none
USB Problem: RCA Lyra RD900W RRS feed

• Domanda

• I have Vista ultimate loaded and running well, except one problem.  My wireless USB Lyra (wireless USB sound card) is not starting.  I get the Error 10 Device cannot start.  I assume this is a driver issue, however I cannot find a driver anywhere for this device as it is jsut a simple USB connection.  My onboard sound works fine, however I have to use the wireless Lyra instead.  Is there anything I can do to troublshoot this and to get it working? 

Rick

domenica 31 dicembre 2006 17:03

Risposte

• Need to get your Lyra Wireless working on Vista or Windows 7?

Search for the text "OK folks" within this thread to find the post containing the solution.

(The wrong post was voted as the solution.  I keep trying to link to the right post from here, but Microsoft keeps changing the forum software and breaking it.)

• Modificato cc213t martedì 20 luglio 2010 16:12
    venerdì 5 gennaio 2007 23:23

Tutte le risposte

• Ok, let's try this another way...

How do I troubleshoot the USB protion of this problem.  Is there a way to troubleshoot the USB problem.  So far everywhere I have looked there is no "driver" for this device.  This is my only problem with Vista right now....

Can anybody help?

martedì 2 gennaio 2007 21:48

• rickz96, I observed the same problem with the RCA Lyra Wireless RD900W on Vista.  This peripheral presents itself as a USB composite device that contains a USB Audio device and an HID (human input device).   When hotplugged for the first time into a Vista machine, Vista recognizes and successfully identifies all three devices, but only the composite device and HID are successfully configured (as reported by the pop-up in the lower right of the taskbar).  The USB Audio device fails to be configured even though the generic, stock usbaudio.sys driver is correctly associated with it by Windows (just as it is on XP, 2000, ME and 98).

Here are the relevant messages when adding this USB device from Vista's event log:
    • Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service usbaudio for Device Instance ID USB\VID_069B&PID_3008&MI_00\6&2C4EC18C&0&0000 with the following status: 0.
    • Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\usb.inf_c89fac9c\usb.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_069B&PID_3008\5&157EE025&0&2 with the following status: 0.
    • The start type of the Microsoft USB Generic Parent Driver service was changed from disabled to demand start.
    • Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de\wdma_usb.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_069B&PID_3008&MI_00\6&2C4EC18C&0&0000 with the following status: 0.
    • Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service HidUsb for Device Instance ID USB\VID_069B&PID_3008&MI_02\6&2C4EC18C&0&0002 with the following status: 0.
    • Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\input.inf_53578522\input.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_069B&PID_3008&MI_02\6&2C4EC18C&0&0002 with the following status: 0.
    • Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\input.inf_53578522\input.inf for Device Instance ID HID\VID_069B&PID_3008&MI_02\7&25B1F25B&0&0000 with the following status: 0.
    My guess is that the RD900W does not comply with some new DRM requirement for USB Audio devices and so is rejected by usbaudio.sys.   It is quite unfortunate, since the Lyra Wireless is a great product, introduced only a few years ago (around 2002?), and it works fine with Windows all the way back to 98SE.  It was recently discontinued by RCA, and I wonder if Vista compatibility was a factor in this decision.

Something worth trying would be to copy the usbaudio.sys driver from XP over to Vista and see if that solves the problem, though I'll bet MS has taken steps to ensure that it's not that easy to workaround any new DRM requirement.

venerdì 5 gennaio 2007 22:29
  • Need to get your Lyra Wireless working on Vista or Windows 7?

Search for the text "OK folks" within this thread to find the post containing the solution.

(The wrong post was voted as the solution.  I keep trying to link to the right post from here, but Microsoft keeps changing the forum software and breaking it.)

• Modificato cc213t martedì 20 luglio 2010 16:12
    venerdì 5 gennaio 2007 23:23
  • Thanks so much cc213t....that resolution is the same thing I was tyring to do while waiting for a reply.  I cannot seem to write to that directory...  I pulled the file from xp pro and even tried to copy the file under safe mode, etc...I cannot seem to write to that directory.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, again -Rick

domenica 7 gennaio 2007 19:53
  • Hey cc213t....I got tired of working around vista's crud and just took ownership of the file and replaced it. 

Thanks again that worked wonderfully!  I now have sound.

-Rick

domenica 7 gennaio 2007 20:49
  • Glad it worked!   I too had problems overwriting the driver file.  My solution was to copy XP's usbaudio.sys file to c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbaudio2.sys and then edit the registry for the usbaudio service (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbaudio\ImagePath), making it point to this new driver file instead.   I found it isn't even necessary to reboot Vista to get this to work, just hotplugging the RD900W out and back in is enough to cause the new driver to be loaded.

lunedì 8 gennaio 2007 17:59
  • I am having the same problem, but don't understand how to change the registry for the audio device?
    sabato 3 febbraio 2007 17:18
  • Hit the windows button then type regedit.  This will bring up the registry.  Navigate to the key as specified above.  Then change the path to point to the XP driver.  If you have named the file like above usbaudio2.sys then all you have to do is add the '2' in the file name.  Hope this makes sense.  If not post and I will help you.  You could always do what I did and just take owbership of the file to overwrite it!

Let me know how you make out

-Rick

sabato 3 febbraio 2007 19:21
  • Well, I just copied the file from XP (tried both straight copying and renaming along with the registry edit), but I still cannot get it to install properly in Vista.

Just says failed when it goes through the driver installation.

This is really frustrating because I just bought the Lyra about a month ago and loved it... until I got Vista.

sabato 3 febbraio 2007 19:50
  • Ok, where did you copy the file to in Vista? 

It should go under %system drive%\ windows\system32\drivers

I initially had a problem copying to that directory without renaming the file.  So what I did was take ownership of the original vista usbaudio.sys driver so that I could overwrite it.  So that is one option.

Option 2 is to rename the file to usbaudio2.sys and copy it to the path as specified above, then go into the registry and point to the new file named usbaudio2.sys.

Give me more specifics as to how you are copying and if you are getting any errors when copying.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what/when the problem is occuring.

-Rick

sabato 3 febbraio 2007 20:35
  • OK. I copied the file to the correct directory - changing it to usbaudio2.sys. I then went to the registry under

/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usbaudio and changed the path to go to the usbaudio2.sys

However, what's interesting is that the registry automatically reverts to to the usbaudio.sys - after I try to install it (it stays usbaudio2.sys until I try to reinstall the Lyra Wireless).

This is frustrating.

sabato 3 febbraio 2007 20:54
  • I got it working. thanx for the help!
    sabato 3 febbraio 2007 21:04
  • no problem Steve!  Have fun.

-Rick

sabato 3 febbraio 2007 21:06
  • Ok, lets do it the way I did.  Take ownership of the current usbaudio.sys file in the driver directory, then just overwrite the original vista driver.

I'm assuming your running either a store bought copy of vista or a RTM version.  I would also assume that if you are running the home version of vista you may need to boot the OS in safe mode to get the security tab in order to change NTFS permissions.  Are you familiar with doing this?  Let me know and I will walk you through it if needed.

I just realized that there are two people that was posting!  :-)  been a long day already!

sabato 3 febbraio 2007 21:08
  • anyone know what file i should be looking for if i have an rca lyra 2780?
    mercoledì 14 febbraio 2007 18:29
  • You will probably want to start a new thread for that.  The RD900W is quite simply an external audio device whereas the 2780 is a completely different animal.

-Rick

giovedì 15 febbraio 2007 00:54
  • FYI,

I had the same problem, in that any successful registry or file change, would result in Windows File Protection overwriting the file when the device was reinstalled! Argh!

After some frustrating moments, the solution that worked for me was to reboot into Vista safe mode (F8 on startup), own & change permissions on the usbaudio.sys file, and then replace it with the XP one.

Upon normal reboot into Vista, once the device was re-plugged in, it was detected and worked. Thanks for the pointers in the forum folks.

At least Musicmatch 10 mostly works on Vista, although parts don't, and the app is marked incompatible.

Now, if RCA can add official Vista support, and support for other players (or at least Yahoo! Music Jukebox - which seems to have replaced Musicmatch Jukebox), that would be just dandy.

Ivan
    giovedì 15 febbraio 2007 19:16
  • Microsoft has set up a knowledge base article and hotfix for Vista (KB933262) at  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933262 to track problems with USB audio devices.  This KB article is not specific to the RCA Lyra RD900W but seems to cover our problem.

I obtained the hotfix through another site and found that it does NOT fix the problem with the Lyra Wireless, at least for the version of usbaudio.sys included in the hotfix as of mid-March 2007 (usbaudio.sys version ending in .20550).

I have quite a few RD900Ws and would be willing to provide one to Microsoft for debugging if they contact me by email. Or I'd be glad to run any local tests that would gather the information they need about the device.

martedì 3 aprile 2007 15:56
  • Here's a more robust way of swapping in the XP usbaudio.sys driver, lifted from the support page of another peripheral manufacturer whose product failed to work on Vista:

1) Obtain the usbaudio.sys file from a Windows XP machine (in c:\windows\system32\drivers)
    2) On the Vista machine, click Start, type cmd in the search box and press Ctrl, Shift & Enter so you get a "root" command shell window
    3) Type cd \windows\system32\drivers and press Enter
    4) Type takeown /f USBAUDIO.sys and press Enter
    5) Type cacls USBAUDIO.sys /G "Your Username":f, press Enter, and Y when asked. (Note the quotes around username)
    6) Type del USBAUDIO.sys, press enter
    7) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers
    8) Type cd c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de, press Enter
    9) Type takeown /f USBAUDIO.sys, press Enter
    10) Type cacls USBAUDIO.sys /G "Your Username":f, press Enter, and Y when asked. (Note the quotes around username)
    11) Type del USBAUDIO.sys, press Enter
    12) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de
    13) Connect the USB audio device that was failing - it should now work

mercoledì 4 aprile 2007 07:10
  • I've tried several times copying the XP usb audio and have not gotten it(also took ownership of Vista one and deleted it and first tried the regedit redirect but it kept reverting) yet now my problem is I've tried though all of my 6 usb connections so now when I unplug and plug back in I get nothing. Any help would be great, I use this to get songs in my baby's room.
    giovedì 12 aprile 2007 00:39
  • Hey I did the rename and changed my registry and it works perfectly! Thanks a lot for the help!!!!!
    lunedì 16 aprile 2007 18:31
  • Bump! Any help?
    venerdì 4 maggio 2007 13:42
  • hi  ....  if someone have time please help  me..  i just got new vista and  i got a problem........i'm very bad on computer.   only one thing that i'm done is copy usbaudio.sys from XP and then i don't know where to go....????? please tell me step by step how to get this thing work again....thank you

martedì 15 maggio 2007 18:11
  • As stated from above.

