none
Switch to local account - "Windows is already using that name" RRS feed

• Domanda

• Hi

I've upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 and stupidly created a Microsoft account during the upgrade procedure rather than using a local account (which is what I was using before). I want to go back to using the local account and have tried going to "Your Account" - "Disconnect" - "Switch to a local account". However, as I want everything to go back to how it was before I upgraded I've tried entering the same username as before but I keep getting the following message "Windows is already using that name. Please enter a different username". Is there anyway I can log into a local account using the same username as before or do I need to create a new username (and therefore a new account?).

Any help to make this problem go away would be much appreciated!

Myzo.

• Modificato Myzopoda giovedì 24 ottobre 2013 13:28
    giovedì 24 ottobre 2013 07:25

Risposte

• Hi,

According to your description, I think you may made a misunderstand for your operation. In the interface of “Switch to a local account”, it means to create a new user account, as you already had a same name local account, you would receive this error report.

If you want to switch to your local account, you can follow the steps below to access other account.

Firstly, check your current user account. Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage User Account. Verifying whether your local account still exists.

Secondly, WIN+C, click Power, then choose Switch User Account. After that, choose your local user account.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

domenica 27 ottobre 2013 04:58
    Moderatore

Tutte le risposte

• Hi,

According to your description, I think you may made a misunderstand for your operation. In the interface of “Switch to a local account”, it means to create a new user account, as you already had a same name local account, you would receive this error report.

If you want to switch to your local account, you can follow the steps below to access other account.

Firstly, check your current user account. Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage User Account. Verifying whether your local account still exists.

Secondly, WIN+C, click Power, then choose Switch User Account. After that, choose your local user account.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

domenica 27 ottobre 2013 04:58
    Moderatore
  • I'm having this exact same problem. I want to go back to using a local account but it says "Windows is already using that name." I can't seem to find the local account anymore in the Control Panel or switch user area. When I upgraded to 8.1 and converted my login to a Microsoft account, it must have deleted my local account?

I don't want to start over & create a whole new account with a different name.  How do I fix this problem?

lunedì 4 novembre 2013 17:01
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. What do I do if I have created a Windows account when upgrading to 8.1 but I want to go back to my existing local account before I upgraded. I went to the control panel and followed your instructions but my previous local account isn't there anymore. 

I also went to disconnect my Windows account so I can login with my local details and password however, when I tried to create the new local account name it said I couldn't choose it because there was already a Windows account with that name. I don't want to create an account name with silly numbers after it, I just want my name. Could you please help direct me to how I can set up a new local account (or get back my pre-8.1 account) with the same name as my windows account name?

Thanks.

lunedì 13 gennaio 2014 04:56
  • When you create a Windows account, the local account remains.  Just log out of the windows account and log into the local account. Or use switch user. In 8.1 you can click on your account name/picture in the upper right corner of the start screen and then click on the local account you want to switch to 
    giovedì 16 gennaio 2014 18:52
  • Hello there,

I know this is way too old, but the same issue you faced happened to me when i switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (i skipped windows 8), and i managed to solve it, and thought of sharing the answer with every one, as this post show up in most searches for this error.

I use my name as the account name for my Windows, and i use the same name with the Microsoft Live account, so when i started using my live account with windows 10 it automatically replaced my Windows account since they both were the same name.

Later i wanted to switch back to local account and use a local password separate from my Live account password, and when trying to switch to local account i tried to use my name for the account i got that "windows is already using that name" error, and since i didn't want to create a new account with a new name i tried to find a work around, and it worked.

I simply went to my Live account and 'Edited' my Live account name (just added a number next to the name) and saved the changes then restarted my PC, and as i guessed my PC name automatically updated with the new name on the Live account.

Then i went with the steps of creating a local account using my name as normal, and this time it worked fine as this name was different than the 'edited' one on the Live account.

Once done and all back to normal i went back to the Live account and removed that number i added returning the name to how it was and saved the changes.

This way i got my old local account without losing any data and without having to create a new account.

I hope this helps anyone who (like me) might be frustrated be the way Microsoft choose to handle the Windows account.

Feel free to share this with any one who might be looking for an answer to the same problem.

venerdì 21 agosto 2015 04:37
  • Awesome solution!  This worked for me when I had the same issue...
    martedì 23 febbraio 2016 22:34
  • Thank you for this workaround.  This is better than the technet response.
    domenica 18 settembre 2016 16:13
  • How long did the online change take to propagate to your local machine? I rebooted but alas same error. Really impressive how MSFT coaxed users to sign up for the online login feature that has no value.
    giovedì 9 febbraio 2017 05:06
  • I'm on a new Windows 10 machine and having the same problem.  I tried the solution of changing the Windows Live name but it has not propagated to the local machine.
    lunedì 26 agosto 2019 05:34
  • Update: once I went through the account verification procedure and "synched" the accounts, the name change propagated correctly.
    lunedì 26 agosto 2019 05:48