none
Is it possible to change LAN connection name? RRS feed

• Domanda

• Hit there,

First off please note that I am not referring to the network adapter name such as "Local Area Connection". In Network and Sharing Centre, below the name of the adapter, is some name which I cannot understand where it comes from.

In this case on my PC it currently says "Network 9". If I change router, it will change to something else generic. Is there any way I can get rid of this? I've enabled "rename network" in group policy but that hasn't made a difference.

Picture of what I mean:

domenica 15 dicembre 2013 10:37

Risposte

• Hi,

I agree with Rick Dee and ArcticG.

In addition, as I known, there is variety of "Names" involving the Network aspects of the OS.

It comes from the Group name, Computer name, Wireless SSID, Router's Network Name, Network name, the Local Area Connection name, and the ID of the Local Network Connection. All but the latter can be easily Renamed.

Please refer the steps from this article: Rename a network connection

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows-vista/rename-a-network-connection

But it will only allow you to rename the adapter and not the perceived name of the connection itself.

By default Windows assigns to the connection name “Local Area Connection 1”,  and every time a change is made, it advances the number.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

mercoledì 18 dicembre 2013 01:50
    Moderatore

Tutte le risposte

• The "Network 9" is a Registry entry.  Each time a new network connection is recognized and new entry is made in the registry.  If you search the registry and if you feel comfortable deleting entries in the registry, you can delete older network entries and then delete the number 9 from the current one.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

domenica 15 dicembre 2013 13:05
  • Hi lgs141,

You can use powershell or command line to do this.

The command is : netsh interface set interface name = "Local Area Connection 9" newname = "NewName"

To retrieve the interface names use : netsh interface ipv4 show interface

Kind regards,

Gianni

domenica 15 dicembre 2013 15:36
  • Can you tell me where in particular this registry key is stored? The only key I can find relating to adapters only has the adapter name (like "LAN") but not this second description. If I search for "Network 9" nothing comes up, neither if I only search for "Network".

domenica 15 dicembre 2013 18:29
  • On two of my systems I found the entry @

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

domenica 15 dicembre 2013 20:05
  • Thanks for the pointer. I've been through all of keys contained in this section and unfortunately none of them contain the same network name. There are others like Network 7, 6, 4, and other networks I am familiar with, but not Network 9.

And a full search for "Network 9" returns no results within the registry. Strange.

lunedì 16 dicembre 2013 14:59
  • Hi,

I agree with Rick Dee and ArcticG.

In addition, as I known, there is variety of "Names" involving the Network aspects of the OS.

It comes from the Group name, Computer name, Wireless SSID, Router's Network Name, Network name, the Local Area Connection name, and the ID of the Local Network Connection. All but the latter can be easily Renamed.

Please refer the steps from this article: Rename a network connection

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows-vista/rename-a-network-connection

But it will only allow you to rename the adapter and not the perceived name of the connection itself.

By default Windows assigns to the connection name “Local Area Connection 1”,  and every time a change is made, it advances the number.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

mercoledì 18 dicembre 2013 01:50
    Moderatore
  • I have tried to delete the registry entry and it will not delete or change the entry.   I am using a base version of Window 8.1 so I don't have secpol. Is there a solution for me?
    domenica 11 gennaio 2015 14:30
  • I have tried to delete the registry entry and it will not delete or change the entry.   I am using a base version of Window 8.1 so I don't have secpol. Is there a solution for me?

The best way to find out is to post in the correct forum area.

This forum is for discussions directly related to the Windows 7 Operating System and since I don't use Windows 8.1 I have no idea what the significant differences and similarities are.

The correct area to post your question about your Windows 8.1 is in one of the Windows 8 IT Pro Category forums.

domenica 11 gennaio 2015 18:44
  • Hi,

I was tweaking my network and ran into this problem.

I fixed it, it's really quite simple, almost ridiculous.

Go to network and sharing center.

Under where is says "view your active networks" you should see 1 or 2 icons that look like a house.  In my case, 2 house icons because i'm connected via LAN cable and wireless.  

Just click on the house icon and BAM! you can change the Network Name.

I like free hugs!

:^D

• Proposto come risposta Rick Dee lunedì 12 gennaio 2015 20:37
    • Proposta come risposta annullata lgs141 martedì 13 gennaio 2015 08:23
    • Proposto come risposta John 83318 mercoledì 17 giugno 2015 01:35
    lunedì 12 gennaio 2015 18:29
  • This is truly unbelievable. A very simple and direct way to change the name.

Thanks Uncle BuckAxe!!

lunedì 12 gennaio 2015 20:39
  •   You can also change the icon if you don't like houses.

Bill

martedì 13 gennaio 2015 00:57
  • Uncle BuckAxe's response may certainly be helpful, but in my circumstance there is now way to click on the network. I work with many machines and none of the network connections have been clickable at any point (see picture in first post).

martedì 13 gennaio 2015 08:26
  • For a public network, on this Windows 7 machine , the icon is a bench.

Click on the bench:

and a window opens with the options described by Uncle Buckaxe.

However it appears that this icon may have been removed in Windows 8

• Modificato mystifeid martedì 13 gennaio 2015 09:38
    martedì 13 gennaio 2015 09:01
  • After modifying the network name to "Network 9", a search of the (Windows 7) registry revealed that this change had been reflected in just one place in the registry:
    the data for the value "ProfileName" had been modified to "Network 9" in this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\{9BBC5062-A01F-48DC-925C-691896A6962E}

(I am guessing that the GUID is unique to this machine so you will have to look through The GUID sub-keys of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

to find the one that contains a ProfileName of "Network 9")

Anyway, modifying the data for the "ProfileName" value to "Network 7" caused the new Network name to be displayed in Network and Sharing Center - after it was closed and reopened. The old network name persisted as a tooltip when hovering over the taskbar network icon but only until Explorer was restarted.

However, I have no idea if:
    - this is a valid and/or harmless way of changing the network name
    - or if this will work on Windows 8

• Modificato mystifeid martedì 13 gennaio 2015 11:17
    • Proposto come risposta ravisrilu venerdì 3 agosto 2018 00:14
    martedì 13 gennaio 2015 10:16
  • After changing the network name, either by using the registry or by clicking on the icon in Network and Sharing Center, and rebooting, the new network name is now also reflected as the data for a "WpadNetworkName" value in two other keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad\{9BBC5062-A01F-48DC-925C-691896A6962E}

and the equivalent user sub-key in HKEY_USERS

• Modificato mystifeid martedì 13 gennaio 2015 10:49
    martedì 13 gennaio 2015 10:49
  • =========== Best Answer ===========

I had done this before but so long ago I forgot.

Thanks.

To everyone else. You don't need to read anything else.

=======================================

giovedì 23 aprile 2015 09:19
  • Good show 'old boy. Simple and effective.
    • Proposto come risposta BJEvS martedì 16 febbraio 2016 05:13
    • Proposta come risposta annullata lgs141 martedì 16 febbraio 2016 09:01
    martedì 16 febbraio 2016 05:13
  • Just want to add that you need to run regedit as Administrator in order to traverse down the NetworkList (at least on Windows 10 you do). I discovered all sorts of old wi-fi connections stored here that I don't need, and was able to delete each profile not needed, and rename the ProfileName key as necessary to adjust what I wanted mine to say.
    giovedì 18 febbraio 2016 22:10
  • Found this really simple way.

Good luck. 

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-rename-active-network-connection-windows-7

venerdì 3 marzo 2017 01:41
  • Better than all the professional techs!  The simplest, easiest, most direct solution to the problem.  Who would've ever thought to click on the icon?!  Another bizarre solution to a windows problem you could never imagine.  Thank you so much for this elegant answer.
    • Modificato Tekon lunedì 3 aprile 2017 17:16
    lunedì 3 aprile 2017 17:14
  • This reply is a little late, but I'm posting it in case someone lands here searching for a similar fix.

Here's how to fix this:

Open registry editor (Win key + R) and type regedit.

Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Go through all the profiles until you find the one that needs the name changed.  Right click the "ProfileName" and choose modify.  You can then rename the network connection.

It won't change immediately, but will adopt the new name when you either reboot the machine or reestablish the network connection (e.g., disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable).

Not that hard to do, but it took me forever to find it!

• Proposto come risposta suffolktyke mercoledì 10 gennaio 2018 11:18
    venerdì 7 luglio 2017 20:42
  • On a current Windows 10 machine, it doesn't seem to be possible to change the LAN name through network and sharing centre - there are no pictures to click on, nothing like that. 

ericnix's regedit solution above worked well for me. And the LAN name changed immediately, no need to reboot or reconnect. So many thanks to him/her. 

• Modificato suffolktyke mercoledì 10 gennaio 2018 11:18
    • Proposto come risposta suffolktyke mercoledì 10 gennaio 2018 11:18
    • Proposta come risposta annullata suffolktyke mercoledì 10 gennaio 2018 11:18
    mercoledì 10 gennaio 2018 11:18
  • On a current Windows 10 machine, it doesn't seem to be possible to change the LAN name through network and sharing centre - there are no pictures to click on, nothing like that. 

ericnix's regedit solution above worked well for me. And the LAN name changed immediately, no need to reboot or reconnect. So many thanks to him/her. 

suffolktyke

And this is not a Windows 10 forum so what is the point of discussing a Windows 10 issue in a Windows 7 forum? This is a Windows 7 forum, not a Windows 10 forum.

Windows 10 forums are found @ https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

mercoledì 10 gennaio 2018 11:36
  • Irregardless of which forum this was supposed to go in -- it worked!  Thanks ericnix
    lunedì 5 febbraio 2018 19:25
  • Thanks man, I just used this now (december 2018) after looking for this for quite some time
    lunedì 24 dicembre 2018 09:04
  • Wow! I search for this issue everywhere and finds very long steps of solutions like Group Policy Editing or Registry Editing and never thought that it was very simple and easy. Thanks you Uncle BuckAxe :)
    giovedì 16 gennaio 2020 22:55