1) Obtain the usbaudio.sys file from a Windows XP machine (in c:\windows\system32\drivers)
    2) On the Vista machine, click Start, type cmd in the search box and press Ctrl, Shift & Enter so you get a "root" command shell window
    5) Type cacls USBAUDIO.sys /G "Your Username":f, press Enter, and Y when asked. (Note the quotes around username)
    7) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers
    8) Type cd c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de, press Enter
    10) Type cacls USBAUDIO.sys /G "Your Username":f, press Enter, and Y when asked. (Note the quotes around username)
    12) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de
    13) Connect the USB audio device that was failing - it should now work

-Rick
    mercoledì 16 maggio 2007 14:19
  • I followed these instructions to the letter, all was fine until step 12.  I do not have (as aministrator) permission to copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de.

So now I do not know what problems I might have by no usbaudio.sys file in that drectory
    sabato 19 maggio 2007 21:23
  • OK, I managed to change permissions on the folder and get the XP version usbuadio.sys in the two directories and the Lyra appears in the list of audio devices now.  However, I cannot set the Lyra Wireless as the default audio playback device.  It does work, I can test the speakers to a stereo system, but I cannot tell Vista to use the Lyra, everything goes out of the Realtek Hi Def audio, which I access from the headphone jacks on the PC. 

I have accessed control panel, manage audio devices to set the Lyra as defualt playback, that change appears to stick but the audio continues nonetheless to go out on the headphone jack Realtek audio speakers.

Any ideas?
    sabato 19 maggio 2007 22:13
  • Disable the Realtek in device manager.  When you want to use your headphones, turn it back on.

-Rick

lunedì 21 maggio 2007 13:17
  • First, Rick, thank you for giving me music back.  It's thanks to you that I write this listening to the Casals String Quartet playing Beethoven's third quartet on XM Radio.  Music outside of the laptop-stereo-speakers continuum is considerably inconvenient.

I had made a note to thank you--since at present the optimization of my quality of life requires a functioning via-Vista Lyra Wireless transmitter--but then something zapped my 250-gig music drive (still unrestored) and when I put Driver Detective on the case I do believe DD dutifully over-rode the usbaudio.sys file we Lyra Wireless lovers insist on.

So I needed once again to follow your robust instructions.

Which, as I've said, worked.

I am hoping the following observations will prove helpful to my fellow excludees:

* as to user name: what I read was "[Computer Name]\TSS"  However, when the time came to enter user name, "TSS" was all that was required.

* After executing step 9, take ownership of usbaudio.sys in the God-knows-the-point-of directory c:\windows\system32\driverstore [Note: not case-sensitive]\filerepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de, I received the response "Success."

Step 10, "cacls" etc. resulted in "Processed."

*BUT--Step 11, "del usbaudio.sys" resulted in . . . no response at all.

*Then Step 12, copy the XP usbaudio.sys to this 9ce240de directory, resulted in: "Access is denied. 0 file(s) copied.

** I then thought, well, perhaps I should take ownership once more, and retyped Step 9.  This resulted in "System cannot find the file(s) specified."

*** Despite these error messages, I got audio.

No reply necessary, but if one is, Google me for correct email.

Thanks so much again, Rick.

Terrill Soules

giovedì 7 giugno 2007 21:06
  • The instructions didn't work for me after step 11 and it looks like they will not work for a lot of people.  The problem is that you don't have permission to write files to the wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de directory.  I *think* the consequence of not having the file there is that if Windows ever needs to load the file again (say, because it thinks it needs to reinstall the RD900W), it either won't install (because there is no file repository version of USBAUDIO.sys), or maybe Vista can locate the file somewhere else and copy the version that doesn't work, thereby breaking your audio again.

To fix this, between steps 11 and 12 I went back to Windows and added myself as someone who has permission to write to the wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de directory.  Vista complained and gave me a couple of errors and told me it wouldn't complete the request, but then it completed the request anyway.  Once I had write permission for the directory, I went back to the DOS prompt and copied the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to the directory and it worked fine.

By the way, I noticed that the original USBAUDIO.sys was capitalized just that way.  To make sure the file retained the same capitalization, when I copied the file in DOS I put USBAUDIO.sys in quotation marks (i.e., copy c:\usbaudio.sys "USBAUDIO.sys").

So, I think a better version of the instructions would be as follows:

1) Obtain the usbaudio.sys file from a Windows XP machine (in c:\windows\system32\drivers -- if it's not there, do a Windows search for it and you probably will find it in a CAB file) and copy it to c:\ on the Vista machine
    7) Copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers (i.e., at the DOS prompt type copy c:\usbaudio.sys "USBAUDIO.sys" -- assuming you are in the c:
    \windows\system32\drivers directory)
    12) Go to Vista, find the
    c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de directory, right click on it, select Properties, click on the Security tab, add yourself as a user with WRITE permission for the directory, click Apply, or OK, or Accept -- you may get a warning or a message telling you the change won't work, just ignore it and click OK)
    13) Go back to the DOS prompt and copy the XP version of USBAUDIO.sys to c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de (i.e., at the DOS prompt type copy c:\usbaudio.sys "USBAUDIO.sys" -- assuming you are in the c:\windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de directory)
    14) Connect the USB audio device that was failing - it should now work
    lunedì 16 luglio 2007 23:58
  •  

Thanks a lot, people who have contributed to this thread. I had the same problem with a completely different usb audio card (made by Trust) and was lucky to have no problems copying the usbaudio.sys from an xp machine to usbaudio2.sys and using the registry redirection. Worked straight away. Cheers.
    sabato 28 luglio 2007 17:29

• I wrote a little "setup.exe"-style installer to automate the process of replacing the USBAUDIO.sys driver with the XP version.  This wraps up all the messy steps covered in this thread into a few mouse clicks.  Seems to work fine on all the Vista machines I've tried it on.

Here's the file if you'd like to give it a try.  Please report back on whether it works or not in your case.

Note: this is no longer the best solution.
    A much better fix is discussed starting at page 5 of this thread.

venerdì 10 agosto 2007 21:55
  • I have the RCA RD900W and just got a vista machine. It was not working. I found this post and cc213t your exe worked great.

It did require a restart and a disconnect. Thank you, good work.

DC

lunedì 20 agosto 2007 20:22
  • Hi--

I tried your program and it worked great on the second try.  (I am new to Vista but I am getting a lot of error messages on the first try through things).

I really appreciate your taking the time to share this. 

martedì 28 agosto 2007 00:27
  • I've had a report that Vista may revert to the original, broken driver after a Windows Update cycle.   I'm not sure there's anything we can do to prevent this, but maybe the embedded version info resource of the old XP driver could be tweaked to always look newer than the version coming in from the mothership.  I'll give that a try...  Sure hope Microsoft fixes the USBAUDIO driver for Vista SP1 so that we can quit bothering with this nonsense.

martedì 28 agosto 2007 15:55
  • Thanks a million.  Your fix was flawless.  More important, it was extremely simple for a non tech like me.  Thanks!

mercoledì 3 ottobre 2007 00:04
  • Good evening!  Brand-new Vista user here with the same problem a number of others have reported.  I've been using the Lyra wireless RD900WB for about 3 years and really depend on it to beam tunes all over the house - I have 4 receivers and have always been happy with it.  And now... 

Well, it only took me a few seconds to find this thread but i have a wrinkle that no one else has mentioned yet:  I never used XP.  I am only now trading up to Vista from a crappy old machine running Millenium Edition that I've had since 2000 (?).  I know, I know....  Anyway, I am wondering if your setup.exe file or any of the other methods described will work to make my lyra sing again.  I know just enough about computers to be dangerous (learned a lot just keeping my old ME machine on life support) but I am loathe to start hacking away at a brand new machine that has not yet gained any bad habits.

Help!?!
    venerdì 12 ottobre 2007 02:25
  • Well, I woke up this morning still very annoyed by this problem - and realizing that my question ablove made NO sense - so I just went ahead and downloaded your setup.exe file - and it worked!! You rule!  Thanks!
    venerdì 12 ottobre 2007 12:39
  • Hi all,

I am having a similar problem with my USB "Bose Companion 5" speakers. Vista Business does not find the driver software. It start looking it up and then it says Bose USB Audio but then it asks for me to find the driver software. Do you think this solution will work for any USB Speakers or just for the Lyra? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

martedì 23 ottobre 2007 19:17
  • Last week I donated a new-in-box Lyra RD900W to Microsoft, and their USB audio driver development team actually agreed to look at the Vista compatibility problem for us!   I'll follow up when I have more details, or perhaps they might post here as well (I sent them the link to this thread).

lunedì 29 ottobre 2007 21:11
  • Hey, that's great news - I hope they can work out the issues.

The RCA team certainly doesn't seem to care about updating. They don't seem to have updated their page - http://support.rcaaudiovideo.com/downloads.aspx?product=96, or Jukebox integration (which doesn't work with Vista) for a long time now.

Ivan

lunedì 29 ottobre 2007 21:42
  • OK, I heard back from Microsoft.  The reason the Lyra RD900W fails on Vista is because this RCA product has at least one serious bug in its USB audio implementation.  In a nutshell:  At startup, the RD900W provides to Windows a list of capabilities, such as "I have a volume control" or "I have a mute function".  It turns out that something is wrong with how the RD900W implements its mute function.  In the capabilities list, it's telling Windows that it does have a mute function, but when Vista asks "OK then, what's the current value of your mute?", the RD900W does not respond to the request, so Vista considers the device broken and aborts starting the driver.  The problem is not Microsoft's fault but rather the result of a bug in the RD900W firmware.

In fact, the RD900W should never have worked on any version of Windows.  It only happened to work because Microsoft had a bug in their USB audio driver in versions prior to Vista's.  That bug prevented the mute failure from being propagated back up properly, and so the failure was accidentally ignored by Windows.  The two bugs kind of cancelled each other out!

The mute failure may not be the only problem with the RD900W.  There could be similar problems in its USB implementation that also went undetected in previous versions of Windows.

