none
Why is there no "SEARCH OPTION" in the Windows Store? Apps missing be nice if I could find them ! RRS feed

• Domanda

• Since on this journey from Win 8 consumer preview to Win 8 retail preview   ..And no currently trying out Win 8 Pro...It verified if it was gonna give me back ( allowed to re-download ) the apps I was used/had in previous editions. The Store gives you a selection of YOU APPS from previous versions of the OS preview of apps you installed and currently would want to reinstall. Various versions of the Consumer preview I installed 2 out the 4 times i installed the OS seen I had installed the app Comixology. When the first time I installed Retail preview it didn't have it in my list nor was it listed in the store!  Same goes with Iheart Radio and Slacker Radio though numerous installments of the OS. Now trying out the Win 8 Pro 9200 version It showed I at one point no matter what PC I used ( I own a few and bought a new one recently ) It showed at one point I installed Comixology. Yet it didn't show Iheart Radio or Slacker in my install list of old to reinstall nor was it even in the Store!!!!   \\\So what the hell gives ?????   I mean If there was a SEARCH Option it would make it easier to track these Metro ( whatever they are calling it now -personally I think they should call it FRAMES as in Window Frames  :P  When you go on these programs sites they only offer up Apple or Android app downloads and nothing mentioning of Metro or Win 8 -which is understandable due to not being released yet but still if the Store can't comply with your history of app install base ( paid or free ) and you can't have the ability to retrieves said apps you once installed how can that be trusted if and when paid apps are bought if you are only to reinstall the entire OS and find that your app is not obtainable via offered through the main store or even in your downloads app install history. I hope they fix this issue as it's been pissing me off since this whole testing thing!!  

domenica 19 agosto 2012 04:48

Risposte

Tutte le risposte

• You can search! Go to Windows Store, bring up the Charms menu (Win+C) and press Search.

You can also just start typing when you are on the start menu and then choose to search in the Store.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

domenica 19 agosto 2012 10:04
  • Wow. That's really confusing.

So if I'm in the Windows store and perform a charms search, I'm actually searching the store and not my local computer? But if I'm in the charms on my start menu I can't search the store. That's not intuitive at all. There should be a search option within the store app itself. If I'm in the store and want to search my computer to run another program I need to switch to my Start screen first, then pull up the charms and search?

I get the whole "the charms are focused on the context of the running app"...but that's wonky and will confused the heck out of people. I, for example, had no idea how to search the store either until I happened on this thread.

domenica 19 agosto 2012 15:22
  • Not so confusing at all. Let me evolve this a bit. Windows 8 contains a search framework that any "metro" application can hook into. If you are on the start menu and start typing something it will search for applications installed on your machine, but if you look to the right you have a lot of search options so that you can search for settings, files and also all applications that use the search framework. That includes Windows Store so you can do a search on the start menu and get the search results for Store from there, just by clicking on Store to see the search results just for the Store.

If you have started a "metro" application and bring out the Charms menu that menu will be sort of customized for that particular application, meaning if you are in Windows Store and bring out the Charms menu the search button will take you straight to search in Store. But the thing is that even though Store is the default you are just one click away from searching in any other source.

To summarize the search feature in Windows 8 is really powerful and provides a unified way to search in any application and source.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

domenica 19 agosto 2012 15:58
  • Thanks for the tip.

Reminded me that the old conext menu (right click) is gone in Metro - and out comes the charms "new context" menu.

If you need a printer when printing from builtin metro PDF app - hit the new context (charms) menu as well.

So - just start thinking of the charms menu as the context menu in Metro. Thats the basic thing. Then it becomes inituitive and as with the old context menu - you can always go and explore what you can do. Only the new context "charms" context menu works cross web services (so its not just "local" as the old "object-oriented" context menu ... this one is more like service-oriented context menu)

domenica 19 agosto 2012 20:58
  • Wow. That's really confusing.

So if I'm in the Windows store and perform a charms search, I'm actually searching the store and not my local computer? But if I'm in the charms on my start menu I can't search the store. That's not intuitive at all. There should be a search option within the store app itself. If I'm in the store and want to search my computer to run another program I need to switch to my Start screen first, then pull up the charms and search?

I get the whole "the charms are focused on the context of the running app"...but that's wonky and will confused the heck out of people. I, for example, had no idea how to search the store either until I happened on this thread.

Hi SAS71

Why is it confusing?

If you display the Charms Bar and select Search, from within any Windows 8 App, the name of the app that will be searched is at the top of the Search bar.

You can select any other Microsoft App, or all Apps, Settings, or Files, from the list. There is no need to return to the Start Screen.

