none
Keys repeat uncontrollably RRS feed

• Question

• Since installing Windows 7 RC, keys seem to repeat uncontrollably, at random times. I'll be typing in Word 2007 or Live Messenger, and a random key will act as if I'm holding it down, and repeat until I press Escape. The computer is a Thinkpad T61p, but I'm using an external keyboard and a KVM switch. I would assume that it's the KVM, but I've tried it without and have the same result. I've also used the same keyboard with a Mac through the KVM, without any problems. Never happens there, and rarely happens in any Windows software except Word and Live Messenger (I don't think it ever happens in Outlook, for example).

Can anyone offer any suggestions? It makes editing in Word nearly impossible, as I spend half my time deleting extraneous characters.  -- Ken
    mercredi 15 juillet 2009 20:03

Toutes les réponses

• Our Windows 7 installations are similar in that it appears that the "Windows" key gets stuck, and will not clear until you hit the ESC key. This behavior has also been noted on our Vista installations also.
    mercredi 15 juillet 2009 20:36
  • Thanks, but it's not just the Windows key: lots of keys (can't tell if it's a subset of the keyboard, or all keys) get stuck occasionally. Is this a known problem with the RC? With plans to fix before ship? Thanks -- Ken
    mercredi 15 juillet 2009 21:06
  • So no one else is having this trouble? That would be bad. The issue is mainly in Word and Live Messenger--keys repeat uncontrollably, and randomly. Won't happen for a long time, then it happens for a bit, then stops again. It affects any key on the keyboard. Not fixing this would make Windows 7 totally unusable for anyone with the problem. -- Ken
    dimanche 19 juillet 2009 15:40
  • I have the exact same problem. I have a Dell Lattitude D820 with an external keyboard (a USB attached Trust-keyboard). Randomly, keys get "stuck" in any given program than I´m running.

I´m using Windows 7 Ultimate (the release version).

I´m also experiencing that my mouse stops working from time to time and that it´s a bit shaky when I move it around.

samedi 26 septembre 2009 06:48
  • It's happening to me in any application, client or web based, not just MS apps

it also occurs with the mouse, whatever I scroll over opens, plus repeated openings of an application I select once, or repeated openings of a mail message in outlook.

We have tried different keyboards, that doesn't seem to really be the problem.
    lundi 28 septembre 2009 09:57
  • the repeating key did not happen to me with Vista, but now I can't tell you hat release I was on back then. It's happening all the tine with Windows 7
    lundi 28 septembre 2009 09:59
  • I'm having the same issue here.  Just got myself a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard and I get keys stuck often, although they aren't really.  I'll be typing and a keeeeeeeey will stickkkkkkkk although I only pressed it once.  It drives me crazy!  I'm using Vista on a Lenovo ThinkPad T61.  The built in keyboard works fine. 
    vendredi 2 octobre 2009 19:17
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting to TechNet.

Could you please mention that Keyboard & KVM Manufacturer / Model.

Is this wired or wireless keyboard ?

Thanks.

mardi 20 octobre 2009 17:09
  • I have the same annoying problem, initially thought its something to do with resharper, but it happen even after disabling it.

Vista on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 + Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000
    lundi 26 octobre 2009 22:58
  • Probably this might be a workaround for those who are experiencing this, try hooking up the transceiver directly to the notebook instead of the replicator. This seems to be working, I'll leave the explanation to the experts.
    lundi 26 octobre 2009 23:38
  • I have the same problem. I upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Win7 Enterprise 64-bit. Keys get stuck in any program, and mouse is either shaky or stops working for a while. I do computer related work and sit in front of the computer 6-8 hours a day. The problem occurs a couple of times per hour.

My mouse is a Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 USB, and my laptops external keybord is what came with my HP Compaq 8510p (model KU-0316), however, this happens also with my laptop's native keyboard as well, not just the external keyboard. I do have to point out that when my mouse stops working, the laptop touchpad mouse still works.
    vendredi 6 novembre 2009 08:54
  • Wow, glad to have found this thread, I was scared shitless, was palying TF2 and all of a sudden my game started playing by itself but random, asdwqr keys, randomly over and over . . . then windows opening and closing when i moved my mouse over it.

Thought I was getting Hacked, or had a virus.

I just installed Win 7 from XP.

I have a logitech G15 keyboard and a Microsoft sidewinder x8 mouse.

My issues with Win 7 so far 5 days into 7 are;

- canon pixma ip4200 printer dont work;
    - unexplainable lag and higher ping in steam games;
    - mouse lag
    - keyboard repeating keys randomly
    dimanche 8 novembre 2009 01:24
  • yesterday all of a sudden the R key would be seen by my PC continuously.  I booted into the HD diagnostics (boot cd) and it shows up there.  I enter windows and it shows up there every where (run line, url etc...) funny thing though it does not repeat at the windows log in prompt or the system recovery.

I have a MS ergo 4000 keyboard and tried a Adesso and same thing.  Hooked the KB's to another and they are fine.  If i reboot enough i can usually get into windows where this does not occur.
    lundi 30 novembre 2009 04:55

• I adjusted the Keyboard Repeat Delay and Repeat Rate in Keyboard Settinngs. It seems to have resolved my problem for now.
    lundi 30 novembre 2009 14:56
  • I got this problem too, and I think I know the cause but not the solution.
    In common is that everyone with this problem has a microsoft mouse/keyboard etc, on a windows xp or windows 7 OS.
    This problem started by me, when I installed the Microsoft sidewinder X8 software, and plugged in my mouse.
    The same day before I did that, I was using a logitech mouse, and nothing from microsoft.
    Which means I think the problem lies by microsoft.
    As for great biggies reply, that will work for at most 1 day. The next windows restart will cause it to happen again and the solution won't work anymore.
    I'm going to try and find an answer. If anyone else knows it, please, do not hesitate to tell us.

Yours,

Milopolo.

• Modifié Milopolo dimanche 27 décembre 2009 23:54 Misstyps
    dimanche 27 décembre 2009 23:31
  • I think I have an answer for the keys repeated a few times in an hour, if you have the SideWinder X8.
    If you ever pressed the 8th button, the one left of the thumb buttons, that will set the thumb buttons on a macro.
    If you had it on a other button before, and pressed it a few times because it didn't work, it will repeat those macro's instead.
    To fix this go to start-programs-microsoft mouse- Microsoft Mouse.
    Then put the thumb buttons back on the key you wanted. Don't press the macro record key again if you want to keep the thumb buttons on the key your assigned them to. I hope this helps you.

Good luck.

Yours,

Milopolo.
    lundi 28 décembre 2009 12:06
  • I sure hope thats it as I too have the same problem. It is like a ghost took over the pc. Text would get highlighted when moving the mouse as if you wanted to copy it. The text boxes would auto-fill with random letters that looked like the ones used while playing a game to move the player etc. The search function would fill with a few letters as I typed into it. When out of the room it would fire up a pc game by itself even though the mouse pointer was not over the icon. This has been driving me nuts. I have the Logitec G11 gaming keyboard and the Microsoft X8 mouse. I removed and uninstalled the keyboard and tried another after verifying all the drivers were up to date and the hardware was 64bit Win7 Pro compatible. I was going to remove the mouse next but first I will try the method above.
    Thanks,
    davebert
    lundi 28 décembre 2009 14:57
  • Followup: YES! THAT WAS IT! Its fixed now and all I had to do was reset the X8 Sidewinder buttons back to default. That was one of the weirdest problems to figure out as after building the new pc with Win7 and working on all the other blue screens and issues, it was a bonus problem that was definitely not needed at the time, especially over the holidays. I guess too much technology with all the latest stuff makes for a potentially troublesome build. Incompatible software and drivers and BIOS etc etc...but I got it down too one problem blue screen about memory management and I think that is a mainboard BIOS issue so things are looking good. Thanks Milopolo. I was going after the mouse next but you saved me from uninstalling it and getting right to the macro problem that was inadvertently set up by a senior gamer... :) My step dad.
    davebert
    jeudi 31 décembre 2009 22:41
  • Haha, you're welcome dave. It was a really easy solution. The problem might be the same for macro programmable microsoft keyboards. So everyone with this problem and a microsoft game keyboard, try to reset the buttons and your problem might be solved. I don't know if this works for the stucking keys.

