none
I can't connect to the Internet on Windows XP Mode on Windows 7 machine RRS feed

• שאלה

• I have Windows XP Mode  on my Windows 7 machine.

It has been working fine for over a year and  now I find I cannot connect to the Internet on the virtual machine.

Everything is working fine in Windows 7.

I am connected wirelessly.

Can someone suggest what/where to look to resolve this issue.?

There were no updates I am aware of.

Can internet access somehow have been blocked on my Win 7 for the virtual machine ?

Thank you.

יום רביעי 29 פברואר 2012 17:40

תשובות

כל התגובות

• Open the Settings for the vm and check which network adaptor it is using.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Juke ChouModerator יום שישי 02 מרץ 2012 08:49
    יום רביעי 29 פברואר 2012 19:21
  • I'm using NAT but I've tried all the others without any luck.
    יום חמישי 01 מרץ 2012 00:35
  • Hi

I take that back. I set the adapter to the same that the host machine is using and then I "rebooted" the virtual machine. That reboot seemed

to do the trick - I didn't do this before.

Thank you.

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Juke ChouModerator יום שישי 02 מרץ 2012 08:49
    יום חמישי 01 מרץ 2012 01:04
  • Just installed XP Mode and was having problems with this.

Just what I needed to know!

יום שישי 02 מרץ 2012 04:08
  • Hi
    Bro mx1  you just need to stop the firewall in completely in windows 7

and use the network type NAT in virtual pc then make Restart it 

and go to net adapter  in win XP >properties > Advance  firewall setting >make it OFF

sure it will work because when I where reading your message I solve it in my pc I where also have same problem 

GOOD LUCK

יום ראשון 01 אפריל 2012 09:38
  • Hi
    Bro mx1  you just need to stop the firewall in completely in windows 7

and use the network type NAT in virtual pc then make Restart it 

and go to net adapter  in win XP >properties > Advance  firewall setting >make it OFF

sure it will work because when I where reading your message I solve it in my pc I where also have same problem 

GOOD LUCK

It is not necessary to turn of the firewall at all.  If you have to turn off the firwall to get the connection working, then there is something else wrong with your setup.  I have never turned the firewall off on my Windows 7 and the XP Mode connects to the internet without any problem!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

יום ראשון 01 אפריל 2012 13:23
  • I have the same problem. After going through all the steps to resolve this issue, I ended up on the following problem:

- Cannot browse certain Microsoft websites from IE 8 under Windows XP Mode (SP3) under Windows 7 virtual PC.

Summary of what I did:

- Set network adaptor of the XP Mode to use same network adaptor of Windows 7

- Setup XP Machine to join the same network of the host

- Setup Admin user to be the same network user of the host

- Allow the Admin user to remote admin into XP Mode

- Download Chrome Browser 49 (for XP) to be able to download IE 7 since IE 6 didn't work at all

- Used IE 7 to initiate XP Updates until it reached XP SP3 and installed IE 8

- Turn on automatic updates for XP and keep the machine running for 48 hours to install all updates, and monitor to restart if required

- Used Chrome browser to download all other fixes / updates needed that IE 8 was unable to download

- Contact MS Support, and told me that IE 8 doesn't work properly under Windows XP

Now, XP mode is working fine, but the following issues:

- Cannot browse certain Microsoft websites from IE 8. I did everything you can imagine and can cannot image to solve this problem, but no luck!!!

- Windows XP Help and Support option cannot connect to the Internet

But, thanks to Chrome, it works like a charm!

Tarek

• נערך על-ידי tarekahf2 יום שישי 06 יולי 2018 15:51
    יום שישי 06 יולי 2018 15:50
  • The above solution is obsolete for 32-bit XP Mode guests/client since the 32-bit version of Chrome is no longer available.

It took me a week to make this network driver solution work for the old 32-bit PC game machine that I am building on an old 64-bit DELL that I rebuilt as a game machine.  It runs Windows 8.1.

If you have gotten this far you will see that a network adapter has been added to your device manager.

Your IE 6 browser probably displays page errors and the IE/tools/"Diagnose Connection Problems" indicates that HTTP, HTTPS and FTP sevices are failing. This is B.S. Do not alter your Firewall settings.  The IE6 browser is obsolete for operation with the modern Internet.  

Solution:

Under Network Connections there should be a "Gateways" icon for "Internet Connection".  If not, add one with "Network Connections"/"Create a New Connection"/"Connect to the Internet".  There should also be a "Local Area Connection - Connected/Firewalled" icon under the "LAN or High-Speed Internet" heading.

If the "Gateways" Internet icon reads "Connected" then the Internet is there and is waiting for a decent browser.  

As of April 2019 the only 32-bit browser that runs under XP is Internet Explorer 7 (and maybe 7 and up).  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=32072

Chrome, Firefox, Opera have all discontinued 32-bit support.

The XP Mode virtual version installs with IE 6 and it will not display anything but Bing.  If you activate the task-bar notification icon for Network in the network adaptor settings, it will say "Connected" but not "Connected /Internet".  That is just XP - it  will never tell you that you are Internet connected - but your are.

Assure that the XP Mode firewall is "ON".  

Download IE 7 32-bit (or maybe a later version) onto the host machine.  Use a folder shared with the guest/client to transfer the IE setup package to the client.  Install IE 7 on the host and viola - you have internet on the XP Mode guest!

Other settings are:

Guest (while running)
    1. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)  (NOTE: on XP is not labeled (TCP/IPV4))
      a. Obtain IP address automatically
      b. Obtain DNS address automatically
      c. Activation/updare - Impossible - Microsoft has turned off their XP activation server and update server.

2. Device Manager
      a. driver = Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adaptor (Note: XP virtual does not distinguish between wired and         wireless networks)

Host (client stopped)  (Note: use Oracle VM VirtualBox Version 5.2 or below for 32-bit clients)
    1. XP Mode Network settings
      a. "Attached to" = NAT (or Bridged Adapter)
      b. "Advanced/Adapter Type:" = Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adaptor

יום רביעי 10 אפריל 2019 04:06