Regards

domenica 19 agosto 2012 21:25
    Moderatore
  • It is true that users need a few tips to successfully use Windows 8, but once they get those tips, they can be much more productive using the charms than they ever could without them.

The breakthrough technology of universal search and sharing between apps does require a paradigm shift, but it is worth it.  As IT pros, training of new features is just important as introducing them (We are in the Windows 8 IT Pros forum)

1. True: this requires some retraining

2. True, but with the retraining users will use the charms on ANY app, with no markings at all.

3. Someone who has been trained on Windows 8 for more than 5 minutes, and who already knows about the charms.

4. There are 5 charms.  Not that much to learn.  If you like, I can list them, but I'm sure you can find the documentation somewhere  ;)

5. The charms don't serve ads, and are pretty unobtrusive.  They only show up when you move your mouse to the upper right corner or the lower right corner of the screen, or if you press Windows-C, or if you have touch and you swipe in from the right.  Let me know if you see them come up any other way.

-- me --

lunedì 20 agosto 2012 00:35
  • thanx for the input everyone. Again that was not made clear until now that the win + C key was the search function outside of the main PC search -so basically it is an adaptable usage search engine ok cool ......quick grip oon that note ...I have used Slacker Radio via the app /Metor interface since the 2 previews - now I couldn't find it until the search as it was somehow removed from my install base history in the Your Apps option. So finding it and locating it online it kept saying Soory this app is not available  for your PC ....What the hell !@ ?? What does that mean ?? I alos got this with WIn 8 pro ( so that eliminates it being the RTM 90 day trial version having issue I'm currently using!  Is it something to do with the SLACKER RADIO app ? Can anyone else get it ?? Just curious
    lunedì 20 agosto 2012 05:52
  • I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue then. The solution would be to just place a search link in the Store...at the top...where 99% of people expect to find it. That link could either open the Charms bar automatically, or tell you "hey, in order to search the store it's easy...just open the Charms bar and search". That's the easy solution...not telling people to retrain themselves.

Going around and telling each user, "sorry...you need to be retrained" over and over again, is the equivalent of a Saturday Night Live skit.

In any case...

lunedì 20 agosto 2012 14:10
  • I have to admit I had no clue that you could search the store like
    that, but once you do find or someone tells you about it it's easy to
    remember, and that opens open thinking about it as a context search.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    lunedì 20 agosto 2012 14:17
  • I have to agree. M$ not only expects people to kindly converge to the Win 8 gods but also know how to use their tools and how they function ( Metro Apps ).I have never ben one for the Win Key + ___= nor was I a big fan of the late 90's early 2000 keyboard colored key search's or formations of the F keys blown up taking over the keyboard. So if one did not know how would they do the search ...most basic apps or sites have what is called a tried and true form called the SEARCH BAR!!  Would that have hampered the Store's ability in anyway?  NO
    lunedì 20 agosto 2012 18:18
  • I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this issue then. The solution would be to just place a search link in the Store...at the top...where 99% of people expect to find it. That link could either open the Charms bar automatically, or tell you "hey, in order to search the store it's easy...just open the Charms bar and search". That's the easy solution...not telling people to retrain themselves.

Going around and telling each user, "sorry...you need to be retrained" over and over again, is the equivalent of a Saturday Night Live skit.

In any case...

Hi SAS71

The main point, like Chief Scientist stated, is consistency across all apps.

A new user only has to be shown this procedure one time and the 'training' is complete. If this was an optional component for the app developer, then it would be a can of worms for the user because some apps would not even include a search function.

Regards

lunedì 20 agosto 2012 21:15
    Moderatore
  • Sounds great on paper.
    lunedì 20 agosto 2012 21:43

• Very unconvincing speech.  Not even a good salespitch.  Who are you trying to fool?  Yourself?

Tell it to a hundred million consumers.  Train them.  They are the audience for this new "paradigm".

Certainly not IT Pros.

---Nice try.

Forced change is painful.  Just ask my six year old, he throws a fit any time we replace something old with something new, and immediately proclaims just how terrible the new thing is before even trying it, sometimes before even seeing it.  Why?  Because it isn't what he is used to.  It is different.  Not because the change is bad.

Is the new system completely intuitive?  No.  Is it easy to pick up?  Yes, once you get over the fact that our old friend the Start button is no more.

lunedì 20 agosto 2012 22:36
  • Sorry if I offended you by using an anecdote - the actions of kids are simply an easy way to explore the actions of adults.  Growing up doesn't change base instincts.  Most people (myself included) tend to have an immediate distrust of change when it is not change that they are instigating, when it is forced upon them.  What better example is there than a child, where many big decisions are made for them?

