none
Windows 7 XPMode Software install

Pertanyaan

• I am running XPMode on Windows 7 for legacy applications. The PC does not have a CD drive. I have OEM software on CD but it will not install from an external USB CD drive. If I copy the whole CD onto desktop of XPMode and try to install from there it still won't install. The self install exe doesn't run and when I go to the Disk1 folder and try and run the Setup.exe file a popup window with the complete path to Setup.exe is listed and reports 'The parameter is incorrect'.

I suspect the path name is too long? The application is an older one for native Windows XP machine.

Thanks for any advice.

Rabu, 09 Januari 2019 19.28

Jawaban

• OK, I created an iso file from the CD and mounted in XPMode. Now it went a little farther but now displays this following message: 'SETUP1 caused a General Protection Fault in module WIN97EM.DLL at 000102C9SETUP1 caused a General Protection Fault in module WIN97EM.DLL at 000102C9'.

Upon investigation on internet I found the following solution to the above message:

1. copy HIDE87.com to windows\system32 directory 

2. add to c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt file FIRST line:

LH C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HIDE87.COM<o:p></o:p>

3. reboot virtual machine

<o:p>After doing this the install worked perfect and so did the app. I then changed back to the original autoexec.nt and the app still works fine.</o:p>

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh W7XPM Kamis, 10 Januari 2019 19.06
    Kamis, 10 Januari 2019 19.06

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

Could you please provide more detail information?

In Windows Event Viewer, navigate to Applications and Service Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Virtual PC->Admin and around the time of failure see if any error/warning is logged.

There is a workaround for you.

Burn CD to a iso file. And amount .iso  file to virtual xp.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Kamis, 10 Januari 2019 02.55
  • What's the application?

Have you tried making an ISO image of the disc?

It's possible that it won't install due to copy protection.  A lot of older CD-ROMs would only install directly off the CD-ROM.  It's also possible that the installation program is seeing the VM as you installing from a copy of the CD, even though you're really not.  The virtualization layer of the Virtual PC makes the installer think it's not a real copy.  Was a fairly common issue in the early days of virtualization.

Kamis, 10 Januari 2019 03.35
  • OK, I created an iso file from the CD and mounted in XPMode. Now it went a little farther but now displays this following message: 'SETUP1 caused a General Protection Fault in module WIN97EM.DLL at 000102C9SETUP1 caused a General Protection Fault in module WIN97EM.DLL at 000102C9'.

Upon investigation on internet I found the following solution to the above message:

1. copy HIDE87.com to windows\system32 directory 

2. add to c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt file FIRST line:

LH C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HIDE87.COM<o:p></o:p>

3. reboot virtual machine

<o:p>After doing this the install worked perfect and so did the app. I then changed back to the original autoexec.nt and the app still works fine.</o:p>

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh W7XPM Kamis, 10 Januari 2019 19.06
    Kamis, 10 Januari 2019 19.06
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Jumat, 11 Januari 2019 02.00