Since the RD900W's buggy firmware is to blame, Microsoft won't be doing anything further to fix this problem on Vista.  (In fact, it was quite gracious of them to troubleshoot this as far as they did.)

The proper way to fix this would be to get RCA to issue a firmware update for the RD900W transmitter that fixes the bug(s) in the USB implementation.  But that seems pretty unlikely, and I'm not sure the firmware is even field-upgradeable.

The solution Microsoft recommends to work around the problem is to write a USB filter driver that intercepts certain communication at the USB level between USBAUDIO.SYS and the RD900W and fixes up any invalid responses so that Windows thinks the RD900W responded correctly even though it didn't.

Writing this driver should really be RCA/Thomson's responsibility, but I'm guessing the likelihood of getting them to look at this is pretty remote.  I'll see if I can stir up any interest on their side but will probably look at implementing the filter driver fix myself in the coming weeks.  ("If you want it done right...")

In the meantime, my setup.exe installer that swaps in the XP driver (described earlier in this thread) can be used as a temporary fix.

sabato 3 novembre 2007 14:57
  •  

Wow - that's a lot of legwork you've done.  Thanks!

I was never able to get the remote that was included with the system to work on the Lyra, although it is a pretty decent universal remote for other uses.  Weird

At this point, I've got mine working thanks to the .exe someone (you?) linked to above and that's good enough for me until I can afford a Sonos system or somthing of that nature.

sabato 3 novembre 2007 17:32
  • I've done a little more research on  this.

The RD900W transmitter unit is based on a Texas Instruments TAS1020B USB Audio Processor.  This chip pretty much implements an entire USB Audio device all by itself from a host connection standpoint.  It contains an 8052 microcontroller core that includes some boilerplate ROM code to implement a good deal of what's needed for a USB Audio class device, but OEMs also add their own 8052 code to customize things for their specific application.  The TAS1020B is very popular and has been used in many other USB Audio consumer products (USB audio interfaces, USB speakers, USB headsets etc.)

TI conveniently supplies the sources for the the boilerplate ROM code on their website, along with a sample application that uses it.  The sample application TI provides (which probably many OEMs would base their firmware on) appears to fail to handle certain legal USB Audio requests (GET MUTE, GET VOL, GET BASS, GET TREBLE) which do not specify a specific channel but instead request a master value covering "all" channels.

I am checking now whether Vista requests only the master forms before giving up.

So in summary, it looks likely that the TAS1020B example code is flawed and that any product based on it would fail to work in Vista, at least with the current version of the Vista USBAUDIO.SYS.

So if you're reading this thread about some USB audio device other than the RD900W that does not work in Vista, please open it up and see if has a tiny square chip marked TAS1020B inside.

The quickest solution still appears to be to write a USB filter driver that makes Windows think the device has responded properly even when it does not.

More details as they emerge...

domenica 11 novembre 2007 11:02
  • I just have to say a huge thank you. I just updated my vista machine and now i can't get it to work. I was on this thread a few weeks ago before the .EXE was posted and fixed it manually. Now I'll try the .EXE.

In all my years watching forums and looking for fixes I've never seen anyone go through the effort you are. How do you even contact their development team, let alone mail them a unit. And now you're thinking of cleaning up someone else's mess. I think we should all send you a gift card or something. Lyra Wireless is the coolest thing to me. $30 for wireless music in my family room, kitchen, garage, etc. And now that I'm on vista, NOTHING. Obviously RCA dropped the ball, but I'll blame that on their marketing team because if the word got out any better, they'd make a killing. Who wouldn't want this as opposed to $1000 for SONOS or whatever it costs.

Anyway, please do keep us up to date. I'm so looking forward to your fix. 

giovedì 29 novembre 2007 02:26
  • Thank you so much - you saved my Christmas party by making this setup. I ran upstairs, turned on my lyra, and realized I had yet another Vista nightmare on my hands. This is the third peripheral I have that worked fine in XP, is broken in Vista.  I was able to run your setup, and play my music downstairs as I used to be able to. No thanks to Micro~1!
    domenica 16 dicembre 2007 04:42

• Thank you for all your help and effort, now my LYRA works.
    lunedì 24 dicembre 2007 21:27
  •  cc213t wrote:

I wrote a little "setup.exe"-style installer to automate the process of replacing the USBAUDIO.sys driver with the XP version.  This wraps up all the messy steps covered in this thread into a few mouse clicks.  Seems to work fine on all the Vista machines I've tried it on.

Here's the file if you'd like to give it a try.  Please report back on whether it works or not in your case.

Thank you so much cc213t. I finally have my Lyra working!  However, I had to run your .exe file in SAFE MODE. In regular NORMAL mode, running as Administrator (right-click Run as Administrator), the program would stop with an error because it was unable to access the Windows drive repository folder. So I rebooted in safe-mode, ran it as Administrator and SUCCESS.

Once again, thank you!!!

Jorge

martedì 5 febbraio 2008 14:30
  • Lyra now works for me on Vista Ultimate.  Youda man.

Thank you for the fix.

domenica 9 marzo 2008 18:35
  •  dmahlin wrote:
    Well, I woke up this morning still very annoyed by this problem - and realizing that my question ablove made NO sense - so I just went ahead and downloaded your setup.exe file - and it worked!! You rule!  Thanks!

Hello - As you can see from my note above, I've been using my Lyra with the help of you installer for a few months now, but today something weird happened.  I was re-arranging my office and had my PC down and disconnected for a few hours.  When I re-connected everything and booted up my system, Vista told me that it could not locate the driver for my device, etc., etc.  I jumped through all the hoops up to and including re-installaing your setup file.  But Vista isn't buying.  It's as if I had just hooked it up for the first time today and re-running the setup.exe is having no effect.  Any suggestions?
    lunedì 10 marzo 2008 00:38
  •  dmahlin wrote:
     dmahlin wrote:
    Well, I woke up this morning still very annoyed by this problem - and realizing that my question ablove made NO sense - so I just went ahead and downloaded your setup.exe file - and it worked!! You rule!  Thanks!

Hello - As you can see from my note above, I've been using my Lyra with the help of you installer for a few months now, but today something weird happened.  I was re-arranging my office and had my PC down and disconnected for a few hours.  When I re-connected everything and booted up my system, Vista told me that it could not locate the driver for my device, etc., etc.  I jumped through all the hoops up to and including re-installaing your setup file.  But Vista isn't buying.  It's as if I had just hooked it up for the first time today and re-running the setup.exe is having no effect.  Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I had similar results with the Lyra and Vista. The proposed workaround solution was not long lasting. I had to stop using the Lyra altogether -- :-(

lunedì 10 marzo 2008 00:44

• Sorry about the trouble.  It's annoying how OSes these days are so dynamic and change their configuration of their own accord assuming they always know what's best for the user.   Back in the DOS days, there was one copy of each file on disk and once you put it there, it stayed there!   With Windows Update, automatic updates, restore points etc. nothing is certain.

There are two solutions we can try to get the Lyra Wireless working reliably on Vista:
    1. Write a KMDF USB filter driver to intercept the USB communication between the RD900W and USBAUDIO.SYS.  The filter driver would trick USBAUDIO.SYS into thinking the device responded to the volume status requests in an acceptable fashion.   Since this USB filter driver would be a NEW driver added to the system, there is less risk of it getting wiped out by Windows Update etc.  But it could still get removed by using system restore points.

2. Modify the firmware onboard the RD900W transmitter to respond to volume request messages as Vista prefers.  This would be moderately challenging, though not impossible.  As there does not appear to be a way to update the transmitter firmware through software alone, anyone who wants the update would have to open the RD900W transmitter and program the flash chip through an I2C interface.   This is probably more work than 99% of people reading this would care to bother with.
    Clearly, the USB filter driver approach is the way to go.  I'll see if I can find time to work on one in the next few weeks.  If anyone reading this knows what I'm talking about and wants to take a stab at it in the meantime, please get in touch and I'll help round up the technical details you would need.

lunedì 10 marzo 2008 16:40
  • Wow, thanks so much for the fix, this has took me days now to fix, I had to run your patch a couple of times but eventually it was fine.
    Thanks again.
    domenica 23 marzo 2008 23:53
  • This worked perfect.  I had to restart the system in safe mode to run it though because I got file access errors if not.  After I did that though, I plugged the Lyra back in and it worked great.  Thanks a ton for making my transition easier and thanks a ton for helping the community out!

martedì 1 aprile 2008 02:26
  • Thanks for the program. It works. The problem is: I can only use the usb port that I originally used when I installed the program (which happens to be a front pannel usb). When I use the back pannel usb port, the program still installs correctly but it does not affect the port the usb is plugged into and the driver is still missing in the device manager. Now I am stuck with having to plug my lyra into the front pannel... Any solution to that?

sabato 26 aprile 2008 22:30
  • lulu2009 I've had the same problem.  I've tried a variety of things to cure it but nothing has worked.  As long as the Lyra is plugged into the USB port it was first installed on it works otherwise nada.  I'm more than willing to live with it as long as the Lyra works. 

Thanks for the fix Mark.

martedì 13 maggio 2008 23:18
  • hello

i have an usb to midi interface wich uses, on xp, the usbaudio fil.

i tried to replace it manual and with the exe and i installed the hotfix.
    manaul i have no results
    with the exe, even in safe mode, i get the administrator privilege message....
    the hotfix didn't do anything too...

do i have to replace more files or is it only the usbaudio that gives the problem

John
    domenica 18 maggio 2008 18:53
  • It's unlikely that a MIDI interface would be affected by the issues described in this thread, which seem to revolve around a particular TI USB audio interface chip and its defective reference code; this chip would not be used by a MIDI interface unless you're talking about a multifunction device that includes digital audio in/out as well.  You've tried contacting the manufacturer already?

martedì 20 maggio 2008 13:41

• I wont lie to you guys i was so excited about this fix that i ran upstairs to try it i got so far as to get rid of the dreadful error about the device not starting properly but now i'm stuck with a new opponent error code 48 it seems that windows is now the only thing blocking me from music =( please save me

properties under device manager tell me

The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

mercoledì 21 maggio 2008 22:00
  • After several try's, I was able to get your program to install.  I did not have the Lyra software installed at the time.  Wasn't sure if I needed it or not.  When I installed the Lyra software, I got an error message that it was not installed properly.