Yours,

Milopolo.
    • Modifié Milopolo lundi 18 janvier 2010 15:14 misstyp again hehe
    • Proposé comme réponse Milopolo lundi 18 janvier 2010 15:15
    dimanche 10 janvier 2010 10:20
  • I just wanted to post that I was able to find my problem, It was the Nostromo n52 key pad.  This works fine with no issues for days then all of a sudden it will act up so that I get these repeated keys.  Was able to pin point it to this device and the fact that the Vista x64 drivers seem to have this problem on windows 7 x64.
    lundi 18 janvier 2010 18:35
  • Hehe, sorry for proposing my post as answer, I don't know why I did that, to be honest. It might be the answer for some people though, so give it a try.

Yours,

Milopolo
    dimanche 24 janvier 2010 12:21
  • Was there ever definitive resolution to this issue? I am experiencing the same behavoir of random repeating keys on my laptop keyboard on the most recent released version of windows 7. It can start repeating right after a reboot or after the machine has been up for a week - I have not been able to pinpoint a pattern.

I am running windows 7 ultimate on a macbook pro and bootcamp 3.1.

jeudi 25 mars 2010 18:55
  • reset any macros that you may have on keyboard or mouse,

that fixed it for me

jeudi 25 mars 2010 20:16
  • Unfortunately, no macros:( I read something about a potentially faulty keyboard, but this issue sounds exactly like issues reported on Vista and Win7 and it can occur on any key - the delete key can very dangerous.
    lundi 29 mars 2010 20:33
  • I've been having a similar problem, but I'm also not using macros, nor a Microsoft keyboard.  So far, the key that gets "stuck" always is a functional key, like Backspace or Alt or an arrow.  Its like the KeyUp event gets lost.  Pressing the Escape key seems to fix it.  This has happened both on an external keyboard and the one on my laptop (Dell Latitude E5400).  Since the laptop is very new, and I was using the external keyboard fine with my other laptop, it definitely seems like a Windows 7 issue, not a problem with either keyboard.

Somewhat related, I was also having a problem where occasionally a random letter would get thrown in while I am typing.  Like I type an "a" and it printed a 4.  And often it would substitute a space for some character I typed.  Or when I held down the arrow key to go back and edit something, it typed out a bunch of single quotes.  But I had my external keyboard plugged into a USB hub.  I had never plugged it directly into the laptop USB jack.  So when I unhooked it from the hub and plugged it directly into the laptop, then Windows 7 automatically installed new USB device drivers.  Since then I have not seen any of those weird keyboard issues, even after I plugged the keyboard back into the USB hub.  

dimanche 11 avril 2010 20:59
  • I have also key repeating problem, most of the time it has been occurring during text editing and yes it is very annoying when the key happens to be delete... I have Lenovo W500, Win7-32bit where Logitech USB keyboard is connected via docking station to the host.

My question, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is wrong with Win7?

mercredi 21 avril 2010 06:24
  • I'm experiencing the same problem on my Lenovo ThinkPad W500 running Windows 7 32-bit with a USB Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard.  Every once in a while, it repeats a keyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

• Modifié ianmcook jeudi 20 mai 2010 03:40 omission
    jeudi 20 mai 2010 03:38
  • I am having the exact same problem on an HP 8510p laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and a Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard. I had no such problem when the laptop was running on Vista x32 using the same keyborad.

jeudi 20 mai 2010 09:44
  • Running W7 dutch on a Dell D820, docking station, Dell mouse and keyboerd: same problem. Tried several docking stations, but the only solution for me was connection the keyboard/mouse directly to the laptop. Dell does not have W7 drivers for the docking hardware?
    • Proposé comme réponse klibbert jeudi 10 mars 2011 21:04
    • Non proposé comme réponse klibbert jeudi 10 mars 2011 21:06
    mercredi 16 juin 2010 09:56
  • Hey Guys,

I have experience the same issue on my Notebook and asked good friends from the technical support. They gave me the advice to connect the keyboard directly with the internal Bluetooth of the Notebook and not via the separate Bluetooth dongle.

1) Disconnect the keyboard Bluetooth dongle

2) Here is the instruction to connect the keyboard and mouse directly with the Notebook internal Bluetooth: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/bluetooth/connectionguide3.mspx

I have tried it; so far it works for me.

Regards, Edip

vendredi 25 juin 2010 08:18
  • The same repeating key problem started for me a week ago on a Vista HP laptop PC with an external keyboard. I thought it was a defective keyboard, so I bought a new Microsoft 5000 wireless keyboard and mouse. Still had the problem. Reinstalled drivers. No help. The keyboard transceiver was plugged into a USB hub that had three other devices connected (and as one would expect, the hub is surrounded by a snarl of wires). I removed the transceiver from the hub and plugged it into an available USB port on the side of the laptop. Problem solved. No idea why, but I'm happy as I no longer have words like thisssssss as I type.
    mercredi 30 juin 2010 22:49
  • I've noticed this on my macbook pro, but do not have the problem on either one of the two external keyboards I use.  I also noticed that the touchpad loses it's ability to right click and doesn't move around at the same pace.  Don't know if that's related to the keyboard repeating keys or not.  It doesn't seem to be specific keys that it happens with either.  Originally I thoooooooooooooooooooought it was because I was running win7 native on a MBP, guess not.  And yes, it happened as I was typing this...sigh.

mercredi 30 juin 2010 23:27
  • I might know the answer on the keys stucking and repeating without macro's.
    Try turning the HID Input Service on.

To do this:

- Click start, click Control Panel.
    - Open Administrative Tools.
    - Open Services.
    - Find HID Input Service.
    - Right click it, and click Properties.
    - Put Startup Type on Automatic.
    - Under Service Status, click Start.

Hope this help you. Greetings,

Milopolo

dimanche 25 juillet 2010 18:20
  • I don't see a HID Input service, only a HID access service, it's showing as already started, although it says "Manual"

Am I missing something?

mardi 27 juillet 2010 11:40
  • Why isn't anyone from Microsoft responding to this problem. My IT guy just installed Windows 7 Ultimate (fresh install) on my Dell Latitude D820. I'm using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard v1.0. I also just installed the latest keyboard drivers. IE and Aero are both misbehaving like crazy. Repeated keys at random times, dropped keys, mouse pointer stops moving randomly for a brief second. This is driving me nuts. It took me four tries to log into this forum due to dropped keys. I eventually typed my password into Notepad, then cut and pasted it into the Live login dialog.

I don't think it's my keyboard because I don't have any issues in MS Word or Notepad, at least that I've seen so far.

It's taken me forever to type this post due to the issue I described above and those in this thread.

jeudi 29 juillet 2010 16:21
  • Dhaval,

What happened to you? You asked the question, then it went no further than that. This seems to be a serious issue, as this thread has been active since July 2009 up until yesterday.

Here is my configuration:

• Windows 7 (just installed from MSDN yesterday)
    • Dell Latitude D820
    • Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (updated drivers today)
    • Intellisense Optical USB Mouse

I don't think this issue is just with IE, as I am experiencing it in Google Chrome, and in the Aero UI. MS Word and Notepad, as well as Visual Studio seem to be fine (at least so far).

Also, it seems to have something to do with the rate at which I type. If I deliberately type slowly then it seems to be less inclined to misbehave, however issue do still occur.

