none
No Sound (VIA) after Anniversary Update RRS feed

• Domanda

• Hello, 

I have always had difficulties with Windows 10 Audio issues on my PC. It does not seem to like the VIA HD Audio driver. In the past, I would simply install the Win8 Version and have no issues. However, after the Anniversary Update the sound is broken and no driver seems to work. 

The issue is strange. I have a 5.1 Set-up, Rear L/R, Center, and Subwoofer all work. The Main Left/Right speakers, however, do not. I have never encountered this before. 

I have tried the Windows Troubleshooter, I have tried every other driver I can think of including the older ones. 

I actually thought maybe it was a hardware issue with my speakers or wiring, so I booted to Ubuntu and the speakers work just fine there. So it is not the hardware, it is something with Windows and this update. I finally decided to roll back the update, and now it is telling me the files do not exist to do so - so I am out of options. 

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it? I work IT for a living so I am not new to Troublshooting, but I am exasperated with this one. 

Current Driver is VIA Technologies, Inc. Version 6.0.11.1100 from 12/3/2015. 

I have my speakers set as the default device, and my bluetooth headphones will work without any problems. 

From the event log (which is where I believe the trouble began) 

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14d0d6e2&0&0001 requires further installation.

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14d0d6e2&0&0001 requires further installation.

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14d0d6e2&0&0001 was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14d0d6e2&0&0001 Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Location Path: Migration Rank: 0x0 Present: true

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service VIAHdAudAddService for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14D0D6E2&0&0001 with the following status: 0.

Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service VIAKaraokeService for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14D0D6E2&0&0001 with the following status: 0.

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver viahdb01.inf_amd64_33dd55a863d25a14\viahdb01.inf for Device Instance ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&14D0D6E2&0&0001 with the following status: 0x0.

(This is all from 11:59pm Oct 1st)

I also want to note that tonight I also made sure to disable Exclusivity from the speakers and also tried Restarting the AudioSrv Service; to no avail. I have tried lowering the sound from 48000hz 24bit to 44, etc. I have tried each setting. 

I also tried the Windows Troubleshooter which was surprisingly useful, as it tested the audio for me using 3 different drivers; none worked, however. 

The system is acting as if it is working properly. I can even see the audio levels moving as if it is playing audio - there is just no output on the Main L/R speaker. 

It worked before the update, it works in Ubuntu - I cannot figure out what could cause this or how to address it but I really, really need my sound to work. :(

Thanks to any who respond.

lunedì 10 ottobre 2016 19:40

Risposte

• I have done all that you have suggested, even the In-Place Upgrade. Same result. However, speakers work fine in Ubuntu. I am wondering if I should download an ISO of the previous build and do a Downgrade (If that is possible) to see if it is related to the build specifically or something else. This was not a problem UNTIL the Anniversary Update, so that is certainly where it broke. However, I am not sure if it broke due to the build itself or due to the way the upgrade went...

Andrew,

It maybe the incompatibility between new build of Windows and device driver. If so, we have to use the previous build of Windows as a workaround. Hope it could be fixed next release.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

venerdì 21 ottobre 2016 09:18
    Moderatore

Tutte le risposte

• Hi Andrew,

Here are some solutions for you. Please check if they are helpful:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/75e7a022-e6bd-450c-9e3c-87ba24c63f83/via-hd-audio-stopped-working-after-win10-anniversary-update-vdeckexe?forum=win10itprogeneral

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

giovedì 13 ottobre 2016 06:48
    Moderatore
  • I have seen that thread, and I thank you for trying. However, that thread is related to the VDeck.exe compatibility issue with 64-Bit OS which is unfortunately not what I am experiencing at all. My issue is much, much stranger. 

TL;DR my Rear Speaker work, subwoofer works - Main L/R Speakers NO AUDIO. (but the OS Acts like it is working normal and I see the volume levels changing as if it is outputting). 

I still cannot solve! I don't know what else to do, and I feel like I have provided a lot of info even the Event Log. Is there anything else I can provide that would be of assistance?

giovedì 13 ottobre 2016 20:13
  • Hi Andrew,

Please follow below steps to reinstall it:

1. Right click Computer, select Manage;

2. Click Device Manager.

3. Right click the your audio device, and select Uninstall.

4.Once the device have been uninstalled, right-mouse click your Computer Name at the top of the list and select Scan For Hardware Changes.

5. Restart computer to check the result.

If it still doesn't work, consider use the ISO to do In-Place Upgrade:

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

lunedì 17 ottobre 2016 07:16
    Moderatore
  • I have done all that you have suggested, even the In-Place Upgrade. Same result. However, speakers work fine in Ubuntu. I am wondering if I should download an ISO of the previous build and do a Downgrade (If that is possible) to see if it is related to the build specifically or something else. This was not a problem UNTIL the Anniversary Update, so that is certainly where it broke. However, I am not sure if it broke due to the build itself or due to the way the upgrade went...
    martedì 18 ottobre 2016 19:11

Andrew,

It maybe the incompatibility between new build of Windows and device driver. If so, we have to use the previous build of Windows as a workaround. Hope it could be fixed next release.

venerdì 21 ottobre 2016 09:18
    Moderatore