I uninstalled the software, unplugged the Lyra transmitter from the USB port - then plugged it back in.  My computer recognized the hardware and said it installed the Lyra software successfully.  Even after a reboot, my system does not show the Lyra as a sound source with or without the Lyra software installed.

Does the Lyra software need to be installed even with your work-around?  Vista has caused many of my toys to not work properly, so I am very frustrated.  Any help or advise you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

domenica 25 maggio 2008 05:25
  • I've been down this road a few times - see that I've posted here more than once, the last time because I had switched USB ports and the PC suddenly didn't recognnized the Lyra.  Anyway, no, I don't think you need the Lyra software installed.  All it does is (allegedly) support the remote control.  Never worked for me, not even once, so I uninstalled it.  It is a pretty good universal remote, however - I still use it for an older TV for which the original remote was lost.
    domenica 25 maggio 2008 12:52
  • you beauty!

wasted hours this week looking for a fix to this unexpected issue

reinstalled all drivers - no good

several system restores - no good

eventually found a link to the MS hotfix - but my "personal hotfix" didn't work as it was not for version of the O/S or similar

was getting serioulsy fed up

found this utility - IT WORKS!!!!!

many many many thanks - you really shouldn't have to bother for something like this but I am so glad that you did

venerdì 6 giugno 2008 15:21
  • I made the mistake of not doing my research and migrating to Vista. Having had to use it as my operating system now for four months, here's my clear, concise, articulate opinion of Vista: two words: IT SUCKS! I want my XP back!

With that said, and having reviewed all the entries in this RCA Lyra/Vista non-compatiblity issue thread, bottom line is there a reasonably simple fix or a workaround solution that the layperson can actually use?

Any sage advice would be welcome.

giovedì 12 giugno 2008 19:33
  • Good news:  I am putting the finishing touches on a "real" fix to this problem, a USB filter driver that will fix up the broken feature unit descriptor reported by the RD900W.  This will allow the Lyra Wireless to work properly with the Vista version of USBAUDIO.SYS... no more hack of copying the XP version.

For the developers among you, trial versions of Perisoft's BusHound and HHD's USB Monitor Pro were very helpful in troubleshooting this problem.  And OSR (always an excellent resource) has on their site a KMDF filter driver providing a solid example of just how easy it is to write a filter driver using WDF... so much easier than bare WDM.

Stay tuned...

venerdì 20 giugno 2008 21:46
  • It seems that the patch to change the USBAUDIO.sys to doesn't work anymore with Vista ServicePack1. I was waiting to install the service pack 1 till this month and guess what .: as soons as I finished to install it my (Lyra Wireless 2.0.0) wasn't working anymore with Vista. The I tried to re-install the vista_usb_audio_driver_fix_v1.0_setup.exe and guess what again, beautifull Vista has blocked the access to the following directory and files.:

"C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de\"
    "C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_9ce240de\USBAUDIO.sys"
    "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\"
    "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\USBAUDIO.sys"

Even if I'm giving to myself all authorization and so on on regular and safe mode I'm not able to change files and do the installation properly. Because Vista stating that there is an error when changing authorization over those files and directory.

Now it's seems that the only good and lasting solution is to write this filter that you cc213t are presently doing. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge on programming and all that stuff so I won't be of any help on this matter. But I'ill say thank you for all what you are doing for us.

Can't wait to get the filter.
    domenica 29 giugno 2008 12:10
  • My filter driver currently works fine on XP, but I'm currently dealing with some weird behavior on Vista in which Microsoft's KMDF co-installer requires a reboot mid-installation- which is awkward enough- yet further complicated when Vista complains that the co-installer itself is preventing Windows from being able to shut down for the reboot.

In parallel with researching this problem, I've managed to patch the firmware inside the RD900W transmitter so that it sends correct feature unit descriptors.   This would eliminate the need for the filter driver by simply making the device perform as Vista (or any other OS) would expect.   Inside the RD900W, there is a 2-line serial EEPROM that can be updated in place using I2C, which requires opening the unit and attaching an I2C interface to the EEPROM (which is conveniently an 8-pin DIP package).  In theory, we should be able to rewrite the firmware WITHOUT opening the transmitter using USB's DFU 1.0, if it is enabled on the RD900W.

martedì 8 luglio 2008 16:51
  • Thanks for your time and effort cc213t - standing by for your solution.

mercoledì 9 luglio 2008 23:08
  • OK folks, here's the real solution (superceding the previous hack of copying the XP version of usbaudio.sys):

RCA RD900W Compatibility Driver v1.3

This filter driver allows the RCA RD900W Lyra Wireless transmitter to work properly on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and possibly later versions of Windows by patching some of the USB audio class-specific descriptors that Windows reads upon first detecting the device.

Before installing the driver, make sure that your Lyra Wireless transmitter is powered off.

Some Windows Vista users may be required to reboot at the end of driver installation (just follow the prompts). No reboot should be necessary on Windows 7 or Windows 8.

This driver supports 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. It should survive the installation of service packs. The only thing that could disable it would be sloppy registry changes by other USB filter drivers you might install, in which case simply reinstalling this driver should fix the problem.

Please note that this driver won't fix any other USB audio devices which are failing - it is specific to the RCA RD900W Lyra Wireless.

Special thanks to Microsoft's DJ S. (maintainer of usbaudio.sys), who provided some very helpful advice.

In addition to providing my own development and reverse-engineering time, I paid $230 to purchase the digital signature necessary to release this driver for 64-bit Windows. If this driver has solved your problem, please consider sending me a few bucks via PayPal to offset my expenses.

[Last updated 07/19/2012 to add support for Windows 8. If you already have a previous version installed and working, there is no need to update, as only the installer changed.]

• Proposto come risposta cc213t martedì 6 gennaio 2009 18:51
    • Modificato cc213t giovedì 19 luglio 2012 22:09
    mercoledì 16 luglio 2008 08:12
  • You're the man!  Thanks for all your effort.  It worked for me.

mercoledì 16 luglio 2008 13:35
  • Wow !!! Thanks it works properly !!! Amazing thank you for all the good job you've done over that problem !!!

mercoledì 16 luglio 2008 21:37
  • Question: My computer OS is Vista Ultimate which by default does not support the Lyra RD900w. If I install the Microsoft Virutal PC and create a Windows XP virtual machine, will the Lyra RD900w work under the Win XP VM?

Thank you in advance

venerdì 18 luglio 2008 16:40
  • Install the fix from a few posts back and the RD900W will just work directly in Vista Ultimate (including volume and mute controls which don't even work on XP).

venerdì 18 luglio 2008 16:51
  • Of course this works for everyone, except me. I'm that guy. I downloaded RD900W Vista Compatibility Driver v1.0

and nothing. What did I do wrong? Before the service pack I copied the USBAUDIO.sys and that worked, now I can't get the Lyra to play. I have the Vista Home Premium, please advise.

sabato 19 luglio 2008 19:47
  • Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers, right-click on usbaudio.sys and pick Properties.  What does it say for File version?
    Also, what does Device Manager say for the status of Lyra Wireless 2.00.0?  (Is it even listed?)

domenica 20 luglio 2008 03:59
  • Did not work for me either.  I ran the program, turned on my Lyra and it began the same old hardware installation procedure ending with a usbaudio.sys failure.  Any suggestions or am I doing something wrong.  I am using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.  I used to have it working with the other fix and now it does not.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lunedì 21 luglio 2008 02:50
  • Hello cc213t,

What can I say but thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had tried everything to make my Lyra system work - including calling RCA directly.  They gave me a tech number and the person I contacted didn't even know what the Lyra was. 

I tried the old fix and it didn't work for me, but I installed your new fix and it worked the first install with no problems.  I am running Vista Home Premium.  I can now pipe music through my entire house, so I am very happy.

Even though it was not your job, I (along with many others, I'm sure) appreciate your time and effort to fix this problem.  You'd think the folks that sell these items would be a little more dedicated to their customers!

Maybe if you posted your Pay Pal account on this forum - many of us would make a donation to you for your efforts!  I doubt you would be able to retire on what you get - but you deserve something for your time and resolve to fix the problem and end the frustration for many of us!

I wish you well and thanks again so much for giving me back my music system!!!!!

Loucille

lunedì 21 luglio 2008 17:38
  • The usbaudio.sys file is not in the c:\windows\system32\drivers

and Lyra wireless is not listed in the device manager
    martedì 22 luglio 2008 00:28
  • I'm not sure what to make of that.  The filter driver I posted doesn't touch usbaudio.sys, and neither does the installer, so that file should still be there from when you had the Lyra working previously.  With the transmitter powered on and connected to a USB port, if you still don't see anything, try running the Find New Hardware wizard in Device Manager.

martedì 22 luglio 2008 16:35
  •  cc213t wrote:
    Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers, right-click on usbaudio.sys and pick Properties.  What does it say for File version?
    Also, what does Device Manager say for the status of Lyra Wireless 2.00.0?  (Is it even listed?)

Since I am having a similar problem.  My file version is 5.1.2600.2180 and the Lyra wireless does show up with a question mark.  When I finish running your fix it says to cycle the power on the LYRA.  I turn it on and the hardware wizard commences.  It then fails with the message "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it"  It then shows a picture of a speaker with "USB Audio Device" next to it.

"The system cannont find the file specified."

Any help would be appreciated.

martedì 22 luglio 2008 23:16
  • When I plug and power the tranmitter I see it in the device manger. It says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" I don't see the Find New Hardware wizard in Device Manager. I have a copy of USBAUDIO.SYS from XP, should I copy that file to c/windows/system32/driver?

mercoledì 23 luglio 2008 02:40
  • The version of usbaudio.sys should be 6.x.x.x.  If the version of usbaudio.sys is 5.x.x.x, it's the XP version, which apparently behaves worse when the filter driver is present.

You can either uninstall the filter driver, which should allow the XP version to work again, or put back the Vista version of usbaudio.sys.  Installing the latest usbaudio.sys via this Microsoft hotfix ought to set things right.   Note that when using the Vista version, you will still need the filter driver for the RD900W to work, since the problem lies in the RD900W, not in usbaudio.sys.

mercoledì 23 luglio 2008 17:05
  • Thanks cc213t it worked, if you are ever in San Diego I'll buy you dinner. I really appreciate you taking time out to help me.

giovedì 24 luglio 2008 00:10
  • Thank you very much cc213t, it works!  I'm glad I googled the Lyra this week.  I had almost given up.