Here is the text of my recent post on this issue:

Why isn't anyone from Microsoft responding to this problem. My IT guy just installed Windows 7 Ultimate (fresh install) on my Dell Latitude D820. I'm using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard v1.0. I also just installed the latest keyboard drivers. IE and Aero are both misbehaving like crazy. Repeated keys at random times, dropped keys, mouse pointer stops moving randomly for a brief second. This is driving me nuts. It took me four tries to log into this forum due to dropped keys. I eventually typed my password into Notepad, then cut and pasted it into the Live login dialog. I don't think it's my keyboard because I don't have any issues in MS Word or Notepad, at least that I've seen so far. It's taken me forever to type this post due to the issue I described above and those in this thread.

Answer for Dell 820 Latitude, and possibly others
    Sorry it's been a long time coming, but I did eventually figure this out way back then. I never did hear back from anyone at MSFT about this issue, but I did figure it out myself. Apparently the problem was with the port replicator. I realized this when I plugged the keyboard into a USB port on the laptop rather than the docking station. Apparently the firmware controlling the port replicator had a resource conflict between video and usb controllers on the port replicator. Once I realized that I was find a resolution on Dells support website saying to upgrade the firmware. So I did that, and upgraded the bios and all was good.
    Sorry I didn't post this sooner, but anyone new looking to solve this problem may try my solution.
    • Proposé comme réponse klibbert jeudi 10 mars 2011 21:15
    • Modifié klibbert jeudi 10 mars 2011 21:19
    jeudi 29 juillet 2010 16:33
  • Milipolo,  You are the man...Works Perfectly....See even professionals have much to learn...

KC

www.franklinpcrepair.com

and it is the HID access service in vista.

mercredi 4 août 2010 00:03
  • I'm still getting this problem despite trying all the fixes here.  Specifically:

• x8 sidewinder: I don't have one installed
    • key macros: I don't have any but reset them anyway
    • key repeat rate: set this slower
    • HID Access Service: was already started but set to auto anyway
    • Use internal Bluetooth instead of dongle: I was already using the internal BT, but the problem happens either way

I get the key repeats in any application, no matter what I'm doing.  Sometimes I go days without it and then suddenly it will start happening constantly.  I've tried changing the batteries in my keyboard and also powering the keyboard on/off.

My environment:

• Thinkpad X200 tablet
    • Win 7 Ultimate x64 with latest updates
    • Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000 & Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 (came as a set)
    Hello Microsoft?  Anyone home?  I would think that keys randomly pressing by themselves and repeating would be considered a major bug...what if it starts sending emails by itself?  It only takes an errant ALT-S...
    vendredi 22 octobre 2010 16:03
  • klibber,

any luck with this?

Z

mardi 2 novembre 2010 16:32
  • I'm still getting this problem despite trying all the fixes here.  Specifically:
    • x8 sidewinder: I don't have one installed
    • key macros: I don't have any but reset them anyway
    • key repeat rate: set this slower
    • HID Access Service: was already started but set to auto anyway
    • Use internal Bluetooth instead of dongle: I was already using the internal BT, but the problem happens either way

I get the key repeats in any application, no matter what I'm doing.  Sometimes I go days without it and then suddenly it will start happening constantly.  I've tried changing the batteries in my keyboard and also powering the keyboard on/off.

My environment:

• Thinkpad X200 tablet
    • Win 7 Ultimate x64 with latest updates
    • Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Keyboard 7000 & Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 (came as a set)
    Hello Microsoft?  Anyone home?  I would think that keys randomly pressing by themselves and repeating would be considered a major bug...what if it starts sending emails by itself?  It only takes an errant ALT-S...

Update:

This problem has been occurring more and more and is making my computer unusable.  I went on a mission today to uninstall everything that might be interfering.  Specifically, I uninstalled the following:

• I disabled "Tablet PC Components" from "Programs and Features" -> "Turn Windows Features On or Off"
    • I removed the fingerprint scanner software and drivers
    • I removed the Synaptics driver for multi-finger gestures on the trackpad
    • I disabled the "Hotkeys" feature in the Intel Graphics Manager
    • I removed the Thinkpad Hotkeys drivers and utilities
    • I disabled "handwriting recognition"
    • I removed/disabled anything else that seemed unnecessary

I still get the problem.  It's getting worse and worse.  My computer is unusable.  Microsoft, are you listening?  You have a critical bug that makes your OS unusable.  It's unrelated to hardware (occurs on different laptops and different wireless keyboards) but seems to affect laptops not desktops.  You need to fix this now.  This is a Microsoft bug.

I'm afraid to call MS support because they'll just take my money and tell me to reinstall Windows....

mardi 2 novembre 2010 19:29
  • there is one other problem it could be, the key may have a bad connection within the keyboard possibly caused by something falling on the keyboard, im no expert, but just a thought.

I have changed batteries, reinstalled the drivers etc, tried it on my netbook, so personally i think this is a problem with the keyboard itself not any software problems or anything.

I am thinking of opening up my keyboard and see if there are any connection problems inside, but im no expert, so chances are im simply going to ruin the keyboard permanently.

mardi 2 novembre 2010 21:04
  • I'm using built-in Bluetooth, not a USB transceiver dongle, and I get this issue...so this is not the solution.
    mercredi 3 novembre 2010 00:04
  • This is not the case, since the key that repeats is different every time.  Also, I get this problem with three different wireless keyboards, two are MS, one is Logitech.
    mercredi 3 novembre 2010 00:05
  • Another update:

This problem is now occuring on my brand new Acer Timeline.  Two different PCs and three different wireless keyboards and they all experience this problem.

This is DEFINITELY a problem in Windows, it can't be hardware related.

mercredi 3 novembre 2010 00:07
  • Never had this problem but as of yesterday I do. changed keybord to a standart PS/2 but still occurs especially in games
    jeudi 11 novembre 2010 21:32
  • I don't know if every one having some problems with keyboard, is there are KVM or laptop/notebook docking station in between the keyboard and Windows 7 systems ?

I had tested some of you guys' configurations, but can not recreate the problem (I don't have KVM or docking station installed with my bests). So, I think it should be caused by KVM or docking station hardware compatibility issues with Win 7.

samedi 13 novembre 2010 09:27
  • I'm getting the same thing with a Microsoft Wireless keyboard 5000.  At first I thought they keys were sticking, but it does appear to happen with random keys.  The only thing that changed recently was I did a windows update and it installed the proper driver for the keyboard.  Prior to that I was using a generic driver.  I've tried resetting the                                                ...whoops. space bar stuck.... custom keys (which weren't set to begin with) and putting new batteries in the keyboard.  I think I will try removing the driver. 
    mercredi 17 novembre 2010 20:23
  • Tried several things: replaced batteries in mouse, moved USB receiver to different USB port, removed microsoft driver.  None seemed to work until I rebooted.  The problem has stopped for now.  If it resumes during working hours tomorrow, then maybe it's due to a new cordless phone in an adjoining office.  
    mercredi 17 novembre 2010 23:58
  • I don't know if every one having some problems with keyboard, is there are KVM or laptop/notebook docking station in between the keyboard and Windows 7 systems ?

I had tested some of you guys' configurations, but can not recreate the problem (I don't have KVM or docking station installed with my bests). So, I think it should be caused by KVM or docking station hardware compatibility issues with Win 7.

Sorry but I've been getting this problem on two different laptops running Win7 ultimate and neither have a KVM or docking station.  The problem happens with two different keyboards, too!
    mercredi 24 novembre 2010 00:06
  • I may have some good news.   I noticed that when I get this problem, the CPU fan noise on my laptop also gets loud, indicating high CPU load.  I started Task Manager and sorted by CPU usage, and noticed that there was a particular "svchost.exe *32" process that was taking up 10%-30% of CPU.  I killed the process and my keyboard problems went away.