As for the new interface, I didn't catch on until it was revealed to me (or I hit my head against the wall, can't remember), so I'm not saying it is easy.  Better education is needed, but going back to the old way doesn't help.  The five or six questions I have answered today are questions that I myself had, and wished someone had answered for me.  This is a drastic change from old versions of Windows.  I even told my boss yesterday that I can't see his company (I'm a contractor) switching any time soon - too much new stuff to learn.  That being said, once there are some good training tools available, I do believe that this OS will be a good choice - it does feel more intuitive after only a few days of use.  A training course is likely necessary for new users, however my guess is that this will wind up being a beneficial change (long-run) for IT departments, because the system does feel more aimed towards the casual user.  No matter what program you use, the search and settings are in one easy place.

I admittedly do not have a lot of files in my Skydrive, however the file that is there is purple, while the folders are blue.  Not sure if all files are like that, and I really do not have the time to explore those differences.  That being said, the number in the bottom-right seems pretty self-explanatory, the number of child elements in the container.  I barely remember the old Skydrive interface, however I do remember it felt clunky.  Whether or not the changes are a true improvement, it does feel more streamlined.

Metro (or whatever it is called now) is confusing.  It is scary.  (My word, not yours, nor am I trying to imply it.)  It is definitely different from the past.  But it makes sense.  Same interface on every MS product: Xbox, Windows, and Phone.  Microsoft didn't exactly pioneer this idea, either.  Apple has been creeping in that direction for a while now.  As I said previously, I can move around faster in the new Start menu than I could in the old, and I can actually do more without ever putting a hand on the mouse - for anyone that is waist-deep in computers, regardless of their specific job, that tends to be a good thing.

There are a lot of growing pains here, for both Microsoft and the consumer.  Has MS gotten it right?  Not yet, not entirely, but the goal is clear.

If your complaint is on broken functionality, then I wouldn't disagree with you.  There is plenty of that, and I think it was a bit foolish of Microsoft not to have a Connect site up for such things.  (If I'm wrong on that, and there is one, please point me that way.  I'm still stuck with Explorer.exe crashing from click-scrolling.)

As for disliking the big changes, well, I can't agree with you on that at all.  Again, it wasn't an easy transition, but now that I'm here, I don't want to go back.  I want the true bugs fixed, but not having a search bar seems more like being stuck on old ways of doing things than a real problem.  That kind of thing can even lead to puking.

lunedì 20 agosto 2012 23:54
  • Unfortunately, you took my words out of context, from two different subjects.  My comment on Skydrive was regarding the differences between the old and new interfaces, and was not at all about the usability of the new interface.

That being the case, can you please explain the point you were trying to make?

martedì 21 agosto 2012 00:16
  • Consistency across platforms must be done in at least two ways, as Microsoft only has control of Microsoft platforms.  The skydrive app does not have that search box, as it is an app.  It will run on any Win8 platform. The Skydrive site does, as it cannot rely on the Win8 search function.  Microsoft is forcing you to jump in head-first with Win8, so there isn't a search box where one is not needed.  Not needed, as it is redundant. 

This obviously will not work with the web version, as the Win8 search jewel is not there.  The integration is not there.  Who knows what device is being used to access the site.

So, yes, for Win8 it is unnecessary.  For web applications (which are targeted for Win8 devices and non-MS devices) they include the search box, as it is a necessary object in that setting.  Having a global search would not make sense in the Skydrive site, as it is only the Skydrive site.  Nothing else to hook.

If you look at the two side-by-side, the experience is consistent without creating redundancy.

martedì 21 agosto 2012 01:40
  • Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for.
    giovedì 10 gennaio 2013 20:41
  • Uh yes. Very confusing. Good lord just put a fricking search box in there. My god this interface sucks.
    sabato 7 dicembre 2013 05:37
  • put a fricking search box in there

Are you still on W8?  W8.1 has changed MUF Search, apparently in answer to such complaints as were raised in this thread but IMO it is now less elegant and less coherent than it was.  Win-Q isn't even hooked into the Store app any more.  Win-Q still works for MUF IE but not from a swiped Search.  I wonder why?  Oversight?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

sabato 7 dicembre 2013 19:18
  • Thank you!!!!
    giovedì 4 dicembre 2014 22:07
  • Maybe this worked in 2012, but under Windows 10 Pro in 2019 nothing happens when you press the Win+C combo.
    sabato 7 settembre 2019 18:44