First I had to upgrade my usbaudio.sys to a 6 version, it never worked with the 5 version I installed before I got your program.  I ran your program a second time since I did not see it listed in Add/remove programs.  I did not get it working even then, but after I went to Device Manager and reinstalled the drivers for the lyra it worked.

I've been without my lyra for seven months.  That's when I bought my new laptop.  I used my old computer to play virtual organ music off of an USB keyboard and pump the sound into my stereo.  I see no problems in latency. 

BTW, virtual church organs from all over the world are free from MyOrgan, do a search on the net (it's the sourceforge one, guess somebody pirated his original address).  Each pipe is recorded individualy and sampled when you press the keyboard.  Music keyboard that is.  So far it is all working for me cc213t.  I thank you again.  I would be willing to donate so you could digitally sign. 

venerdì 25 luglio 2008 03:26
  • hey, i got the same problem with my 2780, it simply is not recognized by my vista pc... did you got to solve the problem?

domenica 27 luglio 2008 02:22
  • I read in another forum that to get the Lyra RD2780 to work on Vista (it appears an external USB drive), you must have it plugged into the USB port and powered on while Vista boots up.  Hotplugging is apparently not supported... which makes me suspect that "Safely Remove Hardware" probably doesn't work for this device either.  Sounds like a pain.

This thread is for the RD900W though, and the filter driver fix I posted will not help with any other devices, RCA or otherwise.

domenica 27 luglio 2008 03:25
  • thnx a lot! it solved my problem, i don't really use the 2780 as a media player as much as i use it as a hard drive to back up my files. Now i can restore my computer. Thank you, again.

domenica 27 luglio 2008 04:44
  • cc213t,

All I can say is: "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU." 

Count me among yet another Lyra user who is deeply grateful for the filter driver you wrote. I'm happy to report that 6 months after (regretably) migrating from XP to Vista I'm using my Lyra unit again!!!

I now realize I was really fond of Lyra I was.

For Microsoft: Vista is a poor excuse for an operating system. In my daily dealings I do not recommend it to anyone.

For RCA: Thank goodness for people like cc213t who have the time, energy, intelligence and good nature to make up for your technical shortcomings and keep products like Lyra alive.

Thanks again!
    sabato 2 agosto 2008 05:18
  • I have updated my original post with the filter driver fix with version 1.1, which includes support for 64-bit Windows.  The driver is not digitally signed, so on 64-bit platforms, it is necessary to press F8 during Windows startup and select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.  Fortunately, Microsoft doesn't require digitally signed drivers on 32-bit Windows (yet).

mercoledì 20 agosto 2008 02:05
  • Hello everybody.

I found this thread while "googling" for a fix for my Philips Cordless USB Phone VOIP3212 under Vista (error code 10, the device could not be initialized).

This is essentially a composed USB device: an USB headset + HID device.

I read the full thread and it describes exactly my situation: error code 10 and device not listed in audio devices; I'm ready for the usbaudio.sys file swapping... let's download the setup.exe.

This alert comes: Note: this is no longer the best solution. A much better fix is discussed starting at ...; ok no need for patching, go ahead, this guy is doing a great job.

My happiness stopped when I read that setup.exe fix was replaced by a Filter Driver, which is surely a cleaner solution but it targets only the RCA Lyra RD900W device, so I'm out of the game.

Now my questions for cc213t are: is it possible to...

• have the old setup.exe fix back and use it for "non RCA Lyra RD900W" devices?
    • edit your driver to filter out other devices?
    • have it's source code?

Thanks cc213t for your great debugging session ;-)

venerdì 22 agosto 2008 20:34
  • Please start a new thread for your Philips VOIP3212 phone problem so as to prevent confusion.  The original hack fix (replacing usbaudio.sys with the XP version) is still in my post that you mentioned, but the hyperlink had become invisible.  I've edited the post so that it shows up in blue at least.  Feel free to try it, though that fix may not "stick" if it even works at all.

A better solution would be to write a similar filter driver to fix your device.  Using the trial version of BusHound, you can get enough information to at least know which USB request is failing and causing usbaudio.sys to reject the device.  This Powerpoint presentation explains typical bugs seen in USB audio devices.  The problems often originate in incorrect or malformed descriptors.

If you post the log from BusHound to your new thread and email me a link to your thread when you've started it, I'll take a look.

sabato 23 agosto 2008 17:06
  • Thanks 1k for your reply and kindness.

You're right about starting a new thread, I'll do ASAP.

Hope you could help me find a solution.

EDIT: the new thread for Philips VOIP3212S is here.

Claudio

sabato 23 agosto 2008 22:44
  • Mark,

Once again, yes, you ARE the man!  It is so great to get my remote audio capability back since upgrading to Vista.  I actually really like Vista.  These growing pains are a nuissance, but I still like what I see.

Peace!

domenica 24 agosto 2008 16:41
  •  

Hi Mark, thanks for all your help so far. I've downloaded the Microsoft hotfix because I had the 5.x.x.x usbaudio.sys, but when I try to install it, windows pops up a message saying that the update does not apply to my system. I have tried running the update both with the 5.x.x.x. driver in the correct folder, and with it removed (to the desktop). Would manually dragging and dropping the 6.x.x.x USBAUDIO.sys driver file into my \system32 folder be worth a shot? If so, I would need someone to attach theirs to an e-mail or upload to the web. I am so close to having this problem resolved I figured it might be worth a try, so if someone would upload or email the 6.x.x.x usbaudio.sys (from your \system32 folder), I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

-Joe

sabato 6 settembre 2008 15:44
  • I'm guessing you might be seeing the 'update does not apply' message because the hotfix predated SP2.  If you have SP2, then the hotfix installer is probably assuming you already have what it contains.  You could go back to a restore point, if you have one, or leave things alone (if the Lyra is working with your 5.x.x.x usbaudio.sys).  Manually copying the 6.x.x.x usbaudio.sys to all the right places will be tough since Microsoft has got things locked down.  You'll have to use the command line methods discussed near the beginning of this thread.

lunedì 8 settembre 2008 00:58
  •  cc213t wrote:
    the hotfix predated SP2

You mean "the hotfix predated SP1", right?
    lunedì 8 settembre 2008 08:01
  • Yeah, SP1... haven't been getting enough sleep lately....

lunedì 8 settembre 2008 16:37
  •  

Hi Mark, thanks once again for your help. I've never made a restore point on this machine, but is it possible windows would have made one automatically at some point?

Unfortunately, the Lyra is not working with my 5.x.x.x drivers, so it seems at this point that I would either need to uninstall SP1 and try the hotfix, or go back to a restore point. Assuming my computer doesn't have a restore point to revert to, how would I go about uninstalling SP1?

Thanks again for all your time and assistance Mark, you're the best!

martedì 9 settembre 2008 16:11
  • I downloaded this driver,
    Followed instructions for installation as outlined,
    Rebooted second time after completion.

and it WORKED PERFECTLY !!!!! 

Thank you!!!

David Sr.

Sony Laptop - Vista Home Premium - 23bit

mercoledì 17 settembre 2008 19:01
  • I downloaded this driver,
    Followed instructions for installation as outlined,
    Rebooted second time after completion.

and it WORKED PERFECTLY !!!!! 

Thank you!!!

David Sr.

Sony Laptop - Vista Home Premium - 32bit

mercoledì 17 settembre 2008 19:01
  • cc213t,

All I can say is: "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU"  myself.

I truly appreciate all of the work you put into this, and I'm sure there are hundreds more people out there that have benefited from your efforts.

I used your previous fix until SP1 blew it away, and then had to temporarily revive an ancient, slow, and cranky XP laptop to be able to use my Lyra. It's now been able to return to a well-deserved retirement.

In my case I did have to use the command line approach to copy USBAUDIO.sys into the drivers directory. (I got the file from a slightly-differently named directory, wdma_usb.inf_93fdc0a6.)

Earlier somebody suggested that you post your PayPal account - I'd happily contribute to it.

Best regards,
    Jim

sabato 20 settembre 2008 22:31
  • I have a RCA lyra rd900w, a builtin Realtek audio, and a Crative Labs Soundblaster USB audio device on my Vista PC. When I install the Vista fix from Mark I keep seeing a message saying it found  a "Lyra Wireless 2.0.00" device. Vista is telling it can't find "the file specified" but doesn't specify what the file is it can't find.

domenica 12 ottobre 2008 15:59
  •  cc213t wrote:

OK folks, here's the real solution (superceding the previous hack of copying the XP version of usbaudio.sys):

RD900W Vista Compatibility Driver v1.1

This filter driver allows the RCA RD900W Lyra Wireless transmitter to work properly on Vista by patching some of the USB audio class-specific descriptors that Windows reads upon first detecting the device.

The download is kind of large at 2.5 MB to install a tiny 6 KB driver file, but that's because the driver has to be packaged together with Microsoft's WDF co-installer, which is a giant DLL used only during installation and removal (that's just how things work these days using the latest driver framework).  (Compared to the 10+ GB required for a basic Vista installation, it's nothing, right?)

Before installing the driver, make sure that your Lyra Wireless transmitter is powered off.

During installation, you might get a small popup from Windows advising that a restart is required.  Say "Restart Later" and instead allow the installer to restart Windows when prompted.

The installer includes support for both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista.  In my testing, the driver worked properly and survived the installation of SP1, so it looks like this fix will stick.  The only thing that could disable it would be sloppy registry changes by other USB filter drivers you might install, in which case simply reinstalling this driver should fix the problem.

Unfortunately, Vista x64 and Server 2008 require all drivers to be digitally signed, a problem which looks like it would cost me about $500 to fix.  (Seems like it should be RCA's responsibility to pay for that...)   If you're using a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll need to press F8 as Windows starts up and then select Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.  This will allow my unsigned filter driver to run and allow your Lyra Wireless to work properly.  Disabling this Windows security feature will also allow any other unsigned drivers on your system to run, so be aware of the potential hazard...  Unfortunately, you'll need to use this F8 trick every time you boot Windows.  It used to be possible to permanently disable driver signature verification using the command line utility bcdedit, but Microsoft eliminated that workaround in SP1.

Please note that this driver won't fix any other USB audio devices which are failing on Vista - it is specific to the RCA RD900W.

Special thanks to Microsoft's DJ S. (maintainer of usbaudio.sys) who provided some very helpful advice.