It's possible that this particular service was causing problems.  Unfortunately, many services run as svchost.exe so I can't tell what service this actually was.  Does anyone know a way to figure this out using task manager or another tool?  I'll try to identify the service next time it happens...

mercredi 24 novembre 2010 00:12
  • Tried several things: replaced batteries in mouse, moved USB receiver to different USB port, removed microsoft driver.  None seemed to work until I rebooted.  The problem has stopped for now.  If it resumes during working hours tomorrow, then maybe it's due to a new cordless phone in an adjoining office.  
    It turns out the next day the problem started again.  And then went away.  I'm wondering if it was RF interference, although no one would admit to installing a new cordless phone or wireless router.
    vendredi 3 décembre 2010 14:50
  • I'm having the exact same problem, but it's much more serious. I'm using a HP computer running windows 7. No wireless keyboard, no separate mouse, no macros, no nothing. I'm in the middle of a document, hit delete, and guess what? The document starts to disappear one letter at a time. hitting the escape key does no good. Delete continues till every bit of work I've done is gone. It's very frustrating, and has me wondering if it's a software problem or if I'm unwittingly engaging some sort of shortcut, hitting alt delete, control delete, or some other key at the same time I press delete. The whole thing has me considering going to some other word program.
    lundi 31 janvier 2011 17:46
  • Ditto Here. HP Pavilion dv5-1233se. No external keyboard, logitech wireless mouse. Reformatted entire hard drive, installed Win7Ultimate full clean install.

Things i have noticed:

Even during bios startup sometimes keys are "entered" as you can here the chime of repeated keystrokes.

When Windows starts often the "Start menu" is open, and the cursur runs across the search bar as if the "space bar" is pressed.

Whatever icon is in the top LEFT of the screen is highlighted as if the mouse is hovered over it.

All programs that allow you to type are effected, whether it be word, excel, firefox, I.Explorer, notepad, ect.

All drivers check and up to date. All critical updates made. All HP updates made. No malware, scanned with Nortons, ESat, AVG, Malwarebytes, Ad-aware.  Tuned up with Glary, registy has been cleaned and updated via ccleaner. Disk defraggmented.

Physical keyboard cleaned.

I've done every idiot-proof step so far. even disable the touchpad. No luck. What are the odds anyone from Microsoft will respond?

lundi 31 janvier 2011 21:34
  • I hava found a solution.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=391304

on post #6

jeudi 10 février 2011 11:41
  • I got the same problem and I am not using any microsoft input devices. My keyboard is a Saitek v.7 and my mouse is a Razer Deathadder.
    A+, N+, MCP(Windows Xp)
    mercredi 23 février 2011 19:28
  • Possible solution here:

I've had this same problem for a long time and it was driving me crazy, so I thought I'd share what worked for me.  Had the same symptoms as most people--random keystrokes and mouse gestures, and it happened both when using an external keyboard and mouse or the built in keyboard and touchpad on an HP dv4 with Windows 7.  After trying all the fixes here and even re-installing windows, I eventually removed the built in keyboard, wiped off the connectors a bit and made sure it was really put back in tightly.  Everything's been working fine since then. 

My guess is that there are few different issues causing the problems people are describing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if checking the keyboard connection fixed things for a bunch of people.  Good luck!

lundi 9 mai 2011 03:40
  • well, i can see i'm not the only one with this prob. i will demonstrate noyw i will type normally(my prob is the letter y) here i will type what is my name: hello myyy

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

name is nickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

mercredi 8 juin 2011 19:17
  • Get the same problem and it is a MS issue as it has speed-ed up my whole system can't listen to anything on this computer. It looks like it's back to XP something dependable. Spell check sure helps.

HELP  E RIDER RICHAARD

mardi 19 juillet 2011 07:30
  • HI, I have the same problem with the Micrsoft Wireless Keyboard 8000.

Is there a solution?

Thanks Kind regards Werner

lundi 28 novembre 2011 18:52
  • I am having the same issues on multiple systems, All laptops. 2 of the Laptops are setup with Avocent Cybex KVM's and HP USB Keyboars and Mice,

2 are setup with the keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the laptop, one is plugged into an IO Gear KVM. One of the laptops with theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekeyboard plugged directly into the laptop is only haviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisues with the mouse freezing for a few seconds, others, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch as this one, havvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve issues with the keyboard stickinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and the mouse freezing and the otttttttttttttttttthers just have issues with the keyboard stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. One has also seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeissuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuith (Seen Issues with....I am Leaving effects of this issue intact to show wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhat I am having to deal with) the USB Smart card reader losing connectivity, causing the system to lock. Allllllllllllllllllllof these systems have recently been migrattttttttttttttttttto Windows 7.

mardi 6 décembre 2011 15:03
  • I just got a Microsoft Keyboard and mouse 8000 and I have the same issue of sticky keys

I am using windows vista 64 bit. However, My main problem with the keyboard and mouse is that they loose bluetooth connection after a while and in for them to work again I have to remove the bluetooth again and then re-pair.. I am not moving the keyboard and it is not far away from the bluetooth key so I am not sure why this is happening. This seems to be happening every time the computer goes dormant...

I picked a microsoft keyboard and mouse to work with a microsoft operating system and I was expecting no compatibility issues as a result.. Well for one of the most expensive keyboard and mouse combo on the market, this is absolutely ridiculous.

Next time I'll stick with Logitech.

Meanwhile any tips on making this work better for me?

samedi 17 décembre 2011 15:51
  • Hi there. I am using Win 7 32 bit, a targus bluetooth mouse, a Mac bluetooth keyboard and a bootcamped Macbook Air.  Getting slowed mouse movements and random lack of response from keyboard or sticky keys as described above.  I have had an immediate but not sure if long term improvement by applying Milopolo's fix above though instead of HID input service (under services) it is Human Interface Device Access.  If you do not hear back then it has continued to be a fix for me...
    jeudi 22 décembre 2011 22:00
  • Possible solution here:

My guess is that there are few different issues causing the problems people are describing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if checking the keyboard connection fixed things for a bunch of people.  Good luck!

Just posting to say this also fixed it for me.
    vendredi 16 mars 2012 14:11
  •  have the same issue since more than 2 years and Microsoft is not respondig, not depending which Notebook or Keyboard,

I use IBM Thinkpad T60P and Microsoft keyboard 8000. Even after installing a complete new system, the same issues and
    microsoft don't care the customer...

Got really angry in the meantime....

mercredi 4 avril 2012 18:48
  • This issues has suddenly started on my HP 8540w laptop using the laptop keyboard. I was editing a document in Word 2010, and noticed that every once in a while, I would get double characters in my text. I first thought that I was pressing the key too long or something. But then I had to delete a word, pressed del about 4 times and it ran wild... deleting all text until word couldn't handle it and just hung.

The only recent change on my computer is the installation of the Symantec DLO Backup software, but I doubt this would cause the problem?

jeudi 12 avril 2012 07:31
  • Same problem here...  Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit, Microsoft NEK 4000 (keyboard, usb; not wireless, no KVM, no docking station (Desktop computer)).  Number 2 key randomly repeats; it will even bring the system out of "sleep" mode.  No spills.  Tried most of the above...  No luck.

What's the story Microsoft??

jeudi 26 avril 2012 06:57
  • I am facing this problem too. Experiments done till now which failed are

• Hiren CD software
    • Antivirus(Norton,Mc Fee), Anti-Malware
    • Changes in Registry
    • Format Primary partition and reinstall OS as Windows 7

The problem which I found is infected keyboard buffer which can solved by fixing from BIOS. Since it is Bios issue, therefore all the procedures used above failed.

Virus name expected : Fu Manchu

Still working to fix at BIOS level by fixmbr, fixboot command.

Hope this helps.

Girish

jeudi 10 mai 2012 14:51
  • I'm also having this problem in MS Word 2010 / MS Office Professional Plus 2010 / Windows 7 Enterprise / Toshiba Satellite P755D laptop: when I'm typing fast, I get repeated characters, and often uncontrolled scrolling/highlighting of whole document, then freeze.

I don't think this is a keyboard issue, since I'm just using the laptop's keyboard.

Seems like enough people have reported this that the issue should by now be identified, along with a fix for non-professional users, but I'm not seeing it...

