none
Disk clone successful but new hard drive still wont boot RRS feed

• Domanda

• I just received a factory OEM laptop with Windows 8.1 installed.

I used ghost to perform a sector by sector disk to disk clone from the orig SSD to another SSD of greater size.  The job completed in about 70 minutes.

When I put the newly cloned SSD into the known good Win 8 laptop , I get an error that says:                                              "A required device isn't connected or cant be acceessed."  Error code 0xc0000225  Why would that be?!

mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 00:07

Risposte

• Hi MSISAPITA,

Please know that status: 0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting.
    1. The System files are corrupt.
    2. The disk File system has bad configuration.
    3. Hardware fault.

As you use the Ghost to clone the disk, to receive better support, it is recommended to ask in the related forum.

Additionally, we could contact the manufacturer to check the hardware compatibility.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

giovedì 23 ottobre 2014 09:30
    Moderatore
  • I have done a disk clone of Windows 7 (MBR) with Ghost 12 (13 should be fine) but I used the DOS GUI and the Disk-to-Disk method... which should still be a sector copy.

It may be, however, that your original disk was GPT format. I cannot find if Ghost 13 supports cloning this type of disk (actually I can't find the documentation for this version). If this is the case, you have to do the Ghosting a specific way (even 11.5 seems to work) and using UEFI bootable media to do the capture and the deploy. See here for the complaint:
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/498508-disk-image-with-uefi

See here for a tutorial:
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/imaging-efiuefi-system-windows-8-and-symantec-ghost-usb

It could be that all you need is to rerun BCDBoot from a UEFI booted device to fix it. I cannot say for sure as I have not had experience with cloning a drive this way.

giovedì 23 ottobre 2014 14:59

Tutte le risposte

• Try to change in the bios the value of  SATA controller, the new value it's AHCI
    mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 07:50
    Moderatore
  • it's been some time since I used ghost, but some disks it will not copy the proper boot sector and you have to run ghost with a switch to make it process the entire boot track.

in ghost it was the -IB switch

mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 12:55
  • Why do you not use image or dism

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825072.aspx

mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 14:13
    Moderatore
  • DISM isn't designed for this purpose.

What version of Ghost was used?

mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 14:41
  • I did not use DISM becasue I was unable to get my UFD to boot to the laptop.

Then I tried slaving the hard drive via USB to then use DISM to capture the image (I have done this in past in instances where computer wouldn't let me boot to UFD). But that did not work either becasue the OEM hard drive was not seen plugged in as a USB drive by the DISM tool...even though device mgr saw it. (It wldnt let me initialize the disk adn this may have been an important piece to the puzzle)

I used Ghost 13 from the command line and did use the /IR switches which is supposed to copy over raw data...sector by sector.

I did try AHCI also...to no avail.

mercoledì 22 ottobre 2014 19:33
  • Hi MSISAPITA,

Please know that status: 0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting.
    1. The System files are corrupt.
    2. The disk File system has bad configuration.
    3. Hardware fault.

As you use the Ghost to clone the disk, to receive better support, it is recommended to ask in the related forum.

Additionally, we could contact the manufacturer to check the hardware compatibility.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

giovedì 23 ottobre 2014 09:30
    Moderatore
  • I have done a disk clone of Windows 7 (MBR) with Ghost 12 (13 should be fine) but I used the DOS GUI and the Disk-to-Disk method... which should still be a sector copy.

It may be, however, that your original disk was GPT format. I cannot find if Ghost 13 supports cloning this type of disk (actually I can't find the documentation for this version). If this is the case, you have to do the Ghosting a specific way (even 11.5 seems to work) and using UEFI bootable media to do the capture and the deploy. See here for the complaint:
    http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/498508-disk-image-with-uefi

See here for a tutorial:
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/imaging-efiuefi-system-windows-8-and-symantec-ghost-usb

It could be that all you need is to rerun BCDBoot from a UEFI booted device to fix it. I cannot say for sure as I have not had experience with cloning a drive this way.

giovedì 23 ottobre 2014 14:59