

it takes 6s (4s to close the running programs, 1 s to stop all services and 1s to stop the Kernel)

- < shutdown >
    - < timing shutdownTime =" 6712 " servicesShutdownDuration =" 1170 " >

Next the hibernation/standby:

Suspending takes 4s and resume is done in 2.8seconds.

So everything is fine. Your Windows is awesome fast.

André

• Proposé comme réponse Andre.Ziegler jeudi 28 octobre 2010 23:54
    • Non proposé comme réponse Mr. Sinister vendredi 29 octobre 2010 15:02
    jeudi 28 octobre 2010 23:54
  • So everything is fine. Your Windows is awesome fast.

Thanks, Andre.

Truth be told, the speed of my system isn't so much a concern. The SSD makes everything pretty fast!

I'm worried over the multitude of errors that Event Viewer logs every time I boot, shutdown or suspend.

For instance, when I came out of standby just now, Event Viewer logged this, calling it a "Warning":

Windows has resumed from standby:
         Standby Duration        :    12324ms
         Standby Incident Time (UTC)    :    ‎2010‎-‎10‎-‎29T02:59:27.672220600Z
         Resume  Duration        :    1137ms
         Resume  Incident Time (UTC)    :    ‎2010‎-‎10‎-‎29T04:41:40.722598200Z
         IsDegradation            :    false

Also, besides the boot, standby and shutdown "Warnings", I'm also receiving "Errors" like:

Persisting disk caches was slower than expected:
         Name        :    FlushVolumes
         Total Time        :    3084ms
         Degradation Time    :    84ms
         Incident Time (UTC)    :    ‎2010‎-‎10‎-‎28T23:46:27.848858700Z

And:

"The IP address lease xxx.xxx.x.xx for the Network Card with network address (removed for security purposes) has been denied by the DHCP server xxx.xxx.x.x (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

There's always something new. Should I be worried, or is this kind of constant error logging normal?

Apologies if I misinterpreted the purpose of your trace procedure. Is there a different file I should be uploading to better diagnose this issue, assuming there IS an issue?

vendredi 29 octobre 2010 04:53
  • I'm worried over the multitude of errors that Event Viewer logs every time I boot, shutdown or suspend.

For instance, when I came out of standby just now, Event Viewer logged this, calling it a "Warning":

Windows has resumed from standby:
         Standby Duration        :    12324ms
         Standby Incident Time (UTC)    :    ‎2010‎-‎10‎-‎29T02:59:27.672220600Z
         Resume  Duration        :    1137ms
         Resume  Incident Time (UTC)    :    ‎2010‎-‎10‎-‎29T04:41:40.722598200Z
         IsDegradation            :    false

Also, besides the boot, standby and shutdown "Warnings", I'm also receiving "Errors" like:

Persisting disk caches was slower than expected:
         Name        :    FlushVolumes
         Total Time        :    3084ms
         Degradation Time    :    84ms
         Incident Time (UTC)    :    ‎2010‎-‎10‎-‎28T23:46:27.848858700Z

Hmm, the last standby traces told be different things. The trace was much faster. You can export the Eventlog entry to a evtx file and upload it.

Look when the value IsDegradation is set to True. In this case you have to look at the Degradation Time . In your case it is only 84ms, so you can ignore it.

vendredi 29 octobre 2010 10:55
  • Hmm, the last standby traces told be different things. The trace was much faster. You can export the Eventlog entry to a evtx file and upload it.

Look when the value IsDegradation is set to True. In this case you have to look at the Degradation Time . In your case it is only 84ms, so you can ignore it.

I see. So the system will log something like this each time I boot, standby or shutdown? That seems to be the case with my system. I find it odd that such reports are classified as a "Warning" even when IsDegradation is set to false.

Also, I'm strongly suspicious of my system memory. I believe it is either faulty or incompatible and I'll be replacing it soon. I hope this will solve some minor instabilities I've been dealing with. I pulled a stick this morning, hoping to improve matters.

I've uploaded two small section of my Event Viewer log, a total of 21 events from the Diagnostics-Performance Operational section and 7 events from Administrative Events, found here . Not sure if you need that many. There seem to be a lot of repeats. In fact, 8 of the entries from Diagnostics logged simultaneously at 7:42:06 AM. They look similar, but do show some minor differences.

vendredi 29 octobre 2010 15:02
  •  I find it odd that such reports are classified as a "Warning" even when IsDegradation is set to false.

I know, I reported this on connect during beta phase but newer got an answer.

You can ignore the entries. your Windows is fine.

• Marqué comme réponse Mr. Sinister samedi 30 octobre 2010 04:41
    vendredi 29 octobre 2010 22:25
  • Thanks for your time and patience, Andre. Cheers!
    samedi 30 octobre 2010 05:09