none
Question on restoring a mailbox RRS feed

• 質問

• Hello,

When restoring a mailbox - for example, user1 -  from a backup using something like

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceDatabase DB1 -SourceStoreMailbox "GUID" -TargetMailbox user1

...I see that the restored mailbox contains the items from the "backup version of the user1 mailbox" as well as the more recent items created/received after the backup had been taken.

Q1: Do these more recent items exist in the mailbox after restoring a backup due to the logs that still contain the latest mailbox transactions?

Q2: If Q1=yes then after restoring a backup that is much older then the current log files the target mailbox will contain the items only up to the backup date?

I mean that if, for example, on 01.05.2019 I restore a mailbox backup taken on 01.04.2018 the logs files that were being used on ~01.04.2018 have already been truncated and they can't be used to roll forward the recovered mailbox. Or do I understand anything wrong?

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

2019年4月24日 11:46

回答

すべての返信

• Hi MF47,

The New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet to restore a soft-deleted or disconnected mailbox. By default, after the

mailbox in the source mailbox database is in a soft-deleted/disable state, no more items stored in the mailbox. For more details, please see the article below:

New-MailboxRestoreRequest

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailboxes/new-mailboxrestorerequest?view=exchange-ps

Please check if the recent items are from the target mailbox itself.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2019年4月25日 2:43
  • Hi Kelvin,

the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet can also be used to restore a non-diconnected mailbox - you just restore a specific mailbox (from a recovery db) into the SAME WORKING target mailbox: this results in the recovering the items up to the backup date while also preserving the items created/received in/by this mailbox after the backup date.

Regards,
    Michael

2019年4月25日 7:09
  • Hi Michael.

1.How did you backup mailbox database and log files? Full backups or differential backups?
    2.When you restore the database and it log files, to the location you will use for recovery database, have you checked transaction log files are the same with the one for backup?

Mailboxes in an recovery DB can't be connected to user ad accounts and the new items wouldn’t be stored in the mailbox. To allow a user to access the data in a mailbox in an RDB, the mailbox must be merged into an existing mailbox, or exported to a folder. 

Regards,
    Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

2019年4月26日 12:29
  • Hi Kelvin,

1. How did you backup mailbox database and log files?  - Full.

2. When you restore the database and it log files, to the location you will use for recovery database, have you checked transaction log files are the same with the one for backup? - sorry, didn't understand that: "transaction log files are the same with the one for backup". For example, on 20.04.2019 I restore the full db backup taken on 10.04.2019 to the RDB and then restore a user mailbox by using

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceDatabase RDB1 -SourceStoreMailbox "GUID" -TargetMailbox user1 (sorry - I've made a mistake in the initial post - the source db is obviously the recovery db!!!)

- this results in the items recovered up to 10.04.2019 + all item created between 10.04 and 20.04 are retained.

"Mailboxes in an recovery DB can't be connected to user ad accounts and the new items wouldn’t be stored in the mailbox. " - sure,  I've never said that. Those mailboxes can, however, be restored into "working" mailboxes.

• 編集済み MF47 2019年4月26日 12:47
    2019年4月26日 12:45
  • Hi Michael.

Did you recover the backup data with Windows Server backup? If so, please check the location option, select 'Recover to another location', rather than the original location, which including new items after backup. Then restore data using a recovery database one more time, it should be no new items after backup in the restored mailbox.

Restore data using a recovery database

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/high-availability/disaster-recovery/restore-data-using-recovery-dbs?view=exchserver-2019

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

2019年4月29日 8:59
  • "Then restore data using a recovery database one more time, it should be no new items after backup in the restored mailbox." - that's exactly what I'm doing and I don't understand how the items created AFTER the backup still exist in the mailbox just restored!
    2019年4月29日 9:24
  • Hi Michael,

I tested in my Exchange lab and it works as normal.

1.Do a full backup for the mailbox database (select VSS Full backup) through Windows Server Backup on 4/29/2019. Then recover the data files. Please note the backup status is not scheduled and backup time.

2.On 'Select Items to Recover' option, we could review the items to recover. It's clear to see all transaction log files modified date is not after 4/29/2019.

3.Select another location to store recovered data files.

4.After recovering successfully, the recovered log files are on the specified location.

5.Restore data using a recovery database. Detailed process please refer to the link in my last reply.

Please check if your operation is correct. It’s also suggested that do a new full backup, then recover, check the log files date on step 2.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

2019年5月2日 1:55
  • Hi Michael,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

2019年5月7日 8:51
  • Hello Kelvin,

Please excuse me for the delay - was away on a short vacation.

Regarding the restoring procedure: the only difference in my case is the "Restore mode": according to MS documentation we must select ~"Application restore/recovery" (don't remember exactly now) - in other words we must restore the application, NOT the Exchange files! I'll post the pictures a bit later.

Regards,
    Michael

2019年5月12日 20:30
  • Here's the today's (14.05.20196) test:

There are four messages created after 10.04.2019, including the message received today, 14.05.2019:

I delete the message received  on 30/01/2019 (from both Inbox and Deleted items folders):

The result:

I then restore the backup taken on 10.04.2019:

I restore the Exchange application to another location (C:\ExchRestore), create the restore database DB01 that will be using the .edb and log files from the restored database. Then I recover the mailbox:

Here's the recovered mailbox:

As you see the deleted message has been restored and all messages received AFTER 10/04/2019 were left intact! The problem is that I don't understand what make them exist in the mailbox after it has been (or should have been) overwritten by the restored version of the mailbox...

Regards,
    Michael

• 編集済み MF47 2019年5月14日 11:41 typo
    2019年5月14日 11:39
  • Hi Michael,

It wouldn't be overwrote, the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet is to extract data from the recovered database. The recovered data is merged into an existing mailbox, without disturbing user access to current data.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

2019年5月19日 6:15
  • Hi Kelvin,

From practice I see that the restored data is merged into the existing mailbox but I haven't seen the corresponding theory - the only information regarding New-MailboxRestoreRequest (at least that I've seen so far) is as follows:

Use the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet to restore a soft-deleted or disconnected mailbox. This cmdlet starts the process of moving content from the soft-deleted mailbox, disabled mailbox, or any mailbox in a recovery database into a connected primary or archive mailbox.

...this paragraph does not explain what will happen to the target mailbox: should it be completely overwritten or the data restored should be merged with the more recent mailbox data. Have you seen any other documentation on the matter? I just want to be sure there are no exceptions to the process of merging the restored data and there is no possibility to completely overwrite a mailbox be using the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet.

Regards,
    Michael

2019年5月19日 19:13
  • Hi Michael,

"You can use the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet to extract data from an RDB. After extraction, the data can be exported to a folder or merged into an existing mailbox. RDBs enable you to recover data from a backup or copy of a database without disturbing user access to current data." For more information, please refer to the following article:

Recovery databases

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams

2019年5月20日 2:04
  • Hi Kelvin,

Thank you very much for help!

Regards,
    Michael

2019年5月23日 10:40