Thanks!

samedi 15 décembre 2012 16:03
  • I had this problem where, for exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaample....

Turned out that I have an Asus mainboard that has an NEC USB hub that Windows doesn't have drivers for.  Windows does report the missing driver with a warning in device manager, but the keyboard and mouse were working OK anyways, except for the repeat problem that I've never had before.

Installing the NEC USB Hub drivers solved the problem for me, haven't had a key repeat problem in 2 days now.  Check your device manager for USB driver errors.

lundi 17 décembre 2012 11:24
  • This issue is very annoying. I have an HP laptop. No external mouse or keyboard. At random, backpace key is clicked. I do not click it nor any other key to cause it to happen. I'll sit and watch and verify that the backspace key is being pressed. This is made obvious by the fact that the backspace key is used to scroll through all pictures in a directory using a third party picture viewing app (acdsee).

However,  I can't fault the app. When I am viewing a webpage, the backspace acts as a vertical scroller. A large webpage will continually scroll vertical for no reason whatsoever. The action can be interrupted by disabling the Synaptic Touch-Pad. In other words, when I see it happen, I hit the button to disable the touchpad. It ceases then. However, I need to use the touch pad so I re-enable it only to experience the same issue a minute or two later.

Another issue is with the touch pad. It's quirky. Sometimes, it won't process my clicks. It just ignores my clicks. It eventually works because I tap at a different place. There are other times where it won't respond at all. It ignores everything. The fix has always been to disable the touchpad then to enable it again. It will work for a few minutes. Rinse/Repeat.

Another strange thing to report: this issue first presented itself over a year ago. I toggled with some settings against the touch pad using the Synaptics utility. I modified the sensitivity, changed different settings. This seemed to fix it because it wasn't happening for a few months afterwards. Back to square one. A tempermental touch pad?

HP with Windows Vista, 32 bit

Any ideas appreciated.

mardi 28 mai 2013 14:37
  • There is a good chance it is a dust problem. Clean your keyboard and all connections, switches etc.
    mercredi 26 juin 2013 19:22
  • try remove ur laptop battery and see.
    samedi 6 juillet 2013 02:06
  • New ThinkPad lenovo T430s

Windows 7 enterprise edition

IT team replaced with Microsoft keyboard and mouse, updated bios, problem still persists

From beginning of boot up where entering a boot sequence password, to Windows environment, frequent daily instances of Home-key rapid firing until Esc button hit.

jeudi 8 août 2013 15:31
  •  i also i have the same problem that the key -- is repeating always between while i m typing any text 

im using windows 8 and more over i thought it was keyboard problem so i replace it and- buyed i knew one but facing the same problem please help

lundi 26 août 2013 19:25
  • Dell Vostro laptop, built-in keyboard or external keyboard, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04:

Similar problem to the discussed.  When booting normally (straight into Windows 7 as only installed OS), the '*' display in the password edit box keeps running before any keys were typed, at a slower rate than when holding a key down.  The mouse still works normally.  When selecting "switch user" with mouse and clicking on the other user account, the character being repeated can be seen in the "user name" edit box, it is 'p' (or 'P' if shift or caps lock is pressed).  When pressing another key, the other key works normally.  When the other is released, 'p' starts repeating again.

The built-in Dell diagnostic tool (selectable during boot) passes all keyboard tests, including tests for stuck key and testing the key 'p' individually.

When booting Ubuntu 10.04 from a flash thumb drive the problem is less severe, but after opening an editor (e.g. OpenOffice Write) and pressing the  'p' character key, it ('p') is repeated until another key is pressed, after which normal operation continues (until 'p' is pressed again).

Adding and removing an external USB keyboard makes no difference to the symptoms. 

I would think that the problem is at a lower level than the OS, as the problem (albeit with slightly different symptoms) shows up on Windows and Ubuntu.

I'm considering to reset my config to defaults (after noting down the hard disk type etc).  Has anyone tried that?  Any other advice?

dimanche 29 septembre 2013 14:07
  • Hi,

This issue suddenly popped up for me too.

Go into the control panel, search for "keyboard", click on Keyboard and in keyboard properties change the "Repeat delay" to long  and set the "Repeat Rate" slower too if required. 

vendredi 11 octobre 2013 22:45
  • I've tried the repeat rate, the HID fix, etc. but am still having the problem.   Sometimes the notebook acts like a key is stuck on startup and you have to reboot to get it cleared.  Once started, I can load the notepad and just let the cursor blink. 

After a while we start getting ‘rrrrrrrrrrrrrr ‘ .  Hit ESC. ,etc

Timed out and started pinging again.   Logged on again,  Notepad still running. 

After a while we start getting ‘eeeeeeeee ‘ .  Hit ESC. etc. 

Are there ghosts out there?  This is an HP Pavilion g7-1150us running W7 Pro 64-bit.  
    From the sound of things here, changing out the keyboard may not be the answer. 

Microsoft, where art thou?

jeudi 17 octobre 2013 18:24
  • ok, heres my 2 bobs worth. Running windows 8 (totally killed my Dell desktops performance, continual PC not responding message, then comes good) but i digress....Since Win8 was installed i too get the repeat characters. Any screen i go to that has a space to type, such as open a google search page and all of a sudden...sssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...random times, random letters..such a pain..i was wondering weather a format and reinstall was needed...good ol windows...where else could u make a few billion from a faulty product. Gates is a genius!!

vendredi 18 octobre 2013 00:51
  • After running W7 x64 for 2 weeks, one of my users started experiencing this issue. Multiple phantom key presses (not just the same key repeating), deleted emails and content in Word and documents will open and move on their own. It has also been accompanied by shallow beeps via the speaker, as if a key was being pressed but nothing was accepting the input. After a PC swap, 3 keyboards and 2 mice, I think I can safely say this isn't hardware related. The user has a HP 8300 with a wired kb and mouse (both PS2). No other devices are plugged in accept the speakers, monitor and cat5. I've tried the solutions above but nothing has fixed the issue that seems to occur at random.

I'd like to blame the user but I have witnessed these occurrences while we both watched the PC and no one was touching the mouse or keyboard. Any ideas?

mardi 3 décembre 2013 20:46
  • Good answer. Saw it, and instantly saw the intelligent answer. Thanks for not wasting anyone's time and good explanation. Saved me from pondering everything and loosing sleep

mercredi 8 janvier 2014 05:06
  • Did you use with KVM switch ?  If yes, what is the brand and model number ?

If you use with KVM switch(s), then the KVM switch may be required to be upgraded. 

dimanche 12 janvier 2014 20:40
  • I read with interest the above  as I have been afflicted with this malady just this morning. After faffing about a bit I downloaded a rescue disk ISO and put it in the afflicted computer and started it up, having first disconnected from the network.

While it was booting into the disk program there was a black screen and letters started to appear in the top left hand corner and whiz to the right. it then started to show the usual start screen, just as before. Turned off and cleared the BIOS with the result that whatever it was has gone. All working fine mnow.

Hope this helps someone.

lundi 20 janvier 2014 11:47
  • Hay not sure where to search or what to search for but I've had it happen to me with xp vista win 7 and win 8, i'll turn on my pc it run fine but at random times my keyboard starts responding weird like as if I was holding the windows key or alt key and other keys my keyboard is brand new and it does it with other keyboards as well, mouse seems to be fine I can open say IE and soon as I start typing it does weird stuff as if I was holding down one of the windows or alt  or ctrl key, say like I will type h and a drop down window open for say idk book marks or when I use the mouse n left double click my computer it opens properties or when I try and click the start shutdown the windows closes almost as fast as I open it, like stated its done it one windows xp vista win 7 and win 8.1, it's kinda a p**s off, and the only to correct it is to hold power or hit the reset button then it works fine, I have ran virus scan after virus scans and it all comes out clear no viruses (Comodo virus scanner, AVG, Malware bytes, spybot search and destroy, highjack this, live cd virus scan tools) and they all come up with nothing. has anyone else had this problem, how to fix it or is it something. never had this problem with Mac only with Microsoft, all my software is genuine software no mods or hacks or anything of the sort, all websites that are not family rated are blocked by net nanny and hardware firewall with authentication devices such as cisco firewall, any help with fixing this problem would be great. thanks  
    samedi 25 janvier 2014 10:19
  • thanks a lot.my keyboard is now working fine after following ur steps.

regards,

chandru

• Proposé comme réponse ColdMotive samedi 22 mars 2014 02:50
    • Non proposé comme réponse ColdMotive samedi 22 mars 2014 02:50
    samedi 8 février 2014 02:20
  • I solved this problem by replacing my RALink (now Mediatek) 3290 Wi-fi/bluetooth card with one form Intel. I had the repeating- last-key-pressed problem on a new Sharkk keyboard and an older MS multimedia one.   I tried suggestions from this and other forums to no avail.  System is an HP Envy 15" laptop  running Windows 8.1.

