none
Overwrite 32-bit Win7Pro with 64-bit, using Upgrade DVD? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Dell XPS M1710 on which I installed 32-bit retail Win7Pro a long time ago. Since I had upgraded from WinXP, what I own is a pair of retail "Upgrade" Win7Pro DVDs, 32-bit and 64-bit, and the valid product key. As I recall, when I upgraded from 32-bit WinXP to Win7, I was given the opportunity to install the 64-bit version, and chose not to since I had some old MS-DOS programs that I still used. Well, I don't use them any more, and need to run some 64-bit-only apps, so now I'd like to switch to 64-bit Win7Pro.

I know I have to do a clean install, and I know this machine can handle the 64-bit OS. I tried booting from the DVD to see what would happen, and it gave me a long set of instructions that made it sound like I could do the installation, but it also sounded like I'd be able to do the installation even if there was no OS on my disk, which wouldn't make sense for an "Upgrade" DVD. So I'm wondering if I go forward, will it actually let me wipe the disk and install a full 64-bit version of Win7Pro from scratch? I'd rather not just try it and find out, because if it doesn't work, it would take another couple of hours to restore the original drive contents from my backup.

Also, if this upgrade path is feasible, do I need to deactivate Windows first, and then reactivate it once I've installed 64-bit?

mercredi 18 septembre 2019 06:42

Toutes les réponses

• Hi Paul.

An Upgrade disc of Windows does not allow you to wipe out your disk and perform a clean installation: you have to use it to upgrade an existing Windows installation to a newer version; if you've read somewhere about some trick to use an upgrade disc to perform a clean installation, that won't be supported by Microsoft.
    Changing Windows version from 32 bit to 64 bit always requires a clean installation: a 64 bit Windows need 64 bit drivers and software that can work in a 64 bit OS.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

mercredi 18 septembre 2019 15:55
  • It may be possible to save you a lot of time changing 32x to 64x.

Check the owners manual to see the maximum RAM.

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

Choose the applicable link for the operating system:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html
    https://www.eightforums.com/threads/language-add-or-remove-in-windows-8.5849/
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87317-display-language-change.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There are two files for you to find manually:  dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

jeudi 19 septembre 2019 08:38
  • Hi

There is no in place upgrade path from Windows 7 32 Bit to 64 bit by using Upgrade DVD, clean install is the only way to change system version from 32-bit to 64-bit.

More details please refer to the following link:

Upgrading from Windows 7 Pro 32-bit to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/upgrading-from-windows-7-pro-32-bit-to-windows-7/29de5c1f-727a-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

jeudi 19 septembre 2019 09:30
  • It may be possible to save you a lot of time changing 32x to 64x.

When available please post share links per the earlier post.

jeudi 19 septembre 2019 15:07
  • Hi

Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

mardi 24 septembre 2019 07:44