none
Unable to connect to a share folder on Windows Server 2008 trough VPN when connecting from within a network RRS feed

• 質問

• On our head office network I defined a L2TP/PPTP VPN within a TP-Link router setting to allow connection from outside office to two local servers (Windows Server 2008) where there are few shared folders and a web application. When at home, with my laptop computer (Windows 10) connected to the Internet (hotspot with my telephone) I can connect to the office via VPN and access both the web application and the shared folders.

Problem starts when I want to access the shared folders via VPN from a LAN computer (Windows 10) in another office site. VPN starts normally and I can even access the web application on the server. I get an IP address for the PPP Adapter VPN  in the subnet address range of the head office LAN and I can even ping the two head office servers, but there is no way to access the shared folders when I try to map them as network drives.

When using ipconfig on the home computer (working fine) and on the second office LAN computer (not accessing the shared folders), here is what I see:

Home computer -

PPP Adapter VPN: IPv4 Address 10.105.40.201, Subnet mask 255.255.255.255, Default gateway 0.0.0.0

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi: IPv4 Address 192.168.43.100, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.43.1

Second office LAN computer -

PPP Adapter VPN: IPv4 Address 10.105.40.200, Subnet mask 255.255.255.255, Default gateway 0.0.0.0

Ethernet adapter: IPv4 address 192.168.0.30, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Default gateway 192.168.0.1

This is what I have tried:

1. Enabled SMB1, client and server, on Windows Features;
    2. Changed the workgroup name on the remote LAN computer to be the same as the workgroup in the head office network (this solved the problem on my home laptop);
    3. Verified that the Workstation service is running on the remote LAN computer;
    4. Verified that Network discovery and file and print sharing is enabled on remote LAN computer;

I suppose that there is nothing more to do on VPN settings on the router or on the server, once everything work fine with my home computer using the VPN.

I am stuck at this point and cannot find a similar problem description (and possible solution) on posts on the Internet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2019年10月19日 17:06

すべての返信

• Hi ,

>>but there is no way to access the shared folders when I try to map them as network drives.

Did you mean that you access the shared folder from map drive? Have you tried access the folder from Windows Explorer directly ?

Is there any error message when you access the shared folder?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

2019年10月21日 7:17
  • Hi, 

when connected with VPN I need to access a shared folder. When I open File Explorer in Windows I do not see the remote server name under the Network link, so I try to map a network drive to access the shared folder on the remote server. 

I tried using both  the server name (\\servername\share) and the server IP address (\\10.105.40.110\share). 

Unfortunately it does not succeed to access the share, giving a message like "It is not possible to connect to the folder.....".

But, as I said, I can ping the remote server and I can use a web app on it or access the remote router trough its web page.

2019年10月21日 12:54
  • Hi ,

Please check the SMBserver log on the remote server to see if there are something related for us to troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

2019年10月22日 2:40
  • Hi, 

in the SMBServer log I found only an old message saying : 

A client attempted to access the server using SMB1 and was rejected because SMB1 file sharing support is disabled.

Guidance:

An administrator has disabled server support for SMB1. Clients running Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 R2 and earlier will not be able to access this server. Clients running Windows Vista / Windows Server 2008 and later no longer require SMB1. To determine which clients are attempting to access this server using SMB1, enable SMB1 access auditing by running the following command:

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters /v AuditSmb1Access /t REG_DWORD -d 1 /f

but as I said it is an old message. Now SMB1 is enabled.

I then activated the audit to determine which clients are requesting access via SMB1, as suggested in the message.

I could see that it is auditing clients in the server LAN and clients connected via VPN that succefully access the share folder. It does not audit VPN clients that try to map the share folder as a network drive but do not succeed. It means that these clients are  blocked before their requests arrive to SMB1.

2019年10月22日 13:37
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your updating and highly appreciate your effort and time!

Based on your situation , we might need to use network monitor to analyze the traffic.

However, analyze network traffic is beyond forum support level. If the issue is urgent, I would suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

Here is the link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051701/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,

Candy

2019年10月23日 2:09