• Proposé comme réponse ColdMotive samedi 22 mars 2014 03:29
    samedi 22 mars 2014 03:29
  • I've been battling this ridiculous keyboard repeating nonsense (microsoft keyboard and mouse 7000) and I think I've narrowed it to a solution.  A keyboard that works fine ( was expensive) and appears to have some driver glitches.  I've got the new sculpt ergonomic so I have a keyboard at work and home.  No problems with the new one.

I noticed that forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr some reason this keyboard worked fine with no problems on a WIN7 desktop.  Generic drivers appeared to be the possible solution.  When I remove them from my WIN8.1 laptop (delete drivers), it doesn't appear to fix the problem.

However, I noticed that when I boot in safe mode, the keyboard works fine.

In addition, right after (re-)installing windows the keyboard works fine (without internet).

My suspicion is that we cannot use the microsoft drivers because they are the problem.  Once I install the "updated" drivers, the repeating comes back to life.  However, deleting them from the system doesn't fix the problem so it just seems like a "virus" catching on to the system.  Reinstalling windows appears to work but I also think there is another culprite.  After installing all windows update, I notice the repeating keyboard problem.  So there appears to bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbe two things causing this.

I've noticed that a majority of the keyboard repeating problems are microsoft ergonomic keyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyboard and moust 7000.  They don't have windows 8/8.1 drivers.  I suspect that the problem is a driver problem.

In summary, what works (for me):

• safe mode
    • fresh install of windows installing generic drivers

Hope that helps someone or helps to contribute to a resolution.

• Modifié SSJDENG lundi 31 mars 2014 04:58
    lundi 31 mars 2014 04:50
  • After doing some more fresh installs and trying to pinpoint what is causing this repeating key, I've narrowed it down to .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0).

When some of my programs need it and I install it, I start to notice the keyboard repeat/lag problem.  So that is the down side of removing it to make the keyboard work.

I had an inkling feeling that it had to be some microsoft update that was causing the problem and I think this is it.  I don't know how practical it will be for people to uninstall this if they need it for some of the software they have installed.

I will need to do some more investigating to confirm this is the source of all the problems and if other people who have this problem try to see if this is the solution, this can also help confirm it as well.  I really hope this is it because I'm starting to run out of patience.

samedi 5 avril 2014 03:55
  • After doing more testing removing .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0), I have enough evidence to believe that this was causing the problem with the keyboard lagging and repeating keys uncontrollably.  When I had it installed/turned on, it was lagging but as soon as it was removed, I didn't have any problems.

I hope this will help those people who have no idea what the problem is with a lagging keyboard.

The downside is the fact that some of the software I use needs it in order to run.  (Adobe digital editions, suunto movescount, batterycare).  Basically a give and take here.

jeudi 10 avril 2014 04:35
  • With other problems, I overlooked the solution that has worked before and did not plug it into a USB port on the laptop.  It was plugged into a hub.  We have had a lot of luck with the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse 5000 till the keys kept repeating.  We purchased another "set" and the problem still happened.  So, after reading this, I was reminded of the problem of where the USB cable is plugged in order to work properly.  So far, no problems with repeat keys.  Thanks for the reminder.
    jeudi 24 avril 2014 22:15
  • I agree with SSJDENG. The culprit is the .NET framework (ver 4 in my case). I never had this problem on a Vista 64 PC that I've been using for years. Two days ago I installed .NET 4 and since then, I have had the issue three times.
    dimanche 15 juin 2014 18:17
  • I was having similar issue where the keys repeated unexpectedly and randomly. This is very dangerous specially when pressing Delete or Enter keys. In my case I was using a USB Hub. That seems to be the problem. Now I connected the keyboard to the main USB port without using the USB Hub. So far I don't have the repeating issue.
    dimanche 6 juillet 2014 16:14
  • This problem occurs to me when I stop typing and the last letter keeps repeatingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I solved it by unchecking Mouse Keys and Sticky Keys in Control Panel (ease of access center)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Now it happens once in a while though.

• Modifié The Bizz jeudi 17 juillet 2014 16:01 spelling
    jeudi 17 juillet 2014 15:59
  • So it's been 5 years since the OP, but plenty more people have had issues since then.  What worked for me, was to use Nirsoft's USBDeview, to uninstall ALL usb devices, and let the system find and reinstall only the devices currently used.

Probably nothing to do with it, but to be thorough: In Process Explorer, I changed all processes to run under "normal" priority.

edit: Darn, it did it again.  Though it is doing it a lot less now.
    • Modifié giga crow mardi 12 août 2014 18:13
    mardi 12 août 2014 12:42
  • Try my solution.  I'm most certain it is the solution.

Remove .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) (Uncheck in programs)

Let us know if it solves your problem

mardi 19 août 2014 15:17
  • hi Girish,

Did you resolved this issue in BIOS level ?

if yes can you post it what is the procedure.

lundi 1 septembre 2014 10:54
  • For mobile users, upgrading windows can be a frustrating experience. Vendors want to sell more machines so they do all kinds of evil things like white lists and more.

Also generally keyboards do not last forever, replacing a notebook keyboard takes me 20 minutes or so with the proper tools

desktop keyboards are obviously easier to replace

Corsair Carbide 300R with TX850V2
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 (GK104 Kepler)
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!

lundi 1 septembre 2014 11:02
  • Problem

Repeating gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg (h, p, or / too) in Google Chrome search bar; projector icon box of "Computer only      duplicate     extend     projector only" when never having been connected to a projector showing up repeatedly irregardless of program used or none; vibrating pointer; unable to type in the Run command line, non-responsive to control pointer; blank window flashing (5-10 times per second) from network drive  prompt; 

Windows 7 Home Premium

HP dv6z-6b00

no separate anything- mouse-keyboard

no Apple products installed

has Norton Security Suite

System restore no help

Tried the HID solution mentioned above.

A Windows update occurred, Nov 1, 2014, around the start of the problem, Nov 3, 2014. I loaded all documents and pictures to a new flash drive.

Deleted .Net framework 4.5.1 which had a message that it would be deleted when a newer version came out; there is a version 2 already there. Deleted was KB2858725 and after that the machine was unresponsive. Hard shut down resulted in a kind of safe (black screen with white text) start up screen, asking me to choose windows 7 to start (this has occured before deleting the net frame file) but no key will make move to any where.

True story-- the doorbell rings, fluffy small white dogs rush barking to the front window looking for an intruder--- Fed Ex appears with a Apple Mac Pro -- problem abandoned-- but I would like to fix the PC.

mardi 11 novembre 2014 21:11
  • wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hwello,

As you can sewewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I too suffer from this problem. Only the "ww" kewy seemsw to beww affected. Obviously I have done some food or wwawter damagewww to my poor machine. I am so sorry.

I am intentionally not deleting the extra ww characters to illuwstrawtew thew problewm.

