GPMC - show/hide links gone RRS feed

• Question

• I am seeing occurrences under the Settings tab in GPMC (mainly Server 2012 R2 but also 2008 R2) where the expand/collapse show/hide link buttons do not show.

I tried enabling and disabling IE ESC per some articles. Also tried adding the about:security_mmc.exe to trusted sites. Still does not work, even on brand new installs of the snap-in.

vendredi 27 septembre 2019 18:29

Toutes les réponses

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in our forum.

According to your description, I looked at my experimental environment and had the same problem.

I am trying to disable IE ESC in my environment and add about:security_mmc.exe to the trusted site. I solved it successfully via the ways.

The specific steps are as follows:

Method 1:disable IE ESC
    1.Open "Server Manager" and select "Local Server"

2.Close IE ESC

3.Refresh(If it has not been successful after the refresh, please restart the computer)

Method 2:about:security_mmc.exe to the trusted site
    1.When we select "Settings" tab, "Internet Explorer“ will pop up. We select "Add" on the interface.

2.Add a trusted URL.

Hope above information can help you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lundi 30 septembre 2019 08:24
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

jeudi 3 octobre 2019 09:00
  • I have the same problem as the original poster, with 2 x DCs running Windows Server 2012 R2.

Internet Explorer ESC was already Disabled.  I tried Enabling it again then Disabling it again.  Rebooted.  No change.

I tried adding about:security_mmc.exe to the Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer.  Rebooted.  No change.

I tried changing screen resolution to 1280x768 (previously was 1280x720).  Sometimes a lower vertical resolution can cause apps to misbehave.  But it made no difference.  No change.

I tried uninstalling the most recent Internet Explorer cumulative update (KB4516046).  Rebooted.  No change.

Any other suggestions?  I think this has been broken by something the most recent set of Windows Server 2012 R2 patches.  But I am not willing to uninstall a big Windows Server Cumulative Update and risk busting my domain controller in the process.

jeudi 3 octobre 2019 23:29
  • Hello Frosticle,

According to your description, we have tested the above two methods on our win2012r2 machine, they all solve the problem.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm the following questions:

1.Do the two DCs in our domain have such a situation?

2.What patches have we updated recently on win 2012 R2 which have problem?

Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

vendredi 4 octobre 2019 09:23
  • Thanks Cynthia,

Yes, both DCs exhibit the same problem.  Both are Windows Server 2012 R2 (v6.3, build 9600).  This problem started after the installation of the September 2019 updates, so it would be one of the following I think:

KB4516067 -- Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2

KB4516046 -- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 R2

I tried uninstalling KB4516046 but it made no difference, I think because the Internet Explorer update might also be rolled up into KB4516067 as well?

I tried installing KB4524156 which is the latest 2019-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 but this did not fix it.

This is not a bad problem, it is only an inconvenience for me, but since the workarounds are not fixing the problem in my environment, sooner or later Microsoft will need to address the root of the problem.  The workarounds were not required and everything worked fine until a few weeks ago.  Someone, somewhere, inside Microsoft, must know what's been changed to trigger this.

lundi 7 octobre 2019 01:26
  • Hello,

>>KB4516046 -- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 R2
      We think it may be related to IE and IE patches. It is recommended that you consult the IE forum for related issues.

The following is a link to the IE Forum:internet Explorer8、9、10、11 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,
    Cynthia

mardi 8 octobre 2019 09:41
  • Same problem here, same things tried - no luck!
    jeudi 28 novembre 2019 07:33
  • I have the same problem. The proposed solutions don't work for me.

I _think_ this happens since I installed the IE 11 upgrade for our Windows Server 2012 (not! R2) machines.

It is only an inconvenience, but it is very annoying.

mardi 21 avril 2020 15:37
  • I also have faced with the same problem. And also everyone of offered action was not help me.

As I can noticed, it was happen after I reboot servers and delayed updates were installed.

vendredi 24 avril 2020 01:57
  • Hello,

Same problem here on a server 2012 R2 without IE Enhanced Security Configuration, solved following these steps :

- Enable IE ESC for admins (yes, enable it)

- Open GPMC, select a GPO, go to the Settings tab to trigger a security pop-up (see Cynthia's screenshots) and add this site as trusted

Hope that helps.

Best regards

mercredi 13 mai 2020 13:34
  • Hello,

Same problem here on a server 2012 R2 without IE Enhanced Security Configuration, solved following these steps :

- Open GPMC, select a GPO, go to the Settings tab to trigger a security pop-up (see Cynthia's screenshots) and add this site as trusted

Hope that helps.

Best regards

That did actually solve the problem for me!

mercredi 13 mai 2020 13:42
  • Hello,

Hope that helps.

Best regards

This worked for me.
    vendredi 24 juillet 2020 19:58
  • This solved the issue for me, thanks!
    mardi 4 août 2020 15:12