[Updated 8/19/2008 with 64-bit support.  If you already have the 32-bit version installed and working, there is no need to update.  There were no other changes.]

Thanks Buddy.  Worked great for my Vista installation.
    martedì 21 ottobre 2008 23:51
  • I have a problem with my USB port. windows can not found my webcam.

lunedì 27 ottobre 2008 09:21
  • The RCA Lyra worked after installing the newest fixer, however I have a Logitech G15 Keyboard and it is NOT working booting regularly without disabling driver signing enformcement. It works when i disabled driver enforcement. SOO Not sure what the deal is. The Keyboard has always worked, it works at boot and b4 windows loads then stops working all together????

The drivers are re-installed from Logitech direct, same thing... Reverting back to old conifg till some1 can figure this out please.

64 bit windows home premium if that helps.

giovedì 27 novembre 2008 03:58
  • BOUGHT A NEW PC (WHOLE BUNDLE) YESTERDAY AND WAS UPSET MY LYRA DIDN'T WORK. I TRIED THIS FIX AND NOW THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE DON'T WORK ONCE THE PC LOADS. I UNPLUG AND REPLUG AND THE PC DOESN';T EVEN RECOGNIZE THEM.......NOW I HAVE MY OLD BARELY FUNCIONING PC BACK UP- KEYBOARD AND MOUSE WORK FINE WITH IT....IT'S THANKSGIVING AND NOTHING IS OPEN- HELP ME- WAS THERE A VIRUS  IN THIS FIX OR WHAT?????? I WAS SO ANGRY LAST NIGHT I COULDN'T SPEAK. I HAVE VISTA PREMIUM 64 BIT
    giovedì 27 novembre 2008 15:20
  • The hotfix wiped out (overwrote) my usb drivers so none of them functioned. Downloading new drivers was impossible but, a system restore worked. btw- F8 DID NOTHING (except make my USB ports useless) when i started up and the LYRA still doesn't work. Thanks though.

martedì 2 dicembre 2008 02:31
  • I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1 with Media Monkey 3.0.6, Lyra RD900W 2.0 and Lye 1.02.  Everything works except Volume and Mute. 

The Volume Mixer shows:

Device: RCA Lyra
    Applications: Lye 1.0, Media Monkey, Others

Volume control causes the indicator to rise and fall in the Mixer without effect.  Likewise mute.

Trying to run the Hotfix yields, "does not apply to your system."  I assume because it's included in SP1.

Ideas?

lunedì 5 gennaio 2009 19:52
  • Paroxysm said:
    Trying to run the Hotfix yields, "does not apply to your system."  I assume because it's included in SP1.

Just to be clear, which hotfix are you talking about?

As far as I know, there isn't any MS-provided hotfix that allows the RD900W to work in Vista.   That's why I had to write the filter driver...

martedì 6 gennaio 2009 18:54
  • Heyeveryone,

i bought this tesco internet phone, the phone is connected via usb to the computer and computer installs the drivers of the phone. the problem is its not working, when i first pluged in my tesco phone the computer installed some human device nd there was some another file but the usb cordless phone driver failed... could any1 please help me ?
    sabato 10 gennaio 2009 11:51
  • Shan Rehman said:

i bought this tesco internet phone ...  the usb cordless phone driver failed... could any1 please help me ?

Please start a new thread specific to that product.

lunedì 12 gennaio 2009 17:32
  • cc213t,

Many thanks for putting this package together. Just curious if a 32/64 bit version of the WDF filter driver was in the works for Windows 7?

I didn't test yet, but am assuming it should work give similar driver compatibility. Let me know if you need help testing.

lunedì 19 gennaio 2009 21:08
  • Windows 7 is on my to-do list...   I've been meaning to find time to install the beta and see whether Microsoft's USB audio driver still rejects the RD900W for the same reasons (or whether MS has had a change of heart and become more tolerant, like Ubuntu and MacOS).   If we need a filter driver, it will be easy enough to rebuild the driver with the appropriate WDK.   Has anyone already tried the RD900W on Windows 7?

martedì 20 gennaio 2009 18:29
  • CC213t,

I am running the Windows 7 Beta right now and I can confirm that the Lyra does not work with it.  I installed 1.1 of your filter driver since 7 is supposed to be the same Kernel as Vista and it seems to work just as well as it did with Vista.  Installed without a hitch.

Thanks again for all your work on this!

Steve

giovedì 29 gennaio 2009 04:27
  • cc213t -- Thank you for the time and effort to develop this solution.  I was so bummed when I found that Lyra and Vista weren't compatible (and equally bummed when I found that RCA has effectively disavowed a great and surprisingly simple product).  I downloaded your fix and it has worked like a charm.  Thanks for putting it together, and critically, for making it so easy.

Also, your fix had an unintended weird consequence, because now I don't need to use MusicMatch Jukebox anymore.  Vista just treats Lyra as an alternative sound card, so I just switch to Lyra in Control Panel and all of my computer sounds are pumped through the wireless device, including music being played through Windows Media Player or VLC Player.  The downside is that my RCA remote probably doesn't work anymore.  On the other hand, I was maintaining two separate music libraries -- one in WMP and one in MMJB -- and now I don't have to do that anymore.

I saw that another commentor offered to buy you dinner if you ever come to San Diego.  If you're ever in Washington DC, the same offer applies.
    mercoledì 25 marzo 2009 16:58
  • Awesome, good stuff and thanks for putting so much work into it and sharing both solutions you had.  My Lyra which is one of my favorite devices will live on now!  :)
    • Proposto come risposta Dude_Virus venerdì 8 maggio 2009 20:27
    mercoledì 29 aprile 2009 14:25
  • Hi

Need help with my usb problem

I have a 1TB external hdd and its a usb 2.0 and i used to get amazing speed when i connected it to the the mac installed machine and my broher's XP system .. only with windows vista and windows 7 this seems to be a problem it gives just a trasnfer speed of 5 MB/s and then keeps on dropping down and then stays on 1.5 or 2

on my Mac it used to trasnfer 1 gb file under a min same with the xp but not with vista or windows 7 ... i have tried with a small file and have tried with a big file the results turn out to be the same . have checked in device manager and my ext hdd shows its connected to a hi speed usb hub ... i have tried safe mode and in the safe mode the speeds are little better it gave a max of 10MB/s but not as good as the mac or the xp it is not reaching the 25 MB/s to 30 MB/s which it used to

I work for Dell and its not only a problem with my system there are thousands of users who face the same problem

Not only that i have tried multiple pen drive multiple ports ...... i have checked the bios and all the setting for the usb controller are fine the drivers are up to date how ever i noticed something...

i did a clean install of vista did not conect to the internet therefore no updates downloaded and now i tried the usb transfer .... i got speeds upto 25MB/s to 30MB/s which is good enough as a usb 2.0 theoretically provides 60MB/s

BUT

After downloading the updates from windows update the speeds took a hit now they do not go above 4 MB/s or 5MB/s so this is an issue with the updates some fix needs to be for this cause it is literally frustrating as to trasnfer a file of 1 gb it takes a long time.

same problem with windows 7 RC but in its case the speeds suck from the time u install it...

There are no softwares installed except an antivirus software so chances of some 3rd party programs causing the problem i dont think so.
    venerdì 8 maggio 2009 20:27
  • Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  My life is whole again! I have gone without my Lyra since August of 2007 when I got my first Vista machine. I found this thread about a year ago but I am glad I waited because your download with the filter worked like a charm and I only had to do it once!
    sabato 9 maggio 2009 20:48
  • I just tried your solution on Windows 7 64 bit.  It works, thanks a ton.

However, when I don't press F8 at startup, I expected for just the Lyra to not work.  Instead, none of my USB devices work (similar to PO's response above) unless I press F8.  It seems the the filter exe file changed all my USB drivers to unsigned??  If you have any more information on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
    venerdì 28 agosto 2009 19:46
  • No worries- the filter driver did not disturb the drivers for your other USB devices.  But unfortunately, as a filter, it connects into the path between those drivers and the actual USB hardware.  When it detects certain traffic specifically for the Lyra Wireless, it patches the data slightly so that the Lyra Wireless will appear compatible with Microsoft's USB audio driver.

Unfortunately, if the filter driver is not allowed to run (because you didn't do the F8 trick on 64-bit Windows), Windows apparently still leaves the disabled filter driver in the path, where it ends up blocking USB traffic just like a disabled vehicle blocking a road.

I don't know of any easy software solution to this problem, short of me ponying up $300-500 to be able to digitally sign the driver so that Windows will trust it without the F8 trick.  I apologize for the hassle.   Maybe someone can convince RCA to send me the cash?

I'll continue to explore possible software solutions, but a potential hardware workaround for this case might be to replace the EEPROM onboard the Lyra Wireless transmitter so that it sends the fixed USB descriptor data to Windows in the first place (eliminating the need for the filter driver).   I'll do some experiments along those lines, but I don't have time to get into the business of modifying hardware for people.  This would have to be a DIY project (I'd mail the EEPROM along with installation instructions, and you'd have to do your own soldering).

martedì 15 settembre 2009 17:44
  • I have the same experience as snowfiend131 - after installing this patch, I lost my mouse & keyboard if I don't disable driver signing on bootup.  (Oddly, this happened previously with Vista, after a windows update I believe - I can't recall how I fixed it ...will post if I can find it...)

I appreciate having the Lyra back, so will try to live with this for now...would love a solution...

Also, must add my thanks for all of your effort in getting this to work!  Thank you!

sabato 26 settembre 2009 22:11
  • For anyone who is annoyed at having to remember to press F8, here's a program that will do it for you.

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

Its called ReadyDriverPlus.  It alters your boot sequence and selects to load Windows with unsigned drivers.  All automatically.  Adds a few seconds to boot time.

I've been using it successfully on Windows 7 64 bit.  However, use at your own risk.  I am not affiliated in any way with this program.  Google it, you'll find some info.
    sabato 26 settembre 2009 23:39
  • Following this thread regarding compatibility with RCA Lyra and Windows 7; does the solution above apply to 32-bit Windows as well? I'd like to start using my Lyra wireless again soon!
    giovedì 12 novembre 2009 03:31
  • Yes, things work smoothly with 32-bit Vista and Windows 7.