Swincwewrelwy,

Daniewl W"3ICE"W Bewrewzvai.

p.s.: No, there are noww wwwww characters in my name.wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

http://3ice.hu/

• Modifié 3ICE mercredi 24 décembre 2014 23:12 wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    mercredi 24 décembre 2014 23:12
  • Hi all, I just ran into the same issue with my new PC running Windows 8.1. My keyboard is a wireless Chieftech where its receiver is connected via a TRENDnet 205 KVM switch. While the keyboard worked well over the KVM switch port connected to my old XP machine it did not work with the new one over the second port of the switch. Entering text into what ever field randomly ended up in unstoppable auto repeats of a particular character. After having searched intensively on the Web also arriving here I still had not yet an idea what else to do than buy new hardware. But after a few hours break and working with an old wired keyboard instead it suddenly came to mind about the batteries in the keyboard ! I just checked them and found that they are already at about low 1.25V each (remember that with the old PC they still were good enough). GUESS WHAT: After having replaced the batteries the issue was gone. No problem anymore with the keyboard on either machine still connected over the KVM switch.
    • Proposé comme réponse Fredy S samedi 10 janvier 2015 12:20
    • Modifié Fredy S samedi 10 janvier 2015 12:35 Corrections
    samedi 10 janvier 2015 12:11
  • It happens to me in windows 8 with bluetooth keyboards
    even after reinstalling windows and before doing anything the bug is there

I have done some changes in registry as adviced here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120622185110/http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php?/topic/39963-repeated-key-problem-almost-found-a-solution-and-a-question/page__st__20__p__382845

it has been much better since then but now and then it occurs again

lundi 20 juillet 2015 21:11
  • With me it was caused by some bluetooth/wifi interference when both bluetooth mouse and keyboard were paired.

After I did this, the problem seems to be solved:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmOuaIE6-uqOExPMHhuNTRxWkE/view?usp=sharing

I don't know why bluetooth collaboration should be disabled, but nevertheless it helps

• Modifié majkael vendredi 24 juillet 2015 17:07
    jeudi 23 juillet 2015 06:18
  • Nothing helps really. the problems depends on the traffic via wifi. When downloading it's worst. either keyboard repeats or mouse lags terribly. Don't know if there's way to configure wifi adapter to fix this.. (?)
    lundi 3 août 2015 22:05
  • I've had this problem for two YEARS now. I recently updated to Windows 10, but the problem still exists. *sigh*

And gosh it was hard to write this message.

• Modifié Igettäjä vendredi 7 août 2015 17:31 typo
    vendredi 7 août 2015 17:30
  • 1.Disable blue tooth firmware also wi-fi temporarly.2.think to update bios as well as firmware updates , specially keyboard

mardi 5 janvier 2016 07:19
  • I have Windows 10 installed. I have a Microsoft 400 keyboard. In the last few weeks, I'll be typing along with no problems and all of a sudden the last character I type starts repeating itself - rows and rows of the same letter. If I try to make it stop it doesn't and if I click on the start menu, the character is typing there as well - actually in any program you can type in, it repeats.  I thought it was my keyboard at first, so I bought a new keyboard and it's still happening.  I can't even shut down normally. I have to press the off button to manually shut down the computer. It's ridiculous, and I'm tired of it - can anyone help??  I swear, if I had known Windows 10 was going to give me these problems, I would never have updated. Can you revert back to Windows 7?? Because I'm about at my wits end :(

Thanks,

Joanne

mardi 12 janvier 2016 05:18
  • Ok.  So I have an HP laptop using an HP 3000pr Port Replicator also have a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 keyboard running Windows 7 x64.

When plugged directly into the laptop it worked fine.  As soon as I moved it to the USB 3.0 port on the replicator I have the same repeating issue you guys talk about.  I moved it to the USB 2.0 port on the front of the replicator and the problem seems to go away. 

Maybe try plugging the keyboard into a USB 2.0 port (if you still have one) and see if the issue goes away.  The other thing that could be the issue is that my laptop does not have any 3.0 ports, so I guess there could be some sort of mismatch when trying to use the USB 3.0 ports on the port replicator connected to the USB 2.0 on the laptop.

mercredi 20 janvier 2016 15:54
  • Well, it's driving me insane. I've done everything, and I believe it is a real bug designed to both sell move computers, money from online help and to connect with our computers subversively. You know they have the power and an agenda. I suddenly started having this bug, typing G$-@ over and over in any text box or browser. That makes no sense, and I would like Microsoft to investigate this as an attack on their service to thousands of disappointed customers.
    mercredi 22 juin 2016 06:32
  • I had and have similar problem... I got a MS erg kbd 4000 years ago, when it came out, it was working fine until one day it started typing by itself, no matter what application I had running, it start pop-ing out menus, like if I had press any Function key or any ALT+ or Ctrl+, etc..

One time it started doing it and I could open the notepad, it started typing lots of random keys all by itself. like hgoufywgouwygo jwhfiw wufewoi quiphqeuyipqe euphfieq and functions keys and alt+keys combinations.

The problem stopped and then started so many times, randomly, all I could do was to disconnect and connect, and sometimes disconnect and wait a while, like for 5 minutes then it worked fine.

Sometimes I was typing in a word processor and between words there was lots of random letters, so I decided to trash it, I gived up, so it was defective and out of warranty...

Then I started using other keyboard brand and all was fine, then I decided to BUY another MS keyboard 4000, and after a while it started doing the same thing the other one did, and I knew the problem was not the computer system as I had change computers the first time it happened like 3 times, and now like 2 more times and it does the same, so I just get to the conclusion that the problem is the keyboard.

First after a while I thought it was a driver issue because if I connect the keyboard and use the "generic" drivers the problem did not happened but once I install the Official Microsoft drivers with all the features it bring back the problem, but after a while using this "generic"drivers problem comes back much later that using the one provided on the CD or hardware support website.

I test that with the 2 keyboards, so I guess the problem is this model in particular that have some defective programming code or chip that triggers this behavior, if I stop using it and connect it a month later it will work but then some day it will start typing random keys all by itself.

And there were times when this problem happened when I was in the middle of a game, so you can imagine all the things that happened.

I am the type of person that NEVER shutdown the computer or leave it on sleep or any stand-by mode, so I had to trash the keyboard because if I am not present when it does that then probably I will loose some files or run any program or do something that I will not like to happen...

To end the story of my case, I got the same keyboard again, a 3rd one but I took it from a friend, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM... so this Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 400 is defective in some way, because 3 different keyboards in 8 different systems?....

보고짚어! ... Otherwise all apart from the rest is just MENTAL!...

• Modifié PCasado mercredi 27 juillet 2016 05:56
    mercredi 27 juillet 2016 05:39
  • I logged in just to thank you for your help. I cannot express in words how much your instructions mean to me. I have been dealing with this problem for ages and your comment hit me like a handful of wonder-dust. Thank you so so so much!!
    mardi 16 août 2016 20:23
  • Sadia,

There must be over a hundred comments here. Which one hit you like a "handful of wonder-dust?"

mercredi 9 novembre 2016 20:24
  • I have the same, or similar troubles. As of windows 10, my Aten CS1644 causes keys not to respond or to not respond turning off (hanging). It's random, maybe often when I'm really fast. Especially in gaming this is undoable, because I have randomness in effect of what I try to do.. In typing it's trouble too, but I can always backspace and restore the key hannnnnnnnnnnng. 

I did roll back to Win 7 enterprise. It was gone then. No troubles. Re-installed win10 again, and it was there again. I assume Aten needs to bring out new drivers, to fix this issue on this with Win10 USB connectivity communication, or whatever.

vendredi 23 décembre 2016 12:21
  • I have the same, or similar troubles. As of windows 10, my Aten CS1644 causes keys not to respond or to not respond turning off (hanging). It's random, maybe often when I'm really fast. Especially in gaming this is undoable, because I have randomness in effect of what I try to do.. In typing it's trouble too, but I can always backspace and restore the key hannnnnnnnnnnng. 

