none
System File Checker could not replace some files RRS feed

• Pertanyaan

• I had a long boot time this morning.  Normally it's around 90 seconds from button to logged in on an account.  However this morning it was still trying to get out of bed after 10 minutes, hung on the nice Win7 logo.

Naturally, run a Chkdsk to see if the C: drive is still in one piece, it is.

So, Safe Mode and Sytem File Checker.  Which was sort of happy, but told me it had found several corrupted files, but was unable to repair/replace some of them.

I have kept a copy of the log, and can make that available if needed, probably on Dropbox.

My initial question is, what would prevent SFC from replacing damaged files?  I do have the OEM DVD available, it was never requested.

Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 05.28

Jawaban

• Hi,

In general, we can manually replace a corrupted system file which has been mentioned in SFC(CBS) log with a known good copy of the file. Reference section “How to manually replace a corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file” for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

SFC is integrated with Windows Resource Protection. If any changes are detected to a protected system file, the modified file is restored from a cached copy located in the Windows folder itself. And this is one of possible reason that SFC unable to repair corruption. 

If so, you can try to use DISM to repair system files:
    1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. 

2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:<repair source file location> /LimitAccess

DISM uses a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh gorblimey Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 13.05
    Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 07.07

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

In general, we can manually replace a corrupted system file which has been mentioned in SFC(CBS) log with a known good copy of the file. Reference section “How to manually replace a corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file” for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

SFC is integrated with Windows Resource Protection. If any changes are detected to a protected system file, the modified file is restored from a cached copy located in the Windows folder itself. And this is one of possible reason that SFC unable to repair corruption. 

If so, you can try to use DISM to repair system files:
    1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. 

2. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:<repair source file location> /LimitAccess

DISM uses a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Ditandai sebagai Jawaban oleh gorblimey Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 13.05
    Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 07.07
  • Unfortunately, DISM seems to be a very primitive version. My W7 Home Premium SP1 x64 is Build 7601, an OEM version.  The output from DISM (in an elevated Admin account) is:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:"C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error: 87

The restorehealth option is not recognized in this context.
    For more information, refer to the help.
    The source option is not recognized in this context.
    The limitaccess option is not recognized in this context.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

In addition, DISM could not give me any help on the options:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /Source: /?

Error: 87

The /Source: option is missing a required argument.
    For more information, refer to the help for the /Source: option.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I will mark your reply as an answer because you did point me to a manual method of restoring system files.

However, I wiil also take yet another opportunity to lament the decline of Windows NT from the height of usefulness in Windows 2000 Pro, which would automatically replace damaged system files from its extensive cache.

• Diedit oleh gorblimey Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 13.04
    Jumat, 09 Agustus 2019 13.02
  • Hi,

Please reference below article to specify the source file location:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Rabu, 14 Agustus 2019 08.54
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Rabu, 21 Agustus 2019 02.12