I'm almost finished with a new release of the fix that includes updated Microsoft WDF (simplifies installation) and hopefully will have a signed driver to eliminate the need to press F8 on 64-bit Windows.
    giovedì 12 novembre 2009 21:36
  • Great work cc213t, and a ton of thanks!  I think I speak for everyone who has this device, loves it and wants to keep using it.  :)
    venerdì 13 novembre 2009 00:20
  • (Obsolete info removed)
    • Proposto come risposta woh3 lunedì 18 gennaio 2010 04:21
    • Modificato cc213t giovedì 19 luglio 2012 22:05
    mercoledì 23 dicembre 2009 04:28
  • Happy Holidays indeed!  Thanks to you I am a Holiday Hero in our home.  Your Vista 64-bit version is awesome and we will be making a small deposit into your PayPal account as soon as we can.  Thanks!!!

venerdì 25 dicembre 2009 18:18
  • I paid $230 to purchase the digital signature necessary to release this driver for 64-bit Windows.
    Have  you purchased a digital signature as a corporation or as an individual? I'm the developer of another kernel-mode driver (Virtual Audio Cable) but all six CAs having MS cross-certificates refuse to provide Authenticode digital signature for me because I have no corporation.
    venerdì 8 gennaio 2010 04:57
  • I believe GlobalSign and VeriSign are the only remaining CAs that issue certs suitable for kernel mode code signing.  Of the two, GlobalSign is cheaper and seems willing to issue a cert if you are registered as a business in your state, even as a sole proprietorship (this was free in my state, but I was already registered for several years prior to applying for the cert, which may have helped my case).  You will need a state business tax ID number plus documentation to back it up, and they will verify it.  OSR's NTDEV mailing list/forum is a great resource, and driver signing has been a frequent topic there lately.  Good luck!
    sabato 9 gennaio 2010 06:52
  • Thank you CC213t. It works just as you said.
    Now if only the remote control  would work with Windows Media Player.

lunedì 18 gennaio 2010 04:22
  • I will provide technical details on the Lyra Wireless remote control if someone feels like writing a WMP plug-in to support it.   I don't think it would be too hard to do - I've already written the code to support the remote... someone would just need to learn how to write a WMP plug-in, package it, etc.  Personally, I prefer Foobar2000 as an audio player, so I might support the remote on that when I get a chance.  I am working through a backlog of projects at the moment...

lunedì 18 gennaio 2010 23:51
  • I've already written the code to support the remote... someone would just need to learn how to write a WMP plug-in, package it, etc.  Personally, I prefer Foobar2000 as an audio player, so I might support the remote on that when I get a chance.  I am working through a backlog of projects at the moment...

So what does the remote work with? I have not been able to properly load MusicMatch and I don't see any future in it. The reason I use WMP 12 is because it is there in Windows 7, and it works much nicer than the previous WMP.

Where is the best place to find more about writing a plug-in for WMP?
    mercoledì 20 gennaio 2010 02:39
  • The remote control looks to Windows like a standard USB HID (human input device; other HIDs are mice, keyboards, etc.)  However, the remote can't do anything without software running to monitor its events, properly interpret them, and relay appropriate commands to the software you want to control, making logical translations between buttons on the remote and functions of the software (i.e. stop button on the remote stops playback in WMP).  That's why you'd need to write a plug-in for WMP.  Windows Media Player SDK documentation is here .

Another way to go about it might be to buy the generic home automation software Girder from Promixis and customize it to drive WMP from the Lyra remote events.  Based on skimming some threads, it seems like it could be made to do this, but no guarantees...

If I come up with a solution for Foobar2000, I'll mention it here.
    mercoledì 20 gennaio 2010 20:09
  • I installed the Compatability Driver, and it works as described, but has created a new problem for me.

I use Rhapsody Music Service. Once installing the Compatability Driver, The Rhapsody process will not end in Windows, and therefore will also not allow you to run it a second time after closing it the first time.

I confirmed this by re-installing Windows Vista. Rhapsody ran clean and I could close and open it at will, again. I then re-installed the driver and Rhapsody exhibited the same failure to end the process problem. I get no errors, it just will not end, even if I try to force it to end in Task Manager.

Anyone else have this issue?
    lunedì 25 gennaio 2010 16:02
  • I'll admit I didn't test with Rhapsody, but it shouldn't be affected by a driver it cannot even see (from its standpoint).   I can't seem to reproduce this problem.

Just now I tried a fresh installation of Vista Business 64-bit Edition + RD900W compatibility driver + Rhapsody 4.0 build 5.209 (latest on their website) and everything worked fine - no problems exiting and restarting Rhapsody over and over.   Then I installed RCA's LWRemote.exe helper application, thinking maybe it could be to blame for your trouble, since it was designed for Windows 2000 and XP, not Vista and Windows 7.  It seems to work OK on Vista and did not cause any trouble with Rhapsody.

Are you on 32 or 64-bit Vista?  Same version of Rhapsody?   Could you try both with and without RCA's LWRemote application installed?  To troubleshoot further, if you're reasonably tech-savvy, I'd recommend installing API Monitor and watching rhapsody.exe and rhaphlpr.exe - this might provide some clues about what is hanging at shutdown.   I really can't think of anything I could change in the filter driver.  It doesn't even touch any of the USB traffic after Windows initially detects the RD900W at startup (before you even run Rhapsody).
    martedì 26 gennaio 2010 21:19
  • I just want to give kudos to cc213t for ponying up the cash for the digital sig.  Very impressed.  I was pulling what little hair I have out over this problem. Installed the patch, works just like it used to!!!  Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I donated $20.00 to the man for his efforts.  Anyone else feeling generous?

On a side note, why did RCA stop manufacturing the RD900W Lyra Wireless anyway.  It was so cheap and works so well...hmmmm...maybe that's why?  Don't know what I'll do when this one dies!  I think I've had it for at least 5-7 years!!

Anyways, thanks to all.  Another minor irritation from life removed!
    lunedì 15 febbraio 2010 20:27
  • Just wondering, have you ever checked out Inksaver?  What a great app!  But of course won't work on Windows 7 64bit.  Any chance you could work your magic cc213t?
    mercoledì 17 febbraio 2010 01:20
  • I suspect the Lyra Wireless was discontinued because RCA/Thomson saw that consumers were moving away from desktop computers towards laptops and netbooks, and you have to admit the RD900W transmitter is pretty bulky and clunky to use with a portable computer, especially with its wall transformer.

There are some newer wireless USB audio solutions available that have reduced the transmitter to the size of a USB flash drive (nice!):

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-MB1000-/80-7300
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-WA2200-/83-11855

And there's a company producing a line of high-end wireless audio products that might interest Lyra Wireless owners:

http://www.soundcastsystems.com/

I don't have any personal experience with these products yet.
    venerdì 19 febbraio 2010 23:10
  • cc213t, Very nice job on the USB filter!  Works like a champ on my Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit machine. 

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'll ask anyway since I can't find a better one at the moment.  What I want to do is play audio from a single application through my Lyra wireless transmitter AND through the SPDIF port on the integrated sound card.  Seems I can only select one.  Typical application would be Pandora, Slacker and Sirius Internet Radio.  WMP would be fine but need the others more.  Has anyone found/seen a way to do that?

I have the SPDIF port connected to a stereo system where the PC is and want to play the same audio to other stereos connected via Lyra wireless devices.  Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

venerdì 30 aprile 2010 18:15
  • I was never able to get both the Lyra and a sound card to work at the same time, and haven't tried on Windows 7.

Suggestion:  Obtain an extra Lyra receiver and use it with the stereo that normally uses your sound card output.

venerdì 30 aprile 2010 20:59
  • Happy holidays everyone!  Version 1.2 of the driver is now available , featuring smoother installation and FINALLY the digital signatures required for the driver to run normally on 64-bit versions of Windows (no more pressing F8 at startup!).  Please let me know of any problems you experience.

The link for Version 1.2 is dead.  Can someone please share??

I just bought a Win7 64-bit machine, and I NEED my Lyra!!   It would also allow me to remove Readyboot from my older Vista64 machine.

Thanks,

JS

domenica 26 settembre 2010 14:12
  • The link that's broken just pointed to an individual post in this thread.  Microsoft eliminated the ability to link to an individual post on TechNet for some reason.

The actual driver is still available.  Search for "OK folks" in this thread to find the post containing the details.

lunedì 27 settembre 2010 19:40
  • Good news - I figured out that you can add a TOSLINK digital output to the Lyra Wireless receiver by simply adding a red LED.  I documented the modification at AVS Forum .

• Modificato cc213t martedì 12 ottobre 2010 19:46 fixed link
    martedì 12 ottobre 2010 19:45
  • Good news - I figured out that you can add a TOSLINK digital output to the Lyra Wireless receiver by simply adding a red LED.  I documented the modification at AVS Forum .

Hey cc213t, I'm curious, what language did you use to write the driver filter?  Would it also be possible to write an intercept (or listener) that listened for the commands coming from the lyra wireless remote control?  It's a cool remote, but built to work with Music Match.  I'd love to write a front it for that remote (I typically program in .Net, either VB or C# but can also use C/C++ if I know the direction I'm going) that could be configured for use with other music apps like WinAmp, Windows Media Player and/or iTunes (or, that could simply be configured to issue commands or run macros so you can set it up to run with anything).  It sounds like this kind of listener could be accomplished through the filter, any chance of you pointing me in the right direction on where to learn about that or anything you can share?  Anything I'd write I'd share with the community (the Lyra is still one of the best and cheapest devices I own).
    martedì 12 ottobre 2010 21:58
  • The good news is that you don't need a kernel device driver to monitor the Lyra remote keypresses - the remote simply shows up as a standard Windows USB HID (human input device) that generates input reports.  You can do everything you need to from a user mode process that listens for remote buttons and then fires Windows UI events at various media player processes (simulating keypresses etc.)  This should probably be implemented as a Windows service that runs automatically, similar to what RCA originally did for MusicMatch.

You can also implement support for the remote control in a plug-in for each media player.  This isn't as versatile, but as an example, I added remote support to WINAMP 3.0.  I'd be glad to share the relevant C++ code.  It could probably be translated to C#, but I'm more of a C/C++ systems programming guy and haven't explored that.  Creating similar plug-ins for WMP, iTunes, WINAMP 5 etc. wouldn't be too hard.

A company called Henderson Software published a shareware program called Lye a few years ago which claimed to do exactly what you describe (controlling various media players from the Lyra remote).  You can still find it for download online by searching for "lye lyra" but it looks like the company that developed it is gone.  I've never tried it.  It might work on Vista and Windows 7 once my compatibility driver is running (to get the Lyra working at all)... it's worth a shot, anyway.

martedì 12 ottobre 2010 22:58
  • Lye is still available from Henderson (though it's clearly no longer being developed). Your search term brings it up. It looks like it searches the Programs folder for several specific media players to control. Seems like a nice app for the Lyra. See forum.hendersonsoftware dot com -- the most recent build I found was in Post #2 in this thread: Henderson Software Consulting Support Forum » Lye » Lye Support Forum » Releases
    martedì 9 novembre 2010 05:06
  • Windows 7 and RCA Lyra Remote. I have the sound working fine but not the remote control.

I tried a trial Girder. It loaded ok and opened OK but I could not get any keystrokes of the remote to show up on its logger. I left a message on their Forum. I'll keep this thread up to date.

I downloaded a trial version of Henderson Lye v1.02. It says it supports WMP v10 (windows has v12). It loaded fine. The good news is that the buttons on the remote control all worked and displayed the function on the screen. The driver from cc213t must be working! The bad news is that it did not find WinAmp. It has to be loaded in a certain directory. I suspect that has changed for Windows 7. I loaded WinAmp in the default directory.

Lye did find WMP. Unfortunately only one button (favorites) on the remote works. If WMP is off and FAV is pressed, WMP starts and plays the selected favorite in the Lye program settings.

Update: One time I got Lye into a mode where most of the buttons on the remote worked for WMP. Not able to duplicate it though. Lye is not a plug-in it is an application as described by cc213t. It finds the media player and you select it in its dialog box.

More: When first opening Lye (especially after a reboot) and I open WMP pressing FAVorites, then most of the buttons on the remote work except volume. When opening WMP with a mouse the buttons don't work. After opening WMP several times it stops working, except the FAV key. The number keys open different play lists. The FAV key opens a preselected Play list. Also since this is a trial version it stops working after 30min.

werner
    domenica 28 novembre 2010 22:11
  • You can also implement support for the remote control in a plug-in for each media player.  This isn't as versatile, but as an example, I added remote support to WINAMP 3.0.  I'd be glad to share the relevant C++ code.  It could probably be translated to C#, but I'm more of a C/C++ systems programming guy and haven't explored that.  Creating similar plug-ins for WMP, iTunes, WINAMP 5 etc. wouldn't be too hard.

I'd like to try to create a plug in in VC++ for the WMP v12 (windows 7) and if it works I might try C# as a learning experience.  But this is going to take a while I have little experience with C++. Can you share the C++ source code pleaase? That may help me get started. I have no idea how to read the USB. I tried some examples for XP, but I could not make it work.

An aside, where do you find the vendor id, and the product id? I thought it might be in the Device manager, but I can't find it.

werner
    martedì 30 novembre 2010 20:36
  • The good news is that you don't need a kernel device driver to monitor the Lyra remote keypresses - the remote simply shows up as a standard Windows USB HID (human input device) that generates input reports.  You can do everything you need to from a user mode process that listens for remote buttons and then fires Windows UI events at various media player processes (simulating keypresses etc.)  This should probably be implemented as a Windows service that runs automatically, similar to what RCA originally did for MusicMatch.

You can also implement support for the remote control in a plug-in for each media player.  This isn't as versatile, but as an example, I added remote support to WINAMP 3.0.  I'd be glad to share the relevant C++ code.  It could probably be translated to C#, but I'm more of a C/C++ systems programming guy and haven't explored that.  Creating similar plug-ins for WMP, iTunes, WINAMP 5 etc. wouldn't be too hard.

A company called Henderson Software published a shareware program called Lye a few years ago which claimed to do exactly what you describe (controlling various media players from the Lyra remote).  You can still find it for download online by searching for "lye lyra" but it looks like the company that developed it is gone.  I've never tried it.  It might work on Vista and Windows 7 once my compatibility driver is running (to get the Lyra working at all)... it's worth a shot, anyway.

Thanks for the response.  :)  I think I'm going to give this a whirl.  I'm going to go with VB or C# (probably VB).  I was writing some code yesterday to control Rhapsody from my Android phone (using the SendMessage api to execute actions in Rhapsody after receiving a TCP message from the phone or other network device) and it got me thinking about this topic again.  If I get something running I'll put the project onto CodePlex.  Thanks for the advice!

Blake.

venerdì 3 dicembre 2010 17:37
  • Hi,

The great driver you created no longer works with my Vista Ultimate.  It worked great a while ago but not anymore.  I re-installed it without success.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

lunedì 27 dicembre 2010 21:26
  • Hmm, I checked it just now on a fresh 64-bit Vista installation and had no problems.  Are any errors reported when you reinstall the driver?  Does your Lyra transmitter work OK on a different computer?  Also, make sure your computer's date and time are set correctly; this affects Windows' ability to check the timestamp of signed device drivers.

Anyone else having trouble?

mercoledì 5 gennaio 2011 17:38
  •  "I added remote support to WINAMP 3.0.  I'd be glad to share the relevant C++ code."

CC213t, how can I get a copy of your source for the remote support please?

werner
    venerdì 7 gennaio 2011 15:51
  • Hi cc213t, recently reinstalled windows 7 64 bit on a new SSD.  I saved the compatiblity driver from my previous install, can't get it to install.  Can you list the instructions again please?  I've tried to find the link in this thread for an hour or more, everything seems to link to nothing.  Thanks very much.
    giovedì 28 aprile 2011 18:07
  • Search for "OK folks" within this thread - the link there is the right one and still works.  If you still have installation problems, you can email me at mfontana@piano@corder.info (remove the second "at" symbol in that address).
    martedì 3 maggio 2011 22:30
  • Thanks for your diligence cc213t.

Just loaded it on my new windows 7 PC and it works great.

Donation=good karma

giovedì 30 giugno 2011 16:06
  • I've posted version 1.3 of the driver, fixing a small bug in the installation process that showed up on Windows 8.   If you already have the driver installed and it's working fine, there's no need to update.
    lunedì 23 luglio 2012 18:07
  •   You are right - you can take me out of the loop.  Thanks, Jim C; j_cjc528@hotmail.com

舰밂舰│ဂ᥊㣒芌᱙嶥彳崕ꏜരआ蘪虈෷āԄ 麁ἱᴰ̆ѕጊ嘖牥卩杩牔獵⁴敎睴牯ㅫ〗ؕ唃଄ณ敖楲楓湧‬湉⹣ⰱ⨰̆ѕጋ嘣牥卩杩楔敭匠慴灭湩⁧敓癲捩⁥潒瑯㐱㈰̆ѕጋ丫⁏䥌䉁䱉呉⁙䍁䕃呐䑅‬挨㤩‷敖楲楓湧‬湉⹣Ḱഗ㜹㔰㈱〰〰〰᝚」〴〱㈷㔳㔹娹脰㆞〟؝唃਄ᘓ敖楲楓湧吠畲瑳丠瑥潷歲ᜱᔰ̆ѕጋ嘎牥卩杩Ɱ䤠据ㄮ〬ت唃଄⌓敖楲楓湧吠浩⁥瑓浡楰杮匠牥楶散删潯ㅴ〴ز唃଄⬓低䰠䅉䥂䥌奔䄠䍃偅䕔ⱄ⠠⥣㜹嘠牥卩杩Ɱ䤠据〮龁രआ蘪虈෷āԁ̀趁 要脂⻓籨⴬脮넜눆஧ᆷ圍叚痘짣⨳풲৶㑛ﺐఉ��娛춹놈삝▇緫ၘ橳쭸ᕱ웽ꬩ幘Җⷽᅢ腘쨜鑱⋕⽘쳕Ԕ㚄钺뒪䩍∻嚭纙鰡虬䫀靇둪㚦ﳕⴉ듓鬹̂、؍⨉䢆čЁ脃啡㸎읻ኒᅾ踐찢돔⬓砋꒞ާṲ姢쳯钉��慎돯ﮤ㵆㑐鼋噰軶缪츗揥禿ݩ⹳閰訨ꦪ巒્჊載돎⢯쒖⥹銄ᅵ枺䡂邦憿鳸톓㽳ﷸ依겄텕ᇽ捣

lunedì 20 agosto 2012 00:56
  • I have been using the rca lyra rd900w for many years and just love it. I have about 4 of them. A few years ago when I updated to windows 7 I went here and got driver that you posted and self signed it and ran in windows 7 64bit test mode and all was good (or at least passable). Well my motherboard went up and I had to reformat a drive and I am back to the site in hopes to get the driver again. When I saw that there was now a signed version - I was so excited. Unfortunately when I downloaded and ran the install I get an error  (Unable to get device class properties error 13) and the install will not run. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just love using the darn thing and I hate to give it up. Thanks in advance.
    giovedì 3 gennaio 2013 02:03
  • ^^^^^ We analyzed the situation and determined the problem to be a faulty filter driver installation by an application called ASUS Ai Charger, which claims to permit faster charging of Apple mobile devices through the USB ports of any PC.  It turns out that the installer for this software does not properly terminate the LowerFilters list of type REG_MULTI_SZ for the USB device class, so Windows reports the list is invalid and the Lyra driver installation is stopped to avoid altering the user's system.
    • Modificato cc213t mercoledì 9 gennaio 2013 18:33
    mercoledì 9 gennaio 2013 18:32
  • Thanks cc213t,  your fix worked fine with Windows10.
    venerdì 30 dicembre 2016 17:00
  • My Lyra was on working intermittently and so I downloaded the updated driver and tried to replace the one that was in the machine.  I got the following error message and now it won't work:

"CAT file not present

Creating the service

Couldn't create the service -  error 1072"

etc.....

Help Please!

giovedì 15 giugno 2017 04:02
  • hi everyone,

i see there is a 1.3 AND a 1.4 version of the driver to make the audio work:

http://www.pianocorder.info/wireless_kit/files/

whats the difference between them?  is 1.4 the latest?  does it work with the latest win10?

also...

did anyone get the remote to work with winamp?  winamp 5.8 is the latest as i type this.

can't the remote work, as just generic multimedia keys do, the way those work on wired or wireless keyboards?

thanks!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1282951-cheap-wireless-toslink-computer-receiver-using-rca-rd900w-lyra-wireless.html#post58540192
    • Modificato MrSinatra martedì 10 settembre 2019 23:18
    martedì 10 settembre 2019 22:44