I did roll back to Win 7 enterprise. It was gone then. No troubles. Re-installed win10 again, and it was there again. I assume Aten needs to bring out new drivers, to fix this issue on this with Win10 USB connectivity communication, or whatever.

When I take the KVM out of the loop, in Windows 10 - no more key hangs. But.. I am using it for a reason: 4 machines attached! Please help.
    • Proposé comme réponse DaveRGo jeudi 9 février 2017 15:07
    • Non proposé comme réponse DaveRGo jeudi 9 février 2017 15:07
    • Proposé comme réponse DaveRGo jeudi 9 février 2017 15:13
    • Non proposé comme réponse DaveRGo jeudi 9 février 2017 15:13
    vendredi 23 décembre 2016 12:22
  • Whew, finally I can post.

I have had this problem with MS Natural keyboards PN 59758 (a couple of different ones), with Win XP and 7 home premium, with Belkin, Monoprice, and a couple of other brands of cable adapters.  I am currently hoping that not using a hub will help.  One thing I have noticed:  In my case, hitting any key will stop the repeat, and when you next hit the key that was (logically) stuck down, it doesn't work that one time.  You have to hit it twice to get the required character.  Odds bodkins!!!   MS, do you have anyone with the needed skill level to resolve this mess, or should we give up on Windows???  It has been reported in every Windows version from XP to 10.  Come on, grow a pair!

jeudi 9 février 2017 15:13
  • Well,  I plugged into the PC native USB port (no hub) and an hour later the problem repeated.

So MINE is NOT a hub problem.  

I am running a keyboard which uses native PS2 interface, so I use an adapter cable to USB.

Is anyone NOT running a PS2 keyboard who has this problem?  I do not have the problem with a native USB kybd.

Still struggling...

• Proposé comme réponse DaveRGo lundi 27 février 2017 17:27
    jeudi 9 février 2017 17:58
  • My Friend you have a sticky key on your key board, just a little dirt or jamb on the fingers will cause it to keep repeating once cleaned  your all set
    vendredi 10 février 2017 02:43
  • Always remember the switch you use most whether a car door, window switch, door bell switch or a key board will stop working before the electronic does.

You my Friend have some dirt in the key board either liquid spilled or dirt or soiled  finger or just plain dirt and dust Remove the top of the key board gently raise it straight up then just to plastic top wash in  hot water, blow dry it and reassemble. make sure you rinse the underside of the keys and top side. blow dry it  for 15 minutes back and forth so the keys will freely move with just the wind of the blow drier and your on your way.

Test keyboard first to see if it stops running crazy, unplug the key board, if the keys stop running crazy (Isolated the problem) then it I the key board dirt

Tom Roberts

vendredi 10 février 2017 02:59
  • Well, that's an opinion.  Sadly it's not right. 

Solved my problem!

First, my problem.  In Win XP and Win 7  using a MS Natural Kybd PN 59758 and a variety of PS2->USB adapter cables, I would have repeats of various keyboard letters and stuck Ctrl, Alt, space bar.  You could clear the control keys by striking the key again, you could stop the repeating keys by hitting any key.  When you had stopped a repeating alpha key, the next time you hit it (only this once) it would not type.

Now the solution:

It turns out this is a timing problem in cheezy adapter cables such as Monoprice, Belkin, DataStar and others.

They are not "active" adapters.

You need an active adapter, such as Sanoxy cube (Amazon and other sources)

or any other vendor of an identical Chinese cube adapter.   Problem gone!

Don't ask how many hours it took to figure this out....

Critical clue was  tinyurl.com/sanoxyps2  review headlined:  The one that actually works

lundi 27 février 2017 17:39
  • >You my Friend have some dirt in the key board

No, I don't. I unboxed it an hour ago.

>unplug the key board, if the keys stop running crazy (Isolated the problem) then it I the key board dirt

And what if they don't? Even after unplugging the keyboard, it kept happening. This is not a keyboard issue.

This happened on a desktop. My solution was to uninstall the PS/2 keyboard driver, while keeping the USB keyboard driver. This may not work for you, but (knock on wood) it's working for me.

jeudi 16 mars 2017 18:42
  • Yes, this bug DOES have some relation with the HID service, I can confirm it.

It happens with different hardware configurations, at least on Windows 7 and Windows 10, using original Microsoft Keyboards plugged in original DELL machines.

In our company, I was unplugging/plugging USB keyboard from/to the machines after EVERY single reboot as a workaround to solve the problem, which is extremably annoying.

Reading this forum today, someone suggested to mess with the HID Service (Human Interface Device Service). I played a little bit with it, enabling and disabling the service using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and suddently the keyboard stopped repeating the keys.

I still didn't find a final workaround solution for this bug, but shame on Windows development teams, this issue is on Windows 7 Ultimate and also in the newest Windows 10 versions for so long, and in so many different hardware configurations, that it simply sounds very unprofessional.

Please fix this awful bug ASAP.

dimanche 2 juillet 2017 16:46
  • Hi,

this problem started a week ago. Suddenly when I start to type the sentence beginns with a - (dash) - example for the google search:

-what is causing...

Then of course I get an error. microsoft.com is then -microsoft.com and page error.

And suddenly in WORD or Skype etc ------------------------ goes on and on for pages.

I thought I had a trojan yesterday and reset back to original but it still does this.

Logitech solar keyboard K750 and windows 10 home. HP Desktop.

This is crazy, it's not doing it on my HP laptop and it better not start doing it there :-(

I really don't understand how for years this has been occurring and all Microsoft does is take our money and not really fix anything, unless the next update will fix what the last update screwed up and then we get a new up date to fix....

I'm really upset :-(

lundi 4 décembre 2017 19:16
  • Well I actually have had this problem with my desktop, I use A Microsoft keyboard 200 (which was also external) and I have the same problem. I recommend getting A new one that is trustable and,easy to use.

Eden

vendredi 12 janvier 2018 18:53
  •     Occasionally when typing on my laptop keys begin to repeat uncontrollably and the machine is thrown into a condition in which I (the owner) am "locked out."  A simple tap on that notice removes the problem of being locked out, but the repetition of a random key still occurs.  How can I overcome this awful problem?
    jeudi 1 février 2018 14:54
  • On my laptop HP Pavilion dv5-2112 I was having that problem when the cursor was configured not to blink. Then I set it back to blink again and it stopped autorepeating keys. You can configure this on the keyboard settings - blinking rate - from the control panel. I hope this helps. Regards

vendredi 16 mars 2018 19:02
  • I suspected the HID service, so I'm glad to read this confirmation of my suspicion. I've reset my keyboard repeat speed, but if that doesn't fix it, I'm messing with HID. Thanks for sharing where to find this.

lundi 2 avril 2018 17:03
  • Thanks, I changed my HID service from manual to automatic and it seems to have fixed it for me.
    samedi 27 avril 2019 00:33
  • I had the exact same problem but I found a solution.  I can see there are a number of problems being described here all with different causes.  Same way a fever in a person might be the flu or it might be ebola.  You might have a stuck key or you might have a macro enabled or a dead battery - same symptoms. 

In my case I would be typing and suddenly the keyboard would take off repeating a key.  If I pressed an ESC it would stop.  Only to repeat again a bit later.  This was on Windows 10 using the Microsoft wireless 5050 and wireless mouse.  I replaced both with the identical model - same problem.  Replaced with the Logitek MK735 keyboard and mouse - same problem. 

I had my dongle plugged into an external hub from Aukey.  That hub in turn was plugged into another hub.  The idea initially was to get the dongle closer to the keyboard, improve reception and free up a USB Port on the computer. 

The solution was very simple - just plug the dongle directly into the back of the computer instead of the hub.  Problem vanished.  

Having two hubs chained together is always a bad idea but in this case it must have introduced just enough noise or delay or something to cause the keyboard to go nuts occasionally. 

So if you have your dongle in a hub and you have tried everything else, move your dongle to your PC.  Hope it helps.

vendredi 